Page 1 of 2
So I'm thinking of a new amp. I was originally considering to get a USA G&L Rampage but that got sold before I could get it, plus I don't think I need another guitar so soon. Going to sell my 333XL, it's a great amp, but it doesn't really give the tone I want and I don't like the open back combo.

Budget is around 1500 AUD not including cab. Main tones wanted: Alice In Chains, AC/DC, Mastodon, Metallica, creamy blues lead, fender-ish cleans. Definitely must be at least 2 channels as well.

Haven't decided on 2x12 or 4x12 either (definitely closed back), though most likely V30s for speakers.

These are all available now in that price range second hand:
Bogner Shiva
Mesa Mark V 25 (USA 110v)
Soldano Lucky 13 (~2k for 50w combo)

Guess any other suggestions should be along the lines of those. No Randall/Egnater MTS pls!
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Apr 14, 2015,
You said no MTS for some unknown reason but it's brand new for $1200 including postage.
http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/randall-mts-series-rm100-guitar-amp.html

Closed backed combo with upgradeable preamps. How can you go wrong?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Eh if I'm going to get that I might as well just get an Axe FX II.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Does an AxeFX have a 100W power amp that will take almost any octal power tubes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No, but you could just plug it into PAs or something.

You don't have to pay $200-300 for each new amp 'model' with the Axe...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
But here's the thing. How many sounds do you want? You get what you need as you need them. That one's got pretty much what you need anyway doesn't it? Marshall, hot Marshall and Recto. Maybe get the Plexi modded. That's under $300 including postage. Well, exchange rate forbiding.

They really are a good thing. Love mine.
Big, heavy American amp. You'll need a trolley.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's the thing, I don't really need many sounds.... Just a nice clean and crunch channel (of a certain flavour) would do. Plus a boost for leads and maybe some kind of less gainy lead but that could always just be a pedal.

The Shiva might be perfect but I just think it might not have enough gain for everything I want to do.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Well the plexi has nice cleans, the 1086 is crunch city and you've got a Recto in reserve. Mod that maybe. Or just leave it as it is. That's a really good price man. It's NOS they're trying to offload. Take advantage of it while you can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Plexi cleans aren't blackface cleans and I don't really like Rectos.

I'd rather just have a regular amp that I like a lot than something I could keep continuously changing and spending money on.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Changing the voltage can be very iffy and changing it to match the one in Australia could end up costing much...
But the Mesa Mark V Mini is one helluva amp.. not sure if it would really do the crunch you want since you can't change the modes on channel 1 via footswitch. And Mark II C+ doesn't do crunch nearly as well as.. well, Shiva.

Quote by Badmotorfingers
That's the thing, I don't really need many sounds.... Just a nice clean and crunch channel (of a certain flavour) would do. Plus a boost for leads and maybe some kind of less gainy lead but that could always just be a pedal.

The Shiva might be perfect but I just think it might not have enough gain for everything I want to do.

Doesn't have enough gain for what exactly? You could get a distortion pedal for that.. or then go for Uberschall
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Plexi cleans aren't blackface cleans and I don't really like Rectos.

I'd rather just have a regular amp that I like a lot than something I could keep continuously changing and spending money on.

This is where Cathbard's suggestion hits spot on. Instead of trading the amp you bought a while ago and it isn't what you look for, you could just get a module.

Now, tubes are nice and all, but these days my sound is a Tech21 PSA 1.1 into QSC GX3. Sounds powerful and good to me and does that with any volume thanks to a transistor power amp. So I can play it in my room and it certainly is enough for gigs.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 14, 2015,
The dude selling the V 25 is selling it with a step up transformer, but it's only a few hundred less than new so I guess I'd just get a new one in 240v. I saw this video on the Mk IV setting which sounded really nice to me. Almost as good as a Shiva imo. I think the Lucky 13 is out of the picture now since I didn't realise it doesn't have a FX Loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmMsvJpzYbQ

The Shiva isn't really a high gain amp, more hard rock. The 20th anniversary model has a lot more gain but I don't think the regular Shiva has enough gain to play stuff like Mastodon, Metallica etc. What's the point of such a nice amp if I'm going to run a distortion pedal in front of it?

Uberschall is nice but isn't really versatile enough for a lower gain crunch and kinda bluesy sound. Plus when they do show up second hand they're usually around 2.5k.

The module thing just doesn't appeal to me, if I'm going down that route then I'd just buy an Axe Fx II, because the Randall isn't all the way there to the original amps and neither is the Axe so I might as well just get something that does them all. However I don't really want or need an Axe Fx either. The FX8 does look pretty nice though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You've never actually tried one have you?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Randall-BLACKFACE-Preamp-MTS-Module-/161666564492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a414018c

There's your blackface for a couple of hundred. The Fender modules are really good.

But, it's your money. Was just trying to put you onto a good deal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well that's $200 extra there, then get a couple more from Jaded Faith/Salvation and that's almost up to $2k.

I was already close to pulling the trigger on a KH MTS halfstack a while ago for only like $1k or less... I certainly don't regret it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
So lack of self control is the issue?

I'm starting to collect them myself. But you don't actually have to buy heaps. You can just set it up once, you know?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, well kind of. It'll just be a constant GAS thing thinking oh, I can get a whole new amp for like $200-300... and another one... and another one...

I mean there's heaps... Shiva, Fish, Ectasy, Uberschall, Mark, Blackface, Soldano, HiWatt, Vox, 5150, Diezel, Plexi, 2203, CAE 3+SE, Supro etc..

It's a pretty good business model really, but the modders took it to a whole new level.

I'd rather just get one thing (Shiva? Mark V 25?) which covers what I need and be happy with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
For what it is worth, I'm with you BMF.

Nothing against Randall/Egnater, modules or Cathbard but I'm not sure I would like a modular amp either - for some of the reasons you mentioned.

-Constant module GAS
-Not quite nailing the original amp
-I believe there have been some quality issues as well - don't quote me or I'll have to go pull stuff up

I think if you were to go that route, then a Kemper profiling amp would be the way to go, but then you'd still be stuck with Profile GAS

I'm not going to be fussed to go to your profile to see what you like to play - you really need to just to put that in your OP so everyone can see at a quick glance what your needs are.

That said - you seem like a pretty cool dude and I may go look anyway. Right now, I'm assuming stuff like Mastodon, Metallica, rock crunch and blues stuff.

Originally I was thinking Mark V, Shiva and Lucky 13 are all pretty different from one another

I personally would go with the Mark V - even though it is not really perfect for my needs. I see now you have ruled out the Lucky 13 due to lack of FX loop. I'm guessing you have to more or less pick and choose with what is Used and close to you? What are you using to search or where are you going to buy?

Another idea that I've recently fallen in love with is running two amps together. A Mesa Rectoverb 50 for $500 and a Peavey Vypyr 60 for $300 is a lot of bang for the buck for $800 and sound great together. Conversely, you could get something like the Mark V and then run a POD HD into it for some of the other tones you are after (or Tech 21, G Major, AxeFx floor unit, etc).

The MTS is cool don't get me wrong and I'm sure it's a fantastic option for some, but just not for me.

I updated the first post now with the tones I'm after

Those are 3 fairly different amps but I think they all do the same kind of thing, just in different ways. They generally all sit in the not quite vintage not quite modern distorted tone thing as well. The Mark V seems pretty awesome to me, but I don't know if I'll regret not getting a Shiva instead.

I will most likely go used though I possibly could stretch for a new Mark V 25, but that's about it. The Shiva that's available is actually quite a bit cheaper than that though. That's actually just on a couple of the local FB gear pages, haven't seen it anywhere else like gumtree or ebay.

You won't find a Rectoverb here for 500 That's not really my thing either, the vypyr would just stand out to me way too much. Not really a fan of the POD HD into tube amps either... Though I was thinking of picking up a JCA 20H/22H as well for fairly cheap (300-400 usually) for that Soldano kind of tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Cathbard
Does an AxeFX have a 100W power amp that will take almost any octal power tubes?

It *can* (if there's space in the rack <G>.

This is fun to watch. I've still got about 15 tube amps sitting around, (and Bruce Egnater invented this "module" business and sold amps and preamps that featured it well before he licensed it to Randall, etc., and you can still find an Egnater tube preamp that will take them). I've had the preamp seen in the video below gathering dust for ages.

An Egnater preamp with, say, a Torpedo C.A.B. (cabinet IRs and power amp simulators) is sort of the flip of an Axe-FX with a tube power amp, but it offers some really interesting possibilities for both live and recorded performance where you have no pressing need for a tube power amp...

This is a C.A.B. demo, but watch what he's using to feed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mn9116AxiE
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 14, 2015,
^ I've often wondered why, given the disdain you've regularly shown for tube amps, 4x12 cabinets and individual pedals and the quantities that you've mentioned of each that you have, you haven't simply sold them to those of us less enlightened than yourself?

Surely having cash available is better than having all that obsolete junk sitting around taking up space?

?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 14, 2015,
Any other opinions Mark V or Shiva?

Anything else?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I guess, the Shiva is much more of the Bogner low mids thing with a darker sound than the classic modded Marshall tone though.

Not much else really, there's a couple of Soldano Hot Rods available but they're single channel. Lots of Mesas like Recs, Express and Stiletto but they're not really my thing.

Most other things I would consider like an Ecstasy, Friedman JJ, VH4 etc are way out of my budget
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Mesa 50 Cal+, isolated stepdown transformer with proper rating to handle the load. $800 tops. Great amps on the cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4T4iEnOXw
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I am aware of them though they sound a bit too much like a Recto for me, same with the DCs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by dspellman
It *can* (if there's space in the rack <G>.

This is fun to watch. I've still got about 15 tube amps sitting around, (and Bruce Egnater invented this "module" business and sold amps and preamps that featured it well before he licensed it to Randall, etc., and you can still find an Egnater tube preamp that will take them). I've had the preamp seen in the video below gathering dust for ages.

An Egnater preamp with, say, a Torpedo C.A.B. (cabinet IRs and power amp simulators) is sort of the flip of an Axe-FX with a tube power amp, but it offers some really interesting possibilities for both live and recorded performance where you have no pressing need for a tube power amp...

This is a C.A.B. demo, but watch what he's using to feed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mn9116AxiE

I do all that with an instrument mike - and I don't have to rely on the friggin sound guy for my on stage tone.
Th RM100 power amp is very nice. Really versatile and super easy to set up. A trained monkey could bias up one.

I don't think of it as an alternative to a modeller at all. It's just a cheap way to change around your rig. The good modules nail the tones extremely well, Some of the actual Randall modules can be a bit lack lustre but my Salvation and Jaded Faith modules are remarkable. I've had people with real JCM800's try to pick my brains as to how I get my tone - answer; Salvation Mash-all+.
But the real benefit - I decided that I needed a SLO tone with my latest band. $300 later I had it, courtesy of Jaded Faith. Damn fine tone for very little outlay. It's what I used in the bandcamp tracks in my sig. If I change bands again, I'll just use whatever modules are appropriate. Damn site easier and cheaper than replacing the amp and no digital bs - pure tube tone.

I'm not trying to push it onto the TS now btw. Was just adding my impression of the amp. It's a gigging monster of a thing. I blow modellers off the stage every other week. Pods and AxeFXes hang their heads in shame next to my RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 14, 2015,
Sounds pretty good but I'd rather have the real thing
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
This is a purely personal opinion - but Im not a big fan of Bogner anything so far. Having that harshness rounded out by a an RM100 power amp would have to be a good thing IMO.
But, like I said - personal taste.

It would make that amp cost you within budgetstill though. That really is a good price for that amp. I paid that plus one of my JD Marshalls with only two modules in it - and that was a good deal.
I bought one of their RM20's the other day. $600. Man, that's used prices over here. They seem to be a decent company to deal with. I bought my GT-100 off them too. $500 new! Again, used price.
If nothing else, poke around their site. Cheapest store in Australia that I know of.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Personal taste I love the Bogner tone, to me it's just pure balls. Plus Reinhold is such a wacko

The RM20 seems more interesting, maybe just to have a couple of modules to get something totally different, but not as a main amp. Would be cool if they sold the RM4 though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
The RM20 is better at keeping up with a drummer since I swapped the greenback for a T75. It's getting a V30 this week. You gotta like EL84 tones though. I do, I build 18W Marshalls. Good little thing, really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The V 25 has EL84s. Sounds good to me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers

The Shiva isn't really a high gain amp, more hard rock. The 20th anniversary model has a lot more gain but I don't think the regular Shiva has enough gain to play stuff like Mastodon, Metallica etc. What's the point of such a nice amp if I'm going to run a distortion pedal in front of it?

I've 0 problem running a KOT in front of my JCM800 to boost it to metal
Boost or distortion?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
The Shiva is hotter than a stock 800 as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Shiva is sold

Any other suggestions? No rush but pretty sure I want a Shiva, guess I'll have to wait until another comes up.

I guess Uberschall + Fender HR would be good too but too much $$$
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Mark V 25, Mk3s, Stiletto Ace, Electra Dyne, 900 SL-X, Lucky 13 etc.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Have you tried the EVH 5150iii? I just picked one up last week, not being 100% sure if I really wanted it or not (have 30 days to bring it back if it doesn't work out), but now that I've had some time to really dig into it, I'm totally in love!

Channel 1 has a pretty sweet, fat clean tone. Chanel 2 can be dialed back for a barely overdriven tone, to a fairly chunky rhythm; and channel 3 just gets crazy heavy If I had to describe the amp with one word, it would be "Monstrous!"

My style is similar to what you listed, and this amps been able to kill all the tones I've wanted out of it! Channel 2 with my P90 LP in the neck position is just pure blues bliss But with that budget, you defiantly have lots of options. It seems to sound best with my humbucker equipped guitars.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H