Like the title states, which is the better guitar? I really like the look of 335-style guitars, epiphine dot studio being the most affordable. The strat on the other hand is more versatile and practical, not to mention a lot cheaper. I'm having a difficult time choosing between these 2 guitars...
it really depends. I'd personally go with the dot as it's a much better built guitarnd would my purposes better but that isnthe question, what are you going to use it for? these are two vastly different guitars and you need to consider what you'll be playing before you buy one of these.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
it really depends. I'd personally go with the dot as it's a much better built guitarnd would my purposes better but that isnthe question, what are you going to use it for? these are two vastly different guitars and you need to consider what you'll be playing before you buy one of these.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm planning on using it mostly for a clean sound and a gainy sound. I don't know if you've ever heard of The Strokes, but that's the band who's music I mostly want to play. Bit you see the thing is, there are 2 guitarists in the band. One with an epiphone riviera (nick valensi) and one with a stratocaster (Albert hammond Jr.) So it's no easy choice to decide which sound I want to replicate because both guitars are played in the same band
wow, I see your predicament, of the two, the dot will be much better build quality, but the strat will probably be able to handle more styles, try both and see which one you like better.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
This is tough comparing two completely different types of guitars (semi-hollow vs solid body, humbuckers vs single coils etc.) so it depends on what sound you are looking for because a Strat will never sound like a Epiphone Dot Studio and vice versa. Hard to pick one not knowing which sound you are after but just out of build quality alone I'd buy the Epiphone.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 13, 2015,
Squier makes some awesome guitars and while the Affinity is an OK guitar it really is a budget friendly guitar. The Epiphone Dot will be the better quality guitar.

If you are considering an Epiphone Dot, I would look at some of the higher end Squiers especially the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series.
Quote by ppiluk
Squier makes some awesome guitars and while the Affinity is an OK guitar it really is a budget friendly guitar. The Epiphone Dot will be the better quality guitar.

If you are considering an Epiphone Dot, I would look at some of the higher end Squiers especially the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series.

Classic Vibe would be a better bet than Affinity for sure. for what you want though i'm thinking Dot. they are very versatile guitars and if you're not going nuts with the distortion will work just fine. (and i'm a strat guy)
what is your budget?

i picked up a Sublime Chiefton for $400 and it is really nice. they are a small newer company, top notch stuff. way nicer than any epi. it blows me away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo
Classic Vibe would be a better bet than Affinity for sure. for what you want though i'm thinking Dot. they are very versatile guitars and if you're not going nuts with the distortion will work just fine. (and i'm a strat guy)

+1

@TS,
You're totally comparing two different beasts here, but I get what te sound you're looking for. I've personally covered 12:51 , NYC Cops by the strokes in a band setting with a Telecaster xD

but, I agree with the other folks here mentioning the Classic Vibe, which should be a bit better quality than the Affinity series (I have own & modded both ). If you do go with the affinity series strat look at getting perhaps the HSS which would give you a bit more wiggle room in terms of versatility. The Pickup cavity for the Affinity series strats I believe are also HSH so in the even you want to put in a humbucker at the neck you have that option.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
I'd say that you need to first decide on the sound you want and make your decision based on that.