So I'm in school and trying to swing a band almost every weekend an hour and a half away. I've got a super old Line 6 GuitarPort interface and am still able to install it on almost any computer, even though the service has been discontinued for about eight years. I need suggestions for a decent guitar interface for my laptop as the tone quality and selection in GuitarPort is pretty weak, I just need something more updated.
Focusrite makes some pretty good interfaces. I use a Scarlett 2i4. How many inputs do you need? You can get a FR Scarlett 2i2 (2 inputs, 2 out) for ~$150 -> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface
You will also get free installation of Ableton Live Lite, not the best software but functional. The interface is pretty much compatible with any software too so you can always upgrade that, or if you use a Mac you can use GarageBand.
I have the focusrite 2i4. It works great for me. I use it with Reaper and like it a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Scarlett stuff is pretty solid. I use a 2i2 and run a Yamaha MW10 into one of the inputs to give me more input options.

Low latency, low background noise (if any). A really simple and usable interface IMO.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by thall95
Focusrite makes some pretty good interfaces. I use a Scarlett 2i4. How many inputs do you need? You can get a FR Scarlett 2i2 (2 inputs, 2 out) for ~$150 -> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface
You will also get free installation of Ableton Live Lite, not the best software but functional. The interface is pretty much compatible with any software too so you can always upgrade that, or if you use a Mac you can use GarageBand.

Looks decent, all I really ever needed is a jack input for my guitar like my GuitarPort. I guess I'm really looking for better software with better tones and options.
A lot of people underestimate how far a good interface will go sound wise. I used to have a guitarport and the scarlett's preamps are way better.

Software wise, are you looking for recording software or guitar modelling software? I use Guitar Rig 4 and it's pretty solid. Takes some tweaking and playing around with to get a sound you like but it's pretty decent. You could get by with your toneport.

Recording software wise I've been an avid user of Cubase. Solid bit of kit.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
A lot of people underestimate how far a good interface will go sound wise. I used to have a guitarport and the scarlett's preamps are way better.

Software wise, are you looking for recording software or guitar modelling software? I use Guitar Rig 4 and it's pretty solid. Takes some tweaking and playing around with to get a sound you like but it's pretty decent. You could get by with your toneport.

Recording software wise I've been an avid user of Cubase. Solid bit of kit.

Definitely going to have to check into those. I guess ideally I'd like to do both, but I just use Audacity to record little riffs or licks to use in my band. In reality, I'm looking for modeling software to narrow it down.
If you have the money to do so, get rid of that nasty ass Audacity.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/cubase-elements-8.html

Of course there are other methods of obtaining it...but they're a good company and they make good shit and it's worth the purchase.

Same goes for native instruments (people who developed guitar rig).
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by thall95

I wanna go ahead and throw a second on this. If you're on a tight budget, M-Audio makes some decent cheap-end stuff as well. Most basic interfaces will get the job done, and you can even out everything else in post-recording with EQ and compression, etc.

As far as DAWs, Ableton is one that I love, but I'm gonna be honest and say that I've enjoyed Reaper almost as much. It's got a free 40 day trial with full functionality, and it's affordable as well - I think it was $250, which is nice when stuff like Cubase and Ableton are all $600+.
This signature is worth TONS of money. You should see what you can get for it.
I like PreSonus better as I also prefer their software as of now, after ditching Cubase and Sonar with my last PC. It just seems to be running more solid than on my Roland audio interface. The PreSonus pres are nothing to write about but they're clean and don't have sound volume issues (clipping) like some of the Scarlett line apparently does when DIing guitar into it.
I bought a new Lexicon Alpha for $100 off ebay. It came with Cubase LE5 and a Lexicon Reverb plugin. It seems pretty decent to me for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use a Scarlett 2i2 as well and I really like it. As mentioned above, it comes with a free version of Ableton, which I haven't tried yet. I got Cubase Elements and it has some amp modelling on it, which sounds alright. Like, it's not the best thing you've ever heard, but if you do a little tweaking you can come up with a decent-sounding demo at the very least.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps