What is the point in plastic strings like my mate has them on his bass and I never understood what difference they made apart from the feel of the strings...

What sort of sound do they make?
Are they for a specific genre?
etc!

As in plastic-covered, right? I've never tried them, but my best guess would be a darker sound than regular nickel wound, with pretty chilled-out harmonics/transients. Probably darker than flatwounds. Probably suited for anything where you want to keep well out of the guitarist's frequency range; anything but slap bass or traditionally trebly genres like punk or black metal.

I'm not really a bassist, though, so that's mostly a slightly educated guess.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 13, 2015,
You'll have to explain what you mean by plastic strings. There are string with thin plastic coatings that help keep the tone fresh for an extended period.

I can see how plastic or rubber strings would work on a fretless bass with piezo pickups or something, but never have seen them in person.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
You'll have to explain what you mean by plastic strings. There are string with thin plastic coatings that help keep the tone fresh for an extended period.

I can see how plastic or rubber strings would work on a fretless bass with piezo pickups or something, but never have seen them in person.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=20
^I'm assuming this kind of thing?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one

Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
^Those are extremely "thumpy". Great for traditional jazz, a bit of R&B or Reggae. Not very loud un-amplified though.
Thats exactly what I was thinking of
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Nylon coated strings were made in the sixties for people transition from the double bass to the bass guitar so they could get a warmed and more rubber-band like tone. I really like their sound and feel, especially getting the percussive sounds with the tone fully open; I'd use them more often if they weren't a bitch when it comes to fret buzz, intonation and nut slots.
Quote by Spaz91
Nylon coated strings were made in the sixties for people transition from the double bass to the bass guitar so they could get a warmed and more rubber-band like tone. I really like their sound and feel, especially getting the percussive sounds with the tone fully open; I'd use them more often if they weren't a bitch when it comes to fret buzz, intonation and nut slots.

Ahhhhhhh okay I understand now, the sound of them is okay but I just don't like the feel of Nylon coated strings
I have basses with 2 different sets of nylons.

My Fender tapewounds are still snappy after 5 years. They feel like roundwounds with an 8-track tape wrap on them.

The D'Addario nylons are completely different. Those are a mellow warm and very thumpy. They wrap those and then grind them down to size giving a them a super smooth feel. They almost feel like a single piece of nylon and make flats feel like rounds. I love how these feel and play.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by deeptubes
I have basses with 2 different sets of nylons.

My Fender tapewounds are still snappy after 5 years. They feel like roundwounds with an 8-track tape wrap on them.

The D'Addario nylons are completely different. Those are a mellow warm and very thumpy. They wrap those and then grind them down to size giving a them a super smooth feel. They almost feel like a single piece of nylon and make flats feel like rounds. I love how these feel and play.

I'm not a big fan of smooth strings I prefer like stainless steel strings which have a metallic sound to it