I've been self teaching myself guitar for 5 months now and have been using the .60mm Dunlop Tortex (orange) picks. Today, I went to a guitar workshop and was taught by a live teacher for the first time. She wanted to see my guitar pick and while she said it's ok, she strongly suggested that I up the gauge on my pick to at least .88mm because she said it's better when a pick is stiffer and doesn't bend.

Is she correct? What do you guys think?
It's personal taste and nothing more.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Totally preference, though I guess for faster stuff like metal, a thicker is one is better since it will make it a lot easier for your right hand.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
i discovered that i prefer thinner picks. i used 88s for ages, until i bought my brother an acoustic for his birthday, and got him the orange tortex. i tried out a couple, and liked them more for strumming. and then i ended up getting some for myself, and then a whole huge bag. orange tortex 4 lyf.
I know I personally feel more comfortable and confident in my playing when I use a thicker, stiffer pick. But I also know that my dad who has been playing for ~30 years (I've been playing ~5) feels he plays better with those thinner picks (I think the same ones you said you were using). It tends to be another personal preference thing I think.

Are you playing an electric or an acoustic? Typically acoustics have much thicker strings and will require thicker picks to properly strum and resound. Also a thicker pick will probably make more of the twangy "pick sound" when you strike, which can be picked up on an electric and so people will often use thinner picks when playing an electric to lessen this.

Ultimately you will probably want to listen to your teacher
Hope that helps!
Last edited by thall95 at Apr 12, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Totally preference, though I guess for faster stuff like metal, a thicker is one is better since it will make it a lot easier for your right hand.

this is pretty accurate. for playing real fast single notes thicker picks seem to work far better. personally i cant use thin picks as the real thin ones bend to easy and cause drag when i use them.
"Are thicker picks better than thinner ones?"

They are as long as you're playing with too thin ones.

Really it's a matter of taste. Some guitarists use those extreme 2.0 picks, but just to each what he's comfortable with. Personally I started with .7 which I found good for soft strumming, I went to 1.5 but with time I settled for .96 Gator Grips which I found ideal before I eventually switched to the Jazz II picks which are 1.18. But it heavily depends on style. I shred, so my picks have to be somewhat stiff. .60 sounds really thin/soft though.
Quote by thall95
I know I personally feel more comfortable and confident in my playing when I use a thicker, stiffer pick. But I also know that my dad who has been playing for ~30 years (I've been playing ~5) feels he plays better with those thinner picks (I think the same ones you said you were using). It tends to be another personal preference thing I think.

Are you playing an electric or an acoustic? Typically acoustics have much thicker strings and will require thicker picks to properly strum and resound. Also a thicker pick will probably make more of the twangy "pick sound" when you strike, which can be picked up on an electric and so people will often use thinner picks when playing an electric to lessen this.

Ultimately you will probably want to listen to your teacher
Hope that helps!

I play acoustic, so maybe my teacher is right then.....
Quote by GuitarDude85
I play acoustic, so maybe my teacher is right then.....

Not necessarily, I actually like thinner picks better for acoustic.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
I use a thicker pick for precision picking but prefer a more flexible pick when I'm just strumming chords.

As noted, it's all preference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I use a thicker pick for precision picking but prefer a more flexible pick when I'm just strumming chords.

As noted, it's all preference.

I'm on board this train.

I use 2 and 3mm acrylic picks with pretty sharp points for precision picking, but I have a Pick Punch (two, actually, a standard and a jazz size) that cranks out picks by the hundreds from various thinner materials (and old credit cards), and these are great for Kumbaya strumming.
I also use thin picks when on acoustic, and use pretty thick picks when on electric. Doesn't matter though, whatever works. John Frusciante uses pretty thin picks. If you don't feel like your pick is holding you back, I think you're OK.
I use .73 for everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My favourite:

Feels like a cross between .88 tortex and .73 maxx
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I started on 1.14 because I was told a thicker pick was better, then switched to .88 after I read that's what James Hatfield used. Truthfully, the thinner .88 pick had a better sounding attack... the 1.14 was too smooth.

I keep a small selection of picks around and experiment every once in awhile. Right now I'm floating between an Ultex .73, an Ultex Sharp .90 and a 1mm Tortex Jazz III.

And FWIW - Eddie Van Halen uses a .60 and he seems to be doing alright.
I just use fender picks. Thin for acoustic as I find I get a brighter and more percussive tone and fast strumming is less of a grind on my right hand and the flexibility means they are less likely to go flying across the room when a bit sweaty. Mediums for electric and heavy for bass.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I keep a Jazz III, and green, orange, and black tortexes in my change pocket. If I'm going to be playing metal, or anything particularly fast and precise, the Jazz III. For anything else, I go between the other three all the time. Usually when I pick up the guitar, and give all three of a quick flex and decide which to use. It varies constantly.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Badmotorfingers
My favourite:

Feels like a cross between .88 tortex and .73 maxx

Me too! Can't ever find them in the shops these days though. I read somewhere that Jimmy Page uses/used Hercos
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Yeah, I buy them off ebay lol. He did, but I think they were slightly different back in those days. But that is why I tried them though I think David Gilmour and some other famous players (Gene Simmons?, EVH?, Townsend?) used them too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I actually use Cool picks Juratex Jazz 90% of the time (the sandpaper grip is excellent!), but as noted when strumming chords I use whatever floppy pick happens to be available. I've no doubt there's a flaw in my strumming technique that requires that, but IDGAF.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 13, 2015,
Yeah as everyone said, it's all preference.

That being said, just to play devil's advocate- it's possible she saw how you played and made the suggestion because she thought it might work better for your style of playing (though she should've been more clear about what she meant).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?