Hi people, i am looking forward to buying an audio interface and i almost fixed Focusrite Scarlatt Solo, but when a read reviews i understood it have clipping problem for guitar with hot pickups, unfortunately I have SD Blackouts in my ESP EC guitar.

So could you suggest me a decent audio interface which can handle hot pickups like my SD Blackouts?

Some that caught my eye are line 6 ux series.. are they as good as focusrite and do they clip?

Thanks too all in advance
Quote by diabolical
I'd suggest Presonus at this price range, their pres handle active pickups without issues.

Can you tel me which model??
I'd get the Scarlett 2i4. It has an input pad which will prevent clipping from your guitars signal. Its also better than the PreSonus; better reputation, better driver support, better preamps, et cetrera.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Why is it better? Seriously?
Never had issue with Presonus driver support or their preamps. Plus you get Studio one Artist which is awesome to startup with. Focusrite doesn't bundle DAW AFAIK.

From what I read not that many people are ecstatic on Focusrite but this forum is obsessed with it.

I've personally use Presonus and have quite a few local bands that I've worked with using Presonus interfaces and nary a glitch. I can say I've had more issues running PT HD than Presonus gear

I guess do more research on it, there are some Steinberger and Mackie lower budget interfaces coming in, so there are tons of options. I personally wouldn't touch Cubase after they ditched me in a middle of as mixing project but other people are happy with them.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 14, 2015,
I just think its better for many applications man. The only time I would ever suggest the PreSonus over Focusrite is if you need really flat preamps; I guess they are good for that. I've heard many stories of their driver software, and hardware, being unreliable. Similar to the Bugera debate on here, a few stories of their stuff working flawlessly doesn't mean their reputation for being more likely to fail than Focusrite is any less true. I've never heard of a focusrite interface straight up not working; its always user error, or the cpu, or an out of date driver. I can't say the same for PreSonus, Steinberg, M Audio, Tascam, et cetera.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
I've done about 10 Presonus installations personally, never an issue. Maudio and Steinberg still give me nightmares, and Roland makes me a little queasy but nothing beats Pro Tools in my book when it comes to painful mess.

In the sub $200 range I'd be surprised that anyone would want anything but colorless preamps. Are the Saffire's colored? That's a pretty weird statement. Presonus had tube pres (2 front) on one of their 16 channel interfaces which were nice for slamming bass and kick but I wouldn't imagine noobs pining for that stuff.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 14, 2015,
Well I'm happy for your experience. The 2i4 is still the best interface for the job. You know the interface you linked him to doesn't have have a -10 db input pad to prevent his guitar signal clipping, right? Without that input pad, his guitars will clip unless he rolls off the volume knob; crippling him if he wishes to achieve anything more than a lightly gritty tone.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Is it sure that my guitar will clip if i buy a focusrite solo or Presonus? i mean is it just a chance or is it an absolute guarantee the guitar will clip?

(again i use an ESP EC guitar with SD Blackouts with free amp sims like lepou amps and all)
Last edited by hkgokul at Apr 14, 2015,
No, the focusrite scarlett 2i4 is the one that is going to PREVENT your guitar signal from clipping. It has a -10db pad on the input. This will prevent your signal from clipping while still allowing you to have your volume knob at 10, so you still get your full tone.

The only way your signal won't clip without this pad (which the other interfaces mentioned do not have) is if you turn down your guitar volume knob or play super softly. Again, this is crippling, so the input pad is preferred.

Just get the 2i4, dude. Sure the PreSonus is a bit cheaper but you'll deeply regret it. Focusrite is ****ing awesome. They've been in the game so long. Made award winning pre-amps. Their interfaces have a near flawless reputation. You said your budget was 100-200 dollars. Spend the 200, thank me later.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Last edited by BV-95 at Apr 14, 2015,
I have the Presonus FP10 with same preamps, they are engineered to work with direct active or passive. The Focusrite sales team on here has no experience with them :-)

Either way - check your local stores, might be better to buy local for the return policy.
Quote by diabolical
I have the Presonus FP10 with same preamps, they are engineered to work with direct active or passive. The Focusrite sales team on here has no experience with them :-)

Either way - check your local stores, might be better to buy local for the return policy.

The FP10 has a trim control. That is the same thing as a pad. That is why it is able to handle DI guitar signal.
Peavey 6505+ 112

Trim? Not that I know of.
I'm talking input1 in the front which is identical to Audiobox, here are specs:
Look at instrument input:
http://www.presonus.com/products/FP10/techspecs

http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-i-Series/techspecs

Instrument input is same. They do say there could be clipping but users haven't seem to notice any.

Here's a board discussion why not (enough headroom apparently):
http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/22307.page#171885

I run mine at about 2 with Jackson Soloist with active EMGs, no issue.
Ok
Peavey 6505+ 112

The main reason the Focusrite has the pads is because the focusrite pre's are so hot.

This makes them sound pretty killer but it doesn't mean that any other interface is going to give you clipping.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
steinberg CI1, it comes with a program called Sequel LE 2 which is pretty goo
Last edited by jdenmo at Yesterday
I suggest Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4, depending on your needs. They are absolutely excellent on preventing clipping, and has a zero latency switch for direct monitoring. Mine came bundled with Ableton Live Lite 9 (not that I'm producing electronic music, but this daw DOES work well for recording metal and manipulating track data/mixing).

It's insanely durable as well. The casing of the device is solid steel and you can literally stand on it (not that I would suggest standing on expensive equipment)

I have yet to test PreSonus equipment, but I will add that a professor I had for Music Technology suggests to sway away from presonus gear as they are notorious for not working properly after long usage, and that their preamps are nowhere near as solid as a Focusrite, especially with the new line in the Scarlett series. To each his own, we shall see when I can afford other brands of gear for testing purposes.

The Scarlett also comes with a 48volt Phantom Power switch to supply power to some microphones that require a power source. BIG PLUS in the long run honestly.

Mind you, I'm not advertising Focusrite. This is just my personal opinion. I tested the Focursite versus multiple cheap Line6 interfaces and the Focusrite really tickled my pink if you know what I mean.

I've also tried out a MOTU Ultra-Lite mk3 HYBRID in my classes at school, but that's a much more expensive range of equipment as it has MANY inputs/outputs/MIDI selections.

If you're still deciding, mark this as +1 vote for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. (I say 2i2 instead of 2i4 because assuming that you're just starting out, you won't need the extra outputs until you expand in the fun of dicking around with gear)

Remember, to each his own. Everybody has their opinions and preferences in the sound world. Likewise to many people's opinions, PreSonus and Line6's are still great for the money!

Cheers.
Quote by jaspervdv
the 2i2 for DI guitar recording?

that will be a clipping mess

I've recorded DI plenty of times and the clipping management was just fine.
Sorry but Ableton is a mess of a DAW for normal studio production.

That and the clipping issue will make me want to stay away from lower budget Focusrite stuff.

I've used their preamps in the studio and they're clean...nothing super fantastic about them.
We had an outboard rack of Octopre, I think that's what was called.

As far as Presonus, I've had the FP10 since 2004 or 05, not a glitch, another friend has his also circa that time. I've setup and tracked in drummer's home studio with 2 boxes of Fire studio chained together for 2 years, not a glitch. Used Presonus pres in professional studio alongside above-mentioned Focusrite, again no issue for 2+ years and they're still in the rack at the studio so they must work. I tracked another band's album on Firestudio tube, I think it was called, and not an issue.
Your professor must be full of it.
From what I see on audio forums their mixers are also quite popular so that speaks for itself...

I don't want to make it one vs another product, but there's definitely a bias against Presonus from an uninformed source, one that has no experience with it, yet Focusrite is better???

Let's just get the facts straight.
Quote by diabolical
Sorry but Ableton is a mess of a DAW for normal studio production.

That and the clipping issue will make me want to stay away from lower budget Focusrite stuff.

I've used their preamps in the studio and they're clean...nothing super fantastic about them.
We had an outboard rack of Octopre, I think that's what was called.

As far as Presonus, I've had the FP10 since 2004 or 05, not a glitch, another friend has his also circa that time. I've setup and tracked in drummer's home studio with 2 boxes of Fire studio chained together for 2 years, not a glitch. Used Presonus pres in professional studio alongside above-mentioned Focusrite, again no issue for 2+ years and they're still in the rack at the studio so they must work. I tracked another band's album on Firestudio tube, I think it was called, and not an issue.
Your professor must be full of it.
From what I see on audio forums their mixers are also quite popular so that speaks for itself...

I don't want to make it one vs another product, but there's definitely a bias against Presonus from an uninformed source, one that has no experience with it, yet Focusrite is better???

Let's just get the facts straight.

Like I said, I plan to test out some presonus stuff in the future when my budget suits it. Two guys on youtube, "fluff" and "spectresoundstudios" caught my attention with some presonus rack preamp systems. I do agree, Ableton is so out there but when it comes down to it, it's still easy to get something sounding good out of it.

Though, I've only been touching Reaper lately. I used ableton for like two covers and then Reaper kinda shined a light all of a sudden haha (I'm pretty sure you're the same guy that responded to my issue with the metronome on a pantera song)

Something that really has my interest is a presonus mixer/preamp interface in one. If that's not a money saver then I don't know what is
Last edited by DocJ95 at Apr 23, 2015,
Quote by DocJ95

Something that really has my interest is a presonus mixer/preamp interface in one. If that's not a money saver then I don't know what is

There's plenty of options in that market as well. I like the Allen and Heath mixer with firewire 16 channel interface, that's probably the best in the price range. There's fierce competition in this area now though, Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha, etc...
I've worked on the Yamaha 02R digital for quite some time and they're nice, the preamps are stale but clean. These are ADAT compatible so pretty much any recorder that handled ADAT could work with them. We used Pro Tools HD and the Alesis 24 track ADATs with them...

ANyway...the Presonus pres are clean, so are Focusrite's which are maybe a little brighter and hotter as already mentioned. I wouldn't really pick either if I wanted character preamps, unless we're talking one of the Presonus tube pres. Either way, I'd rather go UA, Drawmer, Avalon or get one of the Neve clones.
Quote by jaspervdv
didn't use humbuckers then?

I used humbuckers.