I've recently been enlisted by some friends to play lead guitar in their touring and moderately charting rock band. I only have a Vox Night Train, custom cab, and some mid level guitars, all of which sound great, but I'm thinking of upgrading. The amp is my main concern. We play some songs in drop C and I'd love to get a tight, crunchy sound without using a distortion pedal. I want to be able to crank the volume a bit to so I don't think I want more than 30 watts or so. I would prefer a head and it needs to have good clean and dirty channels. I was thinking of the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister, Egnater Renegade, or even the Mesa Boogie Mini Rec. I'd probably be purchasing with a payment plan, but I don't want to spend over $1,000. Suggestions?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
First thing I learned was that one amp was one amp short. If you're traveling with an amp, the likelihood that it will have at least one evening of downtime is high.

Smart setup is to have a couple of preamps and run them into a good PA.

One thing you'll find is that the whole "tight crunch" thing is best done by a system (and speaker cabinets) that actually have enough power and speaker capability to produce it.
What kind of music exactly?
Tell us more about your custom cab.
Why only 30 watts?
Congrats on your new gig.

I like the Renegade but it depends more on what you are going to use it for. If you are going the monthly payment route - I guess used amps are out of the picture?
Which night train is it?
The EVH 5150 III mini is worth looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
First thing I learned was that one amp was one amp short. If you're traveling with an amp, the likelihood that it will have at least one evening of downtime is high.

Smart setup is to have a couple of preamps and run them into a good PA.

One thing you'll find is that the whole "tight crunch" thing is best done by a system (and speaker cabinets) that actually have enough power and speaker capability to produce it.

Or simply have a MFX pedal as well as an amp, all setup as an emergency backup. That's how I do it. Never had to use the GT-100 that way yet but it's always there if I need it. Yet to meet an MFX that can compete with my RM100 but one should ALWAYS take Murphy into account. He's an arsehole.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
https://youtu.be/jSUgKlB_QJk

That's an example of the style, and is probably as heavy as it gets right now. We also have standard tuning songs that don't quite that level of saturation. When they recorded that, the producer had them dial in the tones from Axe Fx, but we actually prefer a more organic sound with a bit more push from the power tubes...right before it gets too spongy and saggy for the heavier sound. They actually loved how the Night Train sounded when cranked up pushed with my MI Effects Super Crunch Box. I just want a bit more headroom. My cab is an open back cab with a Weber speaker, so I'll probably need to get a bigger closed back cab as well. For backup, I could probably play our singer's Orange TH30 rig, because he's stepping back a bit from playing as much.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
The Renegade would probably work OK, or some kind of multi channel Marshall, like DSL or Traynor Blue, might need overdrive. I usually bring backup, either small multifx or Tech21 Tri-Od pedal.
Mesa will also work OK, maybe the 5:50 Express with overdrive.
The JSX by Peavey would be perfect but you'll have to buy used.
Look for a used Mesa single recto/rectoverb , Marshall JCM2000 DSL50

If your touring always have a backup amp or MFX/pedal just in case.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What ever you decide have a backup amp that closely resembles your main amp. Get good solid road cases. Don't rely on amp covers or cheap cases. Pay for good ones that will last a lifetime. Make sure you have two of everything that's essential. If that means spending less on something so you can have reliable back up gear, I think it's a wise decision. On the road anything that can go wrong probably will. Be prepared.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Hmmm, yep I have a lot to do in preparation. Unfortunately, I might just have to wing it with my Night Train rig for the upcoming dates we have in June, but the frontman assured me that my Night Train pegged and mic'd would be plenty for the FOH. It's not optimal, but I'll have that and several backup pieces we share to fall back on (Orange TH30, Vox AC15/AC30, PODHD500, etc.). Thanks for the info.

As for buying used, I don't mind. I have a no interest for 2015, credit card, if I have to purchase used off of ebay or reverb. I love the JSX, but that clean is almost too clean. I'm not against playing a combo if that will get me the amp I need. My cab only has one 30 watt speaker in it. LOL
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever

As for buying used, I don't mind. I have a no interest for 2015, credit card, if I have to purchase used off of ebay or reverb. I love the JSX, but that clean is almost too clean. I'm not against playing a combo if that will get me the amp I need. My cab only has one 30 watt speaker in it. LOL

That does change things.

You might be able to find a used Renegade combo in the $500 range. Obviously, if you get a head higher than 30 watts you will want to either get a new cab or get the speaker replaced. I didn't see much on your craigslist unless you willing to travel to say...Jacksonville.

I love my Single Rec Rectoverb. Pretty darn flexible and found used at Guitar Center for under $500.

Quote by hajivitra
nice information
thanks all

I don't understand your post(s) so I reported it mK?
Quote by sg4ever
Hmmm, yep I have a lot to do in preparation. Unfortunately, I might just have to wing it with my Night Train rig for the upcoming dates we have in June, but the frontman assured me that my Night Train pegged and mic'd would be plenty for the FOH. It's not optimal, but I'll have that and several backup pieces we share to fall back on (Orange TH30, Vox AC15/AC30, PODHD500, etc.). Thanks for the info.

Get used from Guitar Center, they have decent prices, great selection and you get a 30 day return policy if you don't like the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're right, the JSX is a bit clean on the clean, but isn't that the requirement? Little pedal in front can fix that, I'd run it with OD anyway, but that's just me.

If not - Marshall DSL, Traynor Blue or Mesa 5:50 should do great.