I have been playing for about 5 years and can play sitting and standing. But when I play sitting instead of resting the guitar on my right knee, I let it rest between my legs. It may be due to the fact that I am middle aged and have a belly. Should I retrain myself to let the guitar rest on my right knee or does it matter?
Quote by gsplsngr
I have been playing for about 5 years and can play sitting and standing. But when I play sitting instead of resting the guitar on my right knee, I let it rest between my legs. It may be due to the fact that I am middle aged and have a belly. Should I retrain myself to let the guitar rest on my right knee or does it matter?

By rest between your legs, do you mean the classical guitar way? If that's the case I don't see an issue. If it's some other odd variation it may be a good idea to try and retrain yourself to play the normal way.
Quote by Tony Done
The classical position is technically superior to what most steel string players do, so, if that is what you are doing, I wouldn't change it.

definitely agree. learned to do it that way right from the start and it is better. positions the guitar better so that when you do stand it isn't really much different.
Quote by Tony Done
The classical position is technically superior to what most steel string players do, so, if that is what you are doing, I wouldn't change it.

I would agree. I've tried before to switch my seating position to a classical position before but I couldn't bring myself to break the habit.
It is kind of modified because the guitar rest on my left leg and is cradled with my right. So it sits with the back end a is tilted to the floor. Kind of how some one who is standing would hold it
Guitar between legs would be fine if you play classical music. That's how they usually hold it. If not I suggest going to a normal stance, as that will help you with techniques.
I honestly don't know how anyone plays with the guitar resting on their right leg in the first place. That feels extremely awkward and uncomfortable to me, not to mention a lot of electric guitars will slip right off your leg (try to rest a flying V on your leg ).

I think it's makes the transition from sitting to standing more difficult too since your guitar tends to go more towards the center of your body when standing.
I have my guitar strap on when I sit or stand I find it better for me
Quote by Tazz3
I have my guitar strap on when I sit or stand I find it better for me

Yep same here, which basically puts my guitar in the classical position, maybe slightly higher.