Page 1 of 440
Asomodai
Bitter UG Veteran
3,376 IQ
Ok starting this thread from apparant high demand, Put all the DT questions and things here, Do not post anything about dt anywhere else but here

This is just a trial run to see how popular this turns out to be.

Rob
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Spynal
Halt! Hammerzeit!
1,710 IQ
But ........ without seperate threads, what will the shredders have to post about????

I want that guy to post those sped up DT versions here, those things were HILARIOUS
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
reef_d
UG Newbie
401 IQ
hehe without dream theater threads there'll be less of shred and more 80s rock. anyway good chance there'll be some progressive rock threads
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Rah!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,226 IQ
Best song is In The Name Of God.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

(followed closely by A Change Of Seasons)
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
I disagree, their best is Learning To Live along with Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper. I don't like LaBrie's vocals at 6:07. Also at 9:00 Petrucci's soloing gets a little out of hand with the chromatics, I know it's there to build tension but IMO it just sounds nasty. The ensuing key solo is nothing too great either. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, I enjoy all the other parts to it. It's one of the better tracks on ToT, but definitely not the best song DT has done.
reef_d
UG Newbie
401 IQ
yeah i like in the name of god from the latest album but my all time favourite is fatal tragedy
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
big crouton
332 IQ
A Change Of Seasons, followed by the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite, particularly Voices, then Learning to Live, are my picks.

Glass prison is up there too.

those change daily though.

Voices I love because of the solo. By far my favorite Petrucci solo.
AsIAm
UGenital Grinder
10 IQ
My 3 faves of what ive heard are Pull Me Under, As I Am and Fatal Tradgedy
Originally posted by HateEternal
U must mean Kirk Hammet u cock sucking gerbil ****ing asshole
Metalology
̉
602 IQ
What brand of bass does John Myung use? I'm doing a project on my musicial influences and he's in there.

Edit: Nevermind I found it, he uses Yamaha.

Dont ask me how he does it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Last edited by Metalology at Jan 10, 2005,
Inimical
The Dark Lord
650 IQ
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
I believe it's got 14, and my friend says there's a specific name for it, not just 'bass'.
A friend of mine e-mailed me a clip of a guy playing one...

It's got guitar strings and bass strings on it, sort of like playing a piano if it's the one I'm thinking of.

If I get it from her again, I'll post it. In the mean time, I'll do a search.
big crouton
332 IQ
It's called a 'chapman stick', and it's played entirely with hammer-ons and pulloffs. It's super sensitive to the hammerons, so you can play it like a piano. There's a really thick string in the middle, and descending thicknesses of strings on either side, (as far as I can tell.) One hand usually plays a bass line while the other hand can be used to play lead stuff. It can be used in various other ways though.

And that's not what he usually plays. He usually breaks that out for new millenium, and maybe some other songs off of Falling into Infinity. He usually plays a Yamaha RBX something or other guitar. It has 6 strings.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Originally posted by big crouton
It's called a 'chapman stick', and it's played entirely with hammer-ons and pulloffs. It's super sensitive to the hammerons, so you can play it like a piano. There's a really thick string in the middle, and descending thicknesses of strings on either side, (as far as I can tell.) One hand usually plays a bass line while the other hand can be used to play lead stuff. It can be used in various other ways though.

And that's not what he usually plays. He usually breaks that out for new millenium, and maybe some other songs off of Falling into Infinity. He usually plays a Yamaha RBX something or other guitar. It has 6 strings.

Indeed.

My fav song would have to be dance of eternity
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
big crouton
332 IQ
Originally posted by Resiliance
Indeed.

My fav song would have to be dance of eternity
'tis a great song indeed. Not a huge fan of the cd version though. I'm all about the live one.

Then again, that could be because I got LSFNY before I got SFAM.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
^ Do you mean the solo off the studio version or the live version (guessing that they are different)? I have the studio version tab if you'd like it.
REPOMAN
396 IQ
I haven't heard all of them, but IMO Awake is their best, followed by Scenes From a Memory, followed by Images and Words. (Those are the only 3 I've heard every single song on, I'm waiting for ToT and Six Degrees to come in the mail)
Metalology
̉
602 IQ
Images and Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory are their best. Train of Thought was pretty good too.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Spynal
Halt! Hammerzeit!
1,710 IQ
It's hard to pick a fave song of DT .... but for the time being it'd probably be "Through Her Eyes" or "Dance of Eternity"
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
big crouton
332 IQ
for their best album, it really depends on what you're looking for.

If you like the heavier stuff, go for Awake or Train of Thought.

For more progressive kind of stuff, go for Images and Words, or possibly Scenes From A Memory

For one bloody awesome freakin' long song, go for Scenes From A Memory or Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

I don't know much about falling into infinity or when dream and day unite though.

and if you like their instrumental songs, definitely check out the band Liquid Tension Experiment. It's basically Dream Theater with a different bassist, playing instumental. Very awesome.
Riryoku
Silence in the Storm
269 IQ
I liked the vocals on In the Name of God...James LaBrie did not have any annoying spots, like a lot of the stuff he does.

And The Spirit Carries On was just beautiful. Also a perfect LaBrie moment.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
TapMaster
Banned
160 IQ
I just started listening to Dream Theatre this week and I love them theres so good, can anybody tell me the story of the band if they know it and are they still and band a still touring? theyd be great to see live
reef_d
UG Newbie
401 IQ
any other crazy instruments these guys play?
Riryoku
Silence in the Storm
269 IQ
Portnoy has the sickest drumset I've ever seen.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
big crouton
332 IQ
Originally posted by TapMaster
I just started listening to Dream Theatre this week and I love them theres so good, can anybody tell me the story of the band if they know it and are they still and band a still touring? theyd be great to see live
They're still together, and they recently finished their Train Of Thought tour, and are now in the studio recording a new album. They could very well be done recording by now though, as it often takes them as little as 3 weeks to record their cds.

for more information, check out their website at www.dreamtheater.net

it's quite excellent, and there you can find stuff about them. each of the band members have sites too. www.mikeportnoy.com often has new information about what they're up to, and he also has lots of cool videos and songs on his site too.

And is that pic of Portnoys kit the most recent one around? Cause on the Budokan dvd, he had a bunch of extra drums on the right side of his kit that he used in his 'duel' with jordan on 'beyond this life'. The kit seemed to be about the same size, but with more drums crammed in there.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
^He has more than one monstrous drumkit he uses for different situations.

Click.
mr.snruB_2
Banned
20 IQ
hey. Last time it was sped up versions of DT songs. This time its hilariously bad covers of DT by some guy, who I'm guessing is Italian.

http://joesandalo.altervista.org/listamp3.htm

just go down to where it says "Vol.3 DREAM THEATER".

I was laughing my ass off all day from these. Definately the worst vocals I have ever heard. I recommend listening to Take the Time and Learning To Live

Edit: parts of Another Day are quite hilarious also.

10 IQ
LMAO his version of Yetserday is quite hilarious
Originally posted by HateEternal
U must mean Kirk Hammet u cock sucking gerbil ****ing asshole
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
Originally posted by reef_d
any other crazy instruments these guys play?
Myung on his chapman stick

I think they can all play each others instruments to a point, there's a clip on 5 Years in a LIVEtime that is of Perfect Strangers where they've switched? but then again, its not that complicated of a song for DT
TapMaster
Banned
160 IQ
I find 13 minutes is too long for a song. But luckily there rock hard enough for the 13 minutes too be good, i counldnt imagine listening to 50 cent for 13 minutes
mr.snruB_2
Banned
20 IQ
Originally posted by Weebl
^you'll have most likely seen it but this is portnoys kit...

this is Portnoy's most recent kit. the "Siamese Monster". Hes had about 3 others of roughly the same size. The last one was the "Purple Monster" I believe. He changes to a larger kit after every 2 studio albums (at least thats what hes done before), so I suspect he'll get a new kit for this tour.

I think that the album is done. He asked the forumers at www.mikeportnoy.com if they thought it should be 60 minutes long or 80 minutes in a poll, which led everyone to believe that there was already 80 minutes of music already.

to Tapmaster: if you don't like the idea of a song 13 minutes or longer, I don't suggest that you get 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance, or A Change Of Seasons.
ZepHedJack
56 IQ
Is anyone else completely annoyed by the end of Pull Me Under? On the cd (at least on mine) it kinda just cuts out, it pisses me off.
Who is John Galt?
MrScary07RR
44 IQ
i thought that was just my cd for the longest time, and yeah it does piss me off. youd think theyd have noticed.........