^^^ What keys do you think they are in? What chord sounds like home in each of the songs? Where do you feel they resolve?

I could tell you what the key is, but if we help you figure it out instead you will be able to know the keys to all songs, not just these 3.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah us telling you doesn't actually help you.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
I wanna say that She is in the key of G. Knowledge is in the key of G. and Jesus of Suburbia is C sharp major???
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Apr 15, 2015,
^ How did you figure those out? One of them is correct (Jesus of Suburbia).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ How did you figure those out? One of them is correct (Jesus of Suburbia).

Thanks! I looked at the chord progressions. The thing that confuses me is that green day's old stuff is a half step down. So for She, I believe the chords are G, D, C. Which would mean G? But it's half step down...
You're basically right - the actual note would be F# or Gb. A lot of times if the whole band is tuned down a half step they just call the note names as if they were in standard, so it would be fine to call it G in that case as long as everyone knows what you mean, but technically it's F# or Gb and you'd have to call it that when playing with anyone playing an instrument in another tuning, or if there's a piano or whatever involved.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Apr 16, 2015,
Quote by 4seampowerchord
Thanks! I looked at the chord progressions. The thing that confuses me is that green day's old stuff is a half step down. So for She, I believe the chords are G, D, C. Which would mean G? But it's half step down...

Yes. So the key of "She" is F# major - a half step lower than G.

But you can't just look at the chords and figure out the key that way. A bVII-IV-I (in G-F-C in G major) progression is really usual in rock, and it uses exactly the same chords as an V-IV-I (G-F-C in C major) progression, but just in a different key. Both progressions are possible, and it has to do with the context. In "She" the progression in the chorus is V-IV-I, but in "Knowledge" the progression is bVII-IV-I. Knowledge is in the key of D major.

How to figure that out? You need to use your ears. Which of the chords feels like home? That's your key.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 16, 2015,