Hello UG,

I need tips on how to sweep my favorite childhood anime lick. It is the second ending to the Shueisha's Rurouni Kenshin and is titled "Namida Wa Shitteiru" by Suzukaze Mayo. Attached is a snip of the Tab Pro that I found for it. I think its pretty accurate and I have an inkling that it is meant to be sweep picked.

I transposed it to the adgbe strings ranging from the 10th to the 15th fret in an attempt to figure out a way to sweep pick it. This will be my first attempt at sweep picking and I really like this song.

My question is, what is the best and/or easiest way to sweep pick this lick? I have been trying to put the notes on different strings so that I can sweep them but because this is my first sweep picking I don't really know how to. Any help is appreciated!
Attachments:
lick me.PNG
You probably shouldn't try to transpose/rearrange something into a sweeping pattern for your first ever attempt at sweeping. It's a very difficult technique, and requires some serious practice. Learn the basic major and minor sweep shapes, and practice them until you can really sweep. Then get into building/arrange your own new sweep shapes.

Also, that lick is entirely single-tone and semi-tone intervals. It's not built on an arpeggio, it's built on a scale (not going to get into the semantics about how arpeggios are still scales, etc. people should know what I mean by that). There's just about no way you can arrange those same notes into a sweep pattern. Definitely not "meant to be sweep picked".
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Last edited by the_bi99man at Apr 12, 2015,
@percydw yes, its all done in the first two seconds of the song lol.

@the_bi99man I understand what you are saying so I guess to my novice ear I mistook really fast picking as sweep picking. I am still practicing and learning really basic sweep exercises and patterns and was just really eager to take a break and maybe attempt something that I like.

Thanks for your help, I will just have to speed up my picking.

Also the tab says they're sixteenth notes in triplets? I am still trying to get used to learning to read sheet music notes and what not.
Last edited by r3vx at Apr 12, 2015,
yeah that is ****ing fast good luck with that lol
i tried looking for covers on youtube (tried english names too) but not much there
i think there was an acoustic cover you might like
Quote by the_bi99man
You probably shouldn't try to transpose/rearrange something into a sweeping pattern for your first ever attempt at sweeping. It's a very difficult technique, and requires some serious practice. Learn the basic major and minor sweep shapes, and practice them until you can really sweep. Then get into building/arrange your own new sweep shapes.

Also, that lick is entirely single-tone and semi-tone intervals. It's not built on an arpeggio, it's built on a scale (not going to get into the semantics about how arpeggios are still scales, etc. people should know what I mean by that). There's just about no way you can arrange those same notes into a sweep pattern. Definitely not "meant to be sweep picked".

This
@percydw could you point me to that cover? thanks

When I was wracking my brain on how to pick this I figured it was only possible if u had hella reach with ur fingers, probably have a better chance just trying to pick it really fast. well i know what i need to do now lol
Ibanez 350DX - Marshall MG10CF - Boss ME-50
Quote by r3vx
@percydw could you point me to that cover? thanks

When I was wracking my brain on how to pick this I figured it was only possible if u had hella reach with ur fingers

No, those tabs are just wrong. Clearly the person who wrote them didn't try and play it himself
think i was mistaken, but there's at least a guy doing the chords
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samurai+x+ed+guitar+cover+namida

i personally wouldnt bother with that intro, itd take me like 2 years probably and i'd be better off just trying to play it in 2 years time when i have the speed already from practicing more interesting stuff (like blues jamming)
Last edited by percydw at Apr 12, 2015,
I see... 2 years just to learn that or learn other stuff and be able to play it in 2 years, makes sense. Im not really into blues but I've picked up some tips from it before maybe its time I start learning some blues. Luckily I have some friends who are musicians who likes blues I can jam sesh with

@vayne92 what would be a good way to play that lick in full speed?
I can't be bothered tabbing it out right now, but you'd play it over 4 strings instead of 3. It's a very standard run when played the correct way

EDIT: Tabbed it below
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 13, 2015,
thanks, ill try it with four strings instead of the five Ive been using and see what happens
There you go. Identical to the tab above, but played over 4 strings making it 1000 times more practical.

If you're still a beginner you will never get this lick up to speed by the way. Playing at that speed doesn't come overnight. To be fast you must learn to be slow.

Interesting little fact.. As I was saying before it's a very common run. One of my favourite songs uses an identical run. It's at 8 seconds and 17 seconds if you're intrigued.

I know there's plenty of other songs with that exact run.
Thanks alot man I appreciate it, I make time everyday to do at least my basic fingering exercises. At least now I will know how to do it and I can revisit it every now and then and see how much I improve. Also if I come across another lick like this I will have something to compare it to. Great song btw
I made another version using your 4 string technique
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|16-14-13---------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------15-13-12--------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------15-13-12------------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------15-13-12-10------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

what do you think?
Your tab isn't the same by the way. It would start on the 14th fret of the B.

Also, it's important to realize that playing the same note on the e and the B string wont produce a completely identical sound. Due to strings varying in thickness they will have a slightly different pitch. I can tell by listening to the song that it starts on the high e and not the B like your tab does.
I can't explain the scientific reasoning behind it, but I'm sure someone else here can do it for me.

For example:

Play an A note on each string. The tab would look like this:

e|-5--------------|
B|---10----------|
G|-------14------|
D|-----------19--|
A|----------------|
E|----------------|

Same note right? They don't sound the same though. The thicker the string, the more bass heavy it gets. It can be quite a subtle difference in certain contexts, but to a trained ear you can notice the difference between a note on the e string and the same note on the B string
I see/hear what you mean, I guess its harder for me to tell when theyres other stuff going on like in the song. I think that's timbre, like how notes have the same frequency but sound different from instrument to instrument, I suppose each string is its own 'instrument' with its own timbre.

This is great im having fun and learning a bunch lol
From what I understand from your link percydw the difference between an A4 and A5 is the power of the nth harmonics.
An A4 will have most of its power in its fundamental 440hz and some power in its other harmonics, while A5 will have its power in its fundamental 880hz and so on and so forth.
I know that if you were to take the fourier transform of an A4 and A5 and look at its power spectrum they will be different because of the distribution of harmonic power. I guess thats what they call timbre.
Thanks for the link!