Hello musicians, any love for the Gretsch G5445T? is it neck heavy? I wanted to get a PRS S2 Starla, but I thought I wouldn't want to spend another $1000 for a guitar. so is Gretsch G5445T even worth it (since it's made in China - no hate but I heard bad things about instruments from there)? but yea I hope there's an exception for this one. I already own a Gibson SGJ and Fender tele thinline.

Your opinions will be appreciated!
Last edited by dhenia182 at Apr 14, 2015,
Saying that instruments from China in broad spectrum are bad is just total bullshit. I really like all the Yamaha acoustics that come from China and beat the hell out of any other acoustic in their price range.
Now, some unknown brand or copies (Chibson) are notorious and can be very poor quality.
However, you're talking about a Gretsch, which is owned by Fender family brands. My Classic Vibe strat from China is a top-notch guitar for the money, I doubt the Gretsch is any different.

What do you want to do with this guitar? What are you going to play with it?
Since you already have 2 guitars, is there anything else you should upgrade?

With all that said, the S2 Starla is heaps ahead of the Gretsch and they're 2 very different guitars. Pickups are different, Starla isn't chambered. Starla is made in Maryland USA, that Gretsch is made in China. Don't even compare them...

If you'd like a PRS that's really nice but inexpensive, check out the SE line of guitars.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

The Gretsch Electromatic guitars are excellent for the money, they play well, sound good are as solidly built as you'll get in that price range. I've only played the single cut models, but had no issues with neck heaviness.

As for whether the PRS is worth the extra grand.....only you can decide that.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Sakke
Saying that instruments from China in broad spectrum are bad is just total bullshit. I really like all the Yamaha acoustics that come from China and beat the hell out of any other acoustic in their price range.
Now, some unknown brand or copies (Chibson) are notorious and can be very poor quality.
However, you're talking about a Gretsch, which is owned by Fender family brands. My Classic Vibe strat from China is a top-notch guitar for the money, I doubt the Gretsch is any different.

What do you want to do with this guitar? What are you going to play with it?
Since you already have 2 guitars, is there anything else you should upgrade?

With all that said, the S2 Starla is heaps ahead of the Gretsch and they're 2 very different guitars. Pickups are different, Starla isn't chambered. Starla is made in Maryland USA, that Gretsch is made in China. Don't even compare them...

If you'd like a PRS that's really nice but inexpensive, check out the SE line of guitars.

noted, thanks! I'm going to record indie rock music, searching unique sound, so I'm just going to mess with the bigsby and crunchy clean tones. I know Starla will be a lot better and it is another beast, especially it has coil split which probably gonna make more variety in sound. But other than the money issue, I love having smaller scale guitar coz I'm used to gibson's 24,7inch.
Quote by GaryBillington
The Gretsch Electromatic guitars are excellent for the money, they play well, sound good are as solidly built as you'll get in that price range. I've only played the single cut models, but had no issues with neck heaviness.

As for whether the PRS is worth the extra grand.....only you can decide that.

If I didn't have a child I would buy the PRS S2 Starla without thinking any further lol
Quote by dhenia182
Has anyone tried the double jet? Neck heavy? Fret buzz , sharp edges, etc? I haven't found one in store yet. Only looking at amazon.

Things like fret buzz and sharp fret edges are a lot more subject to the individual instrument than a generalisation such as the way a guitar is designed.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by dhenia182
Has anyone tried the double jet? Neck heavy? Fret buzz , sharp edges, etc? I haven't found one in store yet. Only looking at amazon.

I have played a couple of double jets in stores, sitting down only, didn't really notice any neck-heaviness but it might be a different story when you're standing up with one. I can't imagine it being a problem but you'd have to play one and see for yourself really.

It's also pretty much impossible to tell you whether or not any double jet you happen to end up with is going to have fret buzz and sharp fret edges - these types of problems are related to how well the guitar is set up from the factory and how the wood responds to the climate it has been shipped to, and to a great extent is going to vary on an individual basis.

As a few others have said though, the build quality of the gretsch electromatic models is generally very solid, and I personally have never seen one with any fret problems or other flaws. In my opinion, they are some of the best quality guitars within their price range.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I have played a couple of double jets in stores, sitting down only, didn't really notice any neck-heaviness but it might be a different story when you're standing up with one. I can't imagine it being a problem but you'd have to play one and see for yourself really.

It's also pretty much impossible to tell you whether or not any double jet you happen to end up with is going to have fret buzz and sharp fret edges - these types of problems are related to how well the guitar is set up from the factory and how the wood responds to the climate it has been shipped to, and to a great extent is going to vary on an individual basis.

As a few others have said though, the build quality of the gretsch electromatic models is generally very solid, and I personally have never seen one with any fret problems or other flaws. In my opinion, they are some of the best quality guitars within their price range.

Thank you for this, I hope I can find one at Guitar Center in Binghamton