http://www.theplaidzebra.com/armed-rangers-fight-to-protect-the-last-male-northern-white-rhino-left-on-earth/

http://www.realfarmacy.com/poachers-hunt-endangered-african-animals-woman-hunts-poachers/

quote from the article:
African park rangers are in serious need of assistance, as she mentions, “they lost about 187 guys last year over trying to save rhinos and elephants.”

Stuff like this makes me sad and angry
But it makes me sort of weirdly proud that there are people out there trying to do something about it, thoughts?
I really wish I could help them, Rhinos are awesome and the use of the horn in medicine really pisses me off. VETPAW is now my favourite wildlife protection agency too.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
human horn is a potent aphrodisiac
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Something going extinct in my lifetime?

EDIT:

Looked it up and 10 things have been declared extinct since 2010.

Holt shit.

3 things in 2000.
3 in 1990s.
4 in 1980s.

What's with this huge number of extinctions recently?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Last edited by Momentosis at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by snipelfritz

Poached are the worst kind of egg cmon now

edit:
Quote by Momentosis
What's with this huge number of extinctions recently?

Turns out life is more fragile than you think. Doesn't take much to send a species into decline and then from there it's just a matter of time. De-forestation, over-fishing, invasive species, urban development, rising temperatures all kinds of things can have an effect. It always makes me sad when I hear about species' going extinct.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Apr 12, 2015,
Poaching is bad m'kay.

Kinessa Johnson is a US Army veteran who served for 4 years in Afghanistan, this week she arrived in Africa to take on a different kind of enemy. Her new mission is, as she puts it, “We’re going over there to do some anti-poaching, kill some bad guys, and do some good.”

People like this scare me.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I'm not scared by her equipment, I'm scared by her 'lol just gonna go shoot up some baddies nbd‘ statement as if they're cartoon villains poaching just for the hell of it.

Trivialisation of both killing and the victims' lives and all that jazz.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 12, 2015,
Yahyah I know what you mean, though maybe it's easier to trivialize it when you're in the thick of it. Might be a way of rationalizing it for some people.

Although she does say "We don't operate with the intent to kill anyone." in response to this question on reddit "Have you or a team you've worked with actually killed any poachers or is your goal to only ever scare them away from poaching?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/30b00p/iama_female_afghanistan_veteran_and_current/
Yeah I saw that statement but when you also have the remark that I 'quoted' and the fact that she seems to be advertising her cause with full military equipment it seems kinda sketchy.

Like don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the cause is justified and fair in itself, at least to some degree, I'd just be more comfortable with the whole thing if they took a more reserved approach. But hey they're not asking for funding or help or anything, so it's just me acting smart and scratching my ass.

And you know, it's just some woman's statement, I'm sure that people who are gonna volunteer their lives to help animals have a fair bit of good intent in them.

Would still be nice to see them take a more understanding approach to the poachers' actions because this is bound to be interpreted as 'Westerners thinking they run the world' by some people who'll be affected by this.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 12, 2015,
You know, I was gonna start this whole discussion about justifying the poachers actions, and social inequality, sustainability, the right to kill, standards of living and shit and so I thought I'd just back out and say It'd be nice if people were nicer

have a good day or night depending on whatever time it is where you live lol
If We Don't Want Animals To Go Extinct, But We Also Want The Earth To Progress As Naturally As Possible, Why Do We Keep And Breed Animals At The Zoo And Other Nature Parks?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Baby Joel
If We Don't Want Animals To Go Extinct, But We Also Want The Earth To Progress As Naturally As Possible, Why Do We Keep And Breed Animals At The Zoo And Other Nature Parks?

Because we can.

No other reason necessary really, same as it's ever been.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
People are animals and animals need to hunt and kill so it's either they kill their own species or others you can't have neither.
On the bright side for animal welfare: the Thai government is relocating all the tigers from one of the famous tiger temples to zoos and sanctuaries. I hope they actually go through with this but the fact that they're even considering this is a step in the right direction
cat
They should let people own and raise said animals. Cows don't seem to be going extinct anytime soon.
this is literally just another story people can pretend to care about for a day or two
pinga
Quote by Momentosis
Something going extinct in my lifetime?

I mean, technically, hundreds of life forms go extinct every day, we just don't sympathize with the smaller life forms
Quote by Baby Joel

I can't believe some people type like this all the time.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
It really is terrible to consider the poaching of poachers 'good'.

A lot of things could be fixed if consumers were just more aware of things and not demand those types of products anymore. E.g. "I'd rather look at coral reef/fish exhibits than an enslaved dolphin".

The Ancient Chinese medicine/homeopathy stuff especially needs some awareness. The stuff they do for bear bile is just repulsive not to get too sadboy, but I read one story where a Mother Bear broke out of her cage to suffocate her baby, and then suicide by banging her head into the wall.

If an animal and a MOM is smart enough/tragic enough to kill her cub because she knows what will happen if it stays alive.... wow.
Quote by Fat Lard
It really is terrible to consider the poaching of poachers 'good'.

A lot of things could be fixed if consumers were just more aware of things and not demand those types of products anymore. E.g. "I'd rather look at coral reef/fish exhibits than an enslaved dolphin".

The Ancient Chinese medicine/homeopathy stuff especially needs some awareness.

You sound like a communist!!!
Quote by Jmoarguitar
You sound like a communist!!!

Far from it. I support Capitalism for many reasons, but I also believe that we need smarter, more aware consumers for it to work the most effectively, and have competition play out and improve the world rather than the less competitive competitors having the ability to stay afloat simply thanks to consumer ignorance.
Quote by Eastwinn
thread got naïve real quick

If people realize x is snake oil and decide to stop buying it, wont people naturally move on and look for something else to sell?
Quote by Fat Lard
If people realize x is snake oil and decide to stop buying it, wont people naturally move on and look for something else to sell?
People are idiots and need to be told what to by other people who are idiots who need to... wait a minute here.
Quote by Fat Lard
Like, for instance, stop buying things with high fructose corn syrup just because it might be a little cheaper, and eventually we won't have so much corn subsidies.

https://youtu.be/W1xmGK8PEJw

i agree with what you said here, but i can't watch that vid because Penn is a DOOSH.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug