Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so...Hi.

Well, It's been a while since I last played through a multi-fx pedal. So, last time I tried one, about 15 years ago, they used to sound very fizzy/artificial/tiny and lifeless compared to their analogue counterparts.

However, I'm aware that technology has evolved tremendously in this field, but I didn't have the chance to test one of those new units in person.

Anyway, I'm interest to know if it's worth buying one. I'm talking mostly in terms of tone and feel, which is what worries me the most.

I'm particularly interested in the Digitech RP360 XP and the Zoom G3X.

Which one sounds better? Should I buy one of these? Or should I save my money to buy a handful of Joyo pedals instead?

I have another question about these multi-fx pedals.

How do they sound and feel compared to Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Revalver, etc?

I'm very familiar with those programs and I'm aware that they can sound excellent in the context of a mix, but in terms of feel and dynamics they don't get anywhere close to the real thing, in my opinion.

So, these multi-fx units sound any better than their PC counterparts? Is it a waste of money to buy one since I already own a bunch of VST guitar effects/amp simulation suites?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Morgan.
Last edited by morganrafael at Apr 12, 2015,
I don't know much about the mfx pedals, but I will say that with good cab IRs the VST amps can sound ok. Not really comparable to a tube amp but for the convenience of writing you can't beat them imo.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I've never tried the Digitech, but I can say that the Zoom you're looking at is an excellent pedal. Great sounding effects and unbeatable for features.

You should also check out Line 6's latest offerings - personally I prefer the Zoom but others have different opinions, you need to find out what your own opinion is by trying everything you can much like when you buy any other kit.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I don't know much about the mfx pedals, but I will say that with good cab IRs the VST amps can sound ok. Not really comparable to a tube amp but for the convenience of writing you can't beat them imo.

Thanks man. I already own two tube amps, and yeah, the software simulations can actually sound very close, but in terms of feel and dynamics, they aren't actually comparable.

In my opinion, VSTs are great for mixing, but not so good if you just want to have fun and play guitar.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in the quality of the effects that come bundled in the above mentioned multi-effects pedals.
^ +1
I really like the Line 6 POD's. They have good FX and I prefer their amp modeling over the other company's

But you will never get the dynamics of a real amp when using any modeler (at this time) but they have gotten much better

EDIT: what did you do to Mr Bean?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by GaryBillington
...you need to find out what your own opinion is by trying everything you can much like when you buy any other kit.

Thanks man. The problem is that I don't live anywhere near a decent guitar store where I could possible try and test the gear myself.

Most of the times, I buy stuff on the internet and make my choices based to on the opinions of others.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ +1
I really like the Line 6 POD's. They have good FX and I prefer their amp modeling over the other company's

But you will never get the dynamics of a real amp when using any modeler (at this time) but they have gotten much better

EDIT: what did you do to Mr Bean?

I already own two very nice tube amps, a Blackstar and a Vox. So I will be running the digital effects through them anyway, which will certainly make them feel richer and more responsive.

Ps: I didn't do anything to Mr.Bean, man! You should get your eyes checked!
Quote by morganrafael
Thanks man. I already own two tube amps, and yeah, the software simulations can actually sound very close, but in terms of feel and dynamics, they aren't actually comparable.

In my opinion, VSTs are great for mixing, but not so good if you just want to have fun and play guitar.

Anyway, I'm mostly interested in the quality of the effects that come bundled in the above mentioned multi-effects pedals.

If you want just effects, check out the line6 M series. TC electronics is quite good and maybe even some eventide or strymon units would be ok if you just want something specific.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by morganrafael

I already own two very nice tube amps, a Blackstar and a Vox. So I will be running the digital effects through them anyway, which will certainly make them feel richer and more responsive.

Ps: I didn't do anything to Mr.Bean, man! You should get your eyes checked!

Find yourself a used Line 6 POD HD500 on ebay. you really can not beat the modeling of them for what they cost.

Or if your only playing at home look for a used 11 rack
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
360xp is good unit. Also Boss me 80. Avoid HD500 at all costs if you are going through an amp. They suck large quantities of dead penguin dick. Too fiddly, sounds not reliable between sessions.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Find yourself a used Line 6 POD HD500 on ebay. you really can not beat the modeling of them for what they cost.
Quote by crackerjack123
Avoid HD500 at all costs if you are going through an amp. They suck large quantities of dead penguin dick.

I'd say this sums up every advice thread ever
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by crackerjack123
360xp is good unit. Also Boss me 80. Avoid HD500 at all costs if you are going through an amp. They suck large quantities of dead penguin dick. Too fiddly, sounds not reliable between sessions.

This is what is commonly known in the vernacular as "horseshit".
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Have to say I'm a fan of multi effects. I use a boss GT-10 and love it. Have to say I dont use the effects tremendously, other than reverb and delay, but its nice to always have options. Played in a bunch of working cover bands for years and would always have what I needed for any given song. Used the slicer for boulevard of broken dreams, pitch shifter for some RATM. Could usually come up with any sound I needed.

People say they're no good but I've played with my other guitarists whove had triple rectifiers and marshalls, and in a live settting to the public I got by just fine. Metal, rock, whatever. Takes some learning at first and you gotta read the manual but once you get it theyre a joy to use. Can program anything, and I mean anything, to work the way you want at the push of a button. I love that I can change all the parameters at once from amps,cabinets, and effects, or use it as indivdual stompboxes.
Quote by GaryBillington
I'd say this sums up every advice thread ever

Hahahaha! I couldn't agree more, mate.

Anyway, I've just watched this Digitech RP360 demo video and I must confess I'm quite impressed with the quality of the effects. They sound amazing to my ears, even the overdrives, which usually are a weakest spot in the digital world. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkkd2yZJWs

Morgan.
I got a s#!t head, a crate gx2200h, and i use it only as a power amp and run my amp simulators through the effects loop to my cabinet. I can also go direct to any mixer, with digital audio, Firewire, PC through USB and can also program midi parameters for my bard to operate in my DAW. I can do anything with it. Now if only I wasnt so broke I'd own an Axe Fx!!!
Not endorsing the Gt-10, its old, just my positive feedback on multi-effects. I think they are the bomb. I come from the past when they didnt exist. Had the first gen. multi effects that were barely programmable, been through lots of them.
I have a Zoom MS-50G sitting in my closet. It's not the best multiFX ever, but I find that it's good to have one on hand, especially if you're playing in cover bands. I don't use reverb/delay/pitch shift/tremolo/flanger in my regular rig, and sometimes I need them for a cover. It's also good to have more options for the effects I do use.

I had a friend who had a Boss GT-10. That thing was pretty...boss (sorry. Had to do it).

I used to have a Digitech RP350. It was shitty, but probably sounded about the same as the Zoom.

My first amp was a Line6 Spider III. I will never purchase a Line6 product again. It still sounds like butt to this day. I use it as an end table to prop up my mixing board these days. I've heard the Line6 POD is good, but I'll probably never bother with it.
I use the POD HD500 myself and am quite happy with it, both for its effects and amp sims. The nice thing is that if you run it in 4CM, you can use it specifically for your effects, placing them before and after the preamp. You can also completely bypass your amp's preamp and just use the POD's sims with your power amp section. I find this is a great way to give the sims a little more warmth and life if you are running a tube amp. Also, I believe that this is an optional setup that you could do with the later Boss GT series.

The only real drawback is your gonna need some patience to get things setup to your liking. The manuals are a great resource and there's plenty of info online to get you pointed in the right direction though.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Last edited by KillRoy Ver 3.0 at Apr 12, 2015,
I recomd the Zoom series
I'm very happy with my G5. Its soo much better than past versions.
Quote by isaimeph
I recomd the Zoom series
I'm very happy with my G5. Its soo much better than past versions.

What's your playing style, brother?

What do you think of its overdriven blues/classic rock tones?
I own both the Zoom G3 and a Digitech RP355. I love screwing around on the whammy but the RP doesn't compare well to the Zoom G3. The G3 is simply better in every measure, besides the whammy.
Ease of use, quick accessibility of all the features, looper time, looper functions, sound quality, fx quality, headphones tone quality, material quality (the G3 is built like a tank, as they say, the Digitech is built like a toy). As I said, I own both and the G3 is clearly the better mfx by a landslide. I couldn't comprehend the opposite opinion.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you want a couple more examples of what the Zoom can do, check out my soundcloud (link in sig).

All the guitars on Breaking The Law & Enola Gay were done solely using presets on my Zoom G1on, all the effects on that come from the G3 & G5 (the G1on has a slightly reduced number of effects).

On Enola Gay, the bass was recorded using a bass patch on the G1on as well, and the drums for that were done using a Zoom drum machine which (I think) uses the same engine as the drums on the G3. Not 100% sure on the drums bit though.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Arby911

Why? I owned an HD500 for 3 months and never came close to getting a decent sound after many many many hours of farting around with parameters, input/output settings etc. It disappointed every time. 3 months is a long time my friend. I have put a band together, written and recorded and album, got a publishing deal, toured the album and disbanded the band in a 3 month period. That is productivity, not spending 3 months to get mediocre noises out of over priced, over complicated and underachieving FizzWare. Just my opinion from experience. That is what advice is about, passing on personal experience, not repeating some bollocks you read on the web.
Quote by crackerjack123
Why? I owned an HD500 for 3 months and never came close to getting a decent sound after many many many hours of farting around with parameters, input/output settings etc. It disappointed every time. 3 months is a long time my friend. I have put a band together, written and recorded and album, got a publishing deal, toured the album and disbanded the band in a 3 month period. That is productivity, not spending 3 months to get mediocre noises out of over priced, over complicated and underachieving FizzWare. Just my opinion from experience. That is what advice is about, passing on personal experience, not repeating some bollocks you read on the web.

Horseshit and bullshit? If you got a publishing deal it should be easy to back your claim up. Let's hear this published, touring, 3 month band!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
the only downside of the ZoomG5 in my opinion is that its not as easy to use live. :c
Quote by Arby911

He said going through an amp, I see no problem there. They are tone suck with a tube amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by lucky1978
Horseshit and bullshit? If you got a publishing deal it should be easy to back your claim up. Let's hear this published, touring, 3 month band!

Go back through back catalogue of Pinnacle records in uk about 18 years **** face. Radio 1 and 2 airplay and supported magnum and saxon. Sometimes you bedroom heros with zero experience or knowledge get right on my tits. Goodnight.
Quote by crackerjack123
Go back through back catalogue of Pinnacle records in uk about 18 years **** face. Radio 1 and 2 airplay and supported magnum and saxon. Sometimes you bedroom heros with zero experience or knowledge get right on my tits. Goodnight.

Bullshit it is.
You can't blame me for calling something that looks like a duck, a duck.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 13, 2015,
Quote by crackerjack123
:/ It seems like you only show up on UG when POD HD500's are mentioned. I think you just had a bad experience with them. Many people like them and many professionals use them, some using just the unit and a direct out.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
He said going through an amp, I see no problem there. They are tone suck with a tube amp.
Multi-effects like the POD can work with a tube amp if used correctly. It has to be in the effects loop. The distortions with the 4-cable method are objectively pretty meh, but everything else is good. Through the front end of an amp, yeah it would sound like garbage.

+1 to the Zoom G3. Again, distortions and cab sims are meh but the rest of the effects are great. Easy unit to use as well. You can use the distortions and cab sims but you'll have to be very particular with how you set up your tones. I would suggest to TS to use standalone dirt boxes and a nice tube amp, and use the G3 for reverbs, delays, etc. I do have a nice "Djent" tone with the amp sims on my G3, but I have to be very careful with how the amp he G3 is routed to is set.

The RP series is good for beginners in multi-effects, but it doesn't compare to the quality of the G3. I recently moved from a RP-155 to the G3. Night and day difference to me. Even the amp/dirt sims are noticeably better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 13, 2015,