Hi all,

I have a Vintage V100 Les Paul guitar.
My guitar goes out of tune everyday since my strings are changed and the action is raised by 0,5mm (since it was too low)

Example:
Standard tuned day before. Day after it in between a flat / standard tune.

The guitar shop has raised the action by 0,5mm and changed the standard strings with D'Adorrio EPN110. Link below:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&ProductId=50&productname=EPN110_Pure_Nickel__Regular_Light__10_45

Would this be the tuners or something else?
Last edited by Classic Wave at Apr 14, 2015,
When were your strings changed? Probably they didn't settled in yet.
Quote by DanyFS
When were your strings changed? Probably they didn't settled in yet.

About 14 days ago
Quote by Classic Wave
About 14 days ago

Then I suppose they should have already settled by now. Did you by any chance changed the gauge?
The problem is likely due to one or both of [1.] incorrectly strung or [2.] a badly cut nut.

Bad tuners are rarely to blame for tuning problems, even on low-end instruments. How much does it go out of tune? It's pretty common to need to tune a guitar when you pick it up... Does it go out of tune when you bend the strings? Or when playing at all?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by DanyFS
Then I suppose they should have already settled by now. Did you by any chance changed the gauge?

The guitar shop has changed the standard strings with D'Adorrio EPN110. Link below:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD..._Light__10_ 45
Nowhere I could find the original strings that were on it.

Quote by Stillhouse
Do you stretch your new strings when you change them?

www.guitarworld.com/ed-s-shed-stay-tune-stretching-your-strings

The guitar shop has changed it. I suppose they should know, that this must be done.
Is it possible to do again (if they did it) or should this harm the guitar.

Quote by HomerSGR
The problem is likely due to one or both of [1.] incorrectly strung or [2.] a badly cut nut.

Bad tuners are rarely to blame for tuning problems, even on low-end instruments. How much does it go out of tune? It's pretty common to need to tune a guitar when you pick it up... Does it go out of tune when you bend the strings? Or when playing at all?

Out of tune, each new day when i come home (didn't check when stopped playing) (about all a half step down

I just tried with normal bends, all stay pretty close in tune (just go out a little).
Only the 4th string (D in standard) goes to almost a Db / C# after some bending.
They either didn't stretched the strings properly or your nut isn't cut properly. Or both?

By the way, string changing and action raising was something you could do by yourself, unless there is some reason why you took it to a shop to do that simple job.
I agree with DanyFS, I think your strings didn't get stretched.

Try watching a few string changing videos on youtube. Its not hard to change your own strings.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Quote by DanyFS
They either didn't stretched the strings properly or your nut isn't cut properly. Or both?

By the way, string changing and action raising was something you could do by yourself, unless there is some reason why you took it to a shop to do that simple job.

Issue was not before the strings were swapped. So the nut must be fine.

Reason i didn't do it myself because I wanted him solve the issue with a few buzzing strings / frets. (that is solved now) Action to low and standard strings too ... well u know
How's the humidity in the room/house? I find that a change in humidity impacts the tuning on both my acoustics and electrics.
If you go up in string gauge, it's possible the nut was badly cut to begin with but because you're using bigger strings, they bind more. After 14 days, strings will have stretched just by being held in tune. Your strings will have been stretched perfectly fine after a playing session.

It's also possible that whoever did it just sucks at restringing and the strings keep slipping at the tuners.
The "strings were not stretched" option is absolutely impossible, that might be an issue for the first few hours of playing but not for two weeks.

It's normal that it can go a bit out of tune when not played, but if it's as severe as a quarter tone difference, then there must be a bigger reason. Although I'm not sure what could it be if you say everything was fine before the string change.
If the guitar is in a room that has noticeable changes in temperature during the day, this can account for expansion and contraction of metal and wood which will affect the tuning.
String change and temperature both can be an issue. It only takes 2° temp change to affect tuning. I've had loads of problems with that onstage in places where the AC kicks on every 15 minutes. Start a song fine and halfway through I'm out of tune...it sucks...

Too many wraps when stringing can cause a lot of string slippage. All those wraps still have to stretch and settle in before it will really stay in tune. Between that and temperature changes I had hell with tuning before I started using the method I use now to string my guitars.

I cut the string about 1½ inch longer than the tuner. Put it through and leave a ½" tag end. Wind above the tag end first wrap, below it the second. I usually end up with about 2 to 2½ wraps, now the only time I have tuning issues is when the AC kicks in...

I pulled my Squier Strat out of the case Saturday night for a gig, put it on a tuner and had to change one string slightly, still mostly in tune since practice 3 nights earlier. Acoustic still perfect, Cort CL1500 still perfect. Peavey Patriot had to be completely retuned, it hadn't been changed since last time I took it to a gig during cold weather.

The way you string your guitar makes a big difference, tuners are very rarely the problem if tuning is going bye bye. I'm still using 50 year old open back tuners on my 1966 Harmony, cheapest things ever made and the el cheapo tuners on my Squier Strat are still the original ones. Both hold their tuning very well using the stringing method I described above.

If the strings were not stretched, there is still a chance they are still stretching, but not very likely. I'd say it's more likely either temp changes or the way the strings were put on. That's why I never let a music store touch my guitars. If it needs anything other than major repairs, I do it myself. If it's major, I need a new guitar...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
If the tech raised action at the bridge and the string tension is higher (possible) then maybe the neck is settling somewhat day by day?

The force of the strings pulling on the neck would be at a very slightly higher angle, and it may be enough to introduce a bit of a bow. I would think that a good tech would also have made truss rod adjustments if necessary and etc...

So is this a good tech?

But mostly I would question how the strings were wrapped around the tuners. I recently revised my own string replacement procedure and my guitars are all holding tune better than they used to. Two of them are generally dead on a few days later, and they didn't used to be that good.
Quote by HomerSGR

i disagree. most of my guitars stay in good tune for quite a while. a properly set up guitar should be able to stay in tune well beyond a day or two. my main teles don't get tuned once a week and they are fine.

OP - i would take it back to the shop and have them explain it to you. i would find a new tech.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If I leave a guitar OUT of the case overnight, I'll often find it's gone out of tune (unless it's a Floyd-equipped guitar) a bit. That's a pretty rare occurrence, since my guitars live in their cases 99% of their lives, and when I pull them out of the case, they're usually still in tune.
Thanks for your feedback all. Learned a lot from it.

Tonight there will be new pickups in it and I go a shop I trust more.
He will fix it all if there is anything. (good tech)
Try nut sauce on your nut. I find my guitars stay in tune much better since I started using it.
Quote by TheLiberation
The "strings were not stretched" option is absolutely impossible, that might be an issue for the first few hours of playing but not for two weeks.

It's normal that it can go a bit out of tune when not played, but if it's as severe as a quarter tone difference, then there must be a bigger reason. Although I'm not sure what could it be if you say everything was fine before the string change.

Sorry but that's bollocks, if you don't properly stretch strings you can find yourself having tuning issues several weeks down the line depending on how much you play and also your playing style.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I forgot to stretch them more than once, or remembered to stretch some but not all, and never had any significant tuning issues because of that. Not to mention that unless you're Arnold, I don't think it's likely you can stretch strings with your hands more than the several kg of tension they're constantly under when they're tuned in the guitar.
That's the whole point of stretching them, they never get close to their elastic limit just sat on your guitar. The second half of your statement is downright childish, of course you're going to be applying significantly more tension when stretching a string than when it's static on your guitar - that's high school physics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That's the whole point of stretching them, they never get close to their elastic limit just sat on your guitar. The second half of your statement is downright childish, of course you're going to be applying significantly more tension when stretching a string than when it's static on your guitar - that's high school physics.

And how does briefly adding a bit more tension stretch it more effectively than a lot of tension applied permanently for weeks? Unless you tune a set of 9s on a 24,75" scale to D standard, but then I think you'll still have bigger reasons to worry about regarding tuning stability than strings not being stretched enough.

If your theory made any sense and it was an actual reason of severe long-term tuning issues, you'd be getting threads like this 5 times a day on this forum, and it's also the reason why I'm not going to be arguing this any further.
Because to stop something stretching you need to tension it beyond its elastic limit, it doesn't matter how long the strings are on your guitar for because for the most part they're at a constant tension.

Like I said, it's high school physics.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc