How to make tapping the same volume as picking?

Or am I avoiding the real problem: that is, that I'm not good enough at tapping for my volume tapping to be the same as my volume picking.

I'm talking about tapping with the fretting hand without plucking the string with a pick.

So, after playing a few songs, I've been trying out turning the volume knob on my amp and guitar down after the tapping part is done and turning the volume knob back up when the tapping part is about to happen. Unfortunately, this technique requires a delay of about 3 seconds and requires me to be knealing next to my practice amp so that the amp volume knob is in arm's reach.

To be technical, would the answer to my question be purchasing a compressor? There are some economic problems with just purchasing a compressor though. I found out that a "real" compressor (rack mount) costs 5 times the cost of my practice amp, and when I tried the boss CS-2 compressor pedal for 40 bucks on Ebay it didn't do anything for me other than turn up the volume the whole time adding static in the process.

Last night at a show I went to after the show I met one of the guitarists and I saw him tapping on the guitar unplugged and I could still hear it!
Last edited by dietermoreno at Apr 12, 2015,
yeah sorry the issue is your not tapping well enough to be consistent. you should be able to hear it acoustically.
Any suggestions how to get better at tapping, as in louder, as in able to be heard unplugged?
practice. i know not much help. i find myself that when tapping i'm not just hitting the note straight down but rather approaching it like a hammer on pull off.
Quote by dietermoreno
Any suggestions how to get better at tapping, as in louder, as in able to be heard unplugged?

Tap harder than you usually do..