I vaguely remember a conversation from a few years ago, with a guitarist from a band i'd been watching, saying that his band were playing download but they had payed to be there. Anyone know if this is true and if so how do i go about it? Googled it but it's either things about downloading games or just general information about buying tickets for download. Also, can you do this for other festivals like leeds or sonisphere. I'm in the UK if you haven't guessed. Thanks.

(I can't remember the name of the band the guitarist was from or i would have messaged him).
There are festivals that you can pay to play at, but they are absolutely awful and you don't want to play them. They are nowhere near the calibre of the festivals you mentioned.

Never pay to play dude. Here's a site with lots of handy information for you http://neverpaytoplay.com
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No pay-to-play ever. It is the death of live music and the fastest way to break the spirit of a good band. Play open mics, backyard parties, coffee houses, school lunch breaks, and hone your craft until you can generate a crowd. Then they will pay you.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 14, 2015,
cheers man, that website was a good read. Was only interested if it was the big ones, must have misheard/remembered it wrong.
...or perhaps the dude just happened to be a big lying douchebag

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by Cajundaddy
No pay-to-play ever. It is the death of live music and the fastest way to break the spirit of a good band. Play open mics, backyard parties, coffee houses, school lunch breaks, and hone your craft until you can generate a crowd. Then they will pay you.

Awesome advice.
Cajun is pretty spot on. Keep at it long enough and interest in your band will continue to grow and eventually larger venues and possibly even festival organizers will be asking you to come play and will be paying YOU instead of the other way around. I know of a couple acquaintances that did pay-to-play gigs...neither had a fortunate time.
Cheers for all the replies. Just to be clear, i'd never pay to play just a normal show. The guy could well have been lying. Bands only had one gig but if there was an opportunity to play download or something of that stature for a few hundred then i would do it tomorrow. Thanks again
Quote by Ugly Mule
if there was an opportunity to play download or something of that stature for a few hundred then i would do it tomorrow. Thanks again

Quote by JBailey23
If it was a legit chance I think we all would

Would you pay $500 to play a 20 minute set at 11am?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Ugly Mule
Cheers for all the replies. Just to be clear, i'd never pay to play just a normal show. The guy could well have been lying. Bands only had one gig but if there was an opportunity to play download or something of that stature for a few hundred then i would do it tomorrow. Thanks again

Not even then. Selling spots in a major festival to fill out their billing is an indication of a failed promotor and a dead festival. Fans paid big $$ to see major acts and they will be pissed if Johnny-no-name band comes out to play. Nothing good can come of this. If you get on the bill because you have a great show that already attracts large crowds at other venues a festival is great. Paying for a spot without being vetted by fans and promoters will go nowhere.

No P2P ever!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 15, 2015,