How people get the higher pitch pinch harmonics on the low E string? I can do them just fine but its always very low pitch. I know it won't squeal like D and G but it barely sounds Like a harmonic at all.
I play with both standard 10s and hybrid 10s.
are you wide vibratoing it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does the pitch change depending on how the string touches my thumb? Maybe I've got too much contact?
Best advice I can give is positioning. For the e string I find that hitting the pinch in the middle of the pickups will give you a deeper harmonic. While a bit higher up towards the frets will give you a higher pitch harmonic.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Quote by Xerosnake90
Best advice I can give is positioning. For the e string I find that hitting the pinch in the middle of the pickups will give you a deeper harmonic. While a bit higher up towards the frets will give you a higher pitch harmonic.

Hmm thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot..I can say I always do it in the middle of the two pups.
Every fret has a different harmonic node, so where a harmonic rings out on one fret it might not on the other. It would be wise to experiment all over the string.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 14, 2015,
Try it right at the end of the fretboard and just before it. There are several good places, that's my favorite. You can also get some good ones above the last 2 frets. Not as easy to do, the neck gets in the way, but it can be done with some practice. To use those you have to have a light touch. If you start at the neck and work backwards toward the bridge you'll find a lot of places where harmonics will come out at different pitches.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'll let you in on a cool trick to get screaming harmonics on the low E. Instead of using your pick to sound the note, turn your pick hand to an angle that is directly above and to the front of the neck pickup and as soon as you strike the note (try F#) lower your hand until the flesh of your palm just barely touches the string (your hand should look like it's going to karate-chop the guitar). You will need to experiment on the exact "node" to find the best places to get these harmonics but once you find it you will have a whole new way to get them.

It is the same technique that Eddie Van Halen used back in the day only instead of trilling on a note and sliding your palm down the string to sound random harmonics you are staying in a stationary position to nail a specific harmonic/note.

Hope this makes sense it's a cool trick to know.
Last edited by soulgrenade at Apr 15, 2015,
Thanks for the tips and tricks! I'll give them all a shot and see which works best for me.
yeah experiment with the position of where your thumb hits the string, there are a bunch of nodes at different places which will affect the pitch of the pinch harmonic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?