Hey everyone,

I didn't know where to put this thread so I'll just post it here.

In a few days I'll have my first gig as a singer (my main instrument is guitar, but in my current band I only sing), which makes me the frontman, so I need some cool/funny/nice things to say to interact with the audience.

When I'm going to concerts or just watching live videos of songs, I'm not sure if those frontmen prepare for all they are going to say or if they're just improvising.
Sure I can say the introducing stuff and the standard "are you having a good time" things, but is it enough? Do you have some tips or advice for me, maybe?

Thanks
"what's the deal with airplane food?!?"

guaranteed hit
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Learn to be a good public speaker.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
hold the mic out to people in the audience as if they know the words to your songs even though it's probably the first time anyone has seen your band.

actually saw a guy do that once. p funny. kept bugging these girls so they kept moving. they tried hiding behind some other people and the dude just craned his arm over top of them.

real advice: say as little as possible. no one wants to hear the singer talk for more than 5 seconds because you're just wasting everyone's time. just play the next song.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Just show them your frontman tip.

Works every time.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Timon 95
standard "are you having a good time"

Don't know about anyone else but for me this is the worst and cringiest thing you could ever say.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Nero Galon
Don't know about anyone else but for me this is the worst and cringiest thing you could ever say.

it seems like something that would be easy to say if you don't have much else to say but it always comes off like an annoying friend
Silverstein has this song about how Billy always buys the best groceries and how they always eat them even though they know it's his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8amDFG49YI

They played that a few times because they "messed up" and it was pretty funny.
Also interesting because they all switched instruments.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
"hey you!" *points to random in audience* "you need a new amp"

"this song is a massive **** you to ____"

At end of set: "if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have sex with my girlfriend now"

EDIT: don't say "how is everyone?" a guitarist I knew threatened to walk off stage if the singer said that again. She walked off about three songs into the next gig.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Apr 14, 2015,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
real advice: say as little as possible. no one wants to hear the singer talk for more than 5 seconds because you're just wasting everyone's time. just play the next song.

Yeah, this. Unless you're particularly funny or clever or whatever I'd keep the chatter to a minimum. Something you should say, though, is the name of your band. Introduce yourselves at or near the start of your set. I've been to shows where a lesser known band will play their set without any sort of introduction. Afterwards everyone will be like "hey that band was rad, but which one were they?"
Wow I had to read the comments to find out that venom weren't actually a mock band and were serious.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Jon777
Yeah, this. Unless you're particularly funny or clever or whatever I'd keep the chatter to a minimum. Something you should say, though, is the name of your band. Introduce yourselves at or near the start of your set. I've been to shows where a lesser known band will play their set without any sort of introduction. Afterwards everyone will be like "hey that band was rad, but which one were they?"

I agree and disagree.
Of course it's important to let them know the name of the band, but I'd argue it's more effective to say it at the END of your set.
That way it's fresh in their minds when you walk off

Quote by Nero Galon
Wow I had to read the comments to find out that venom weren't actually a mock band and were serious.

Venom are awesome
Quote by jakesmellspoo
say as little as possible. no one wants to hear the singer talk for more than 5 seconds because you're just wasting everyone's time. just play the next song.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
'Ugh you guys are stunning. I want to memorize every freckle on your bodies..."
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 14, 2015,
Quote by darkwolf291
I agree and disagree.
Of course it's important to let them know the name of the band, but I'd argue it's more effective to say it at the END of your set.
That way it's fresh in their minds when you walk off

For sure, I can agree with that. End of the set might also be better since not everyone shows up right when the set starts.
Be yourself and say as little as possible. You don't have to say something inbetween every song.

Don't say:
"Are you ready to have a good time"
"Are you ready to rock"
"Hello St. Louis!" (and your in Springfield)
"Is everyone having a good time?"
and if you're a new band don't talk about your next song. No one will care until they've heard and/or liked it.

Do some David Lee Roth kicks and jumps and you're golden!
Quote by Rebel Scum
and if you're a new band don't talk about your next song. No one will care until they've heard and/or liked it.

this is good advice
Quote by Rebel Scum
if you're a new band don't talk about your next song. No one will care until they've heard and/or liked it.

you might get away with it if it's a cover of a song that everyone knows, like Louie Louie or something.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Whatever you do say, be concise and to the point. You don't want to be umming and uuuhhhing and forgetting stuff you're trying to say. Know what you wanna say, get to the mic, say it, and get away. You want to seem professional, not like some guy in some band at some bar saying some stuff.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by Baby Joel
"what's the deal with airplane food?!?"

guaranteed hit

Yes, some good jokes will do the trick.

"What's the deal with play-doh? Do you want me to eat it or not? Why else would you let me make "food" out of it? Am I right?"

Oh, always end your jokes with 'Am I right?'. That way the audience can tell that it was a good joke
Quote by Pastafarian96
you might get away with it if it's a cover of a song that everyone knows, like Louie Louie or something.

True dat
Take a leaf out of the late great GG Allin's stage presence....

Getting naked, assaulting your audience members and shitting all over the stage are perfectly acceptable.

In reality though, keep what you have to say short and sweet. No one cares about the backstory of any song you have. I used to play with a singer who did that crap, so I used to just play random riffs over the top of him until he got the hint.

And definitely make sure to introduce your band and don't forget to say the band name at the end of the set.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Jon777

Right, I have an idea of what to do now

And thank you all for stopping me from saying lame things.
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
Quote by Cardbored
Every Hardcore Vocalist

Start taking notes.

I immediately thought of that when I saw this thread, good find.

Seriously though, I'd also recommend showing some chemistry with your bandmates. Include them in the "discussion" when you're talking and what not between songs. It shows that you're all a band, not just a singer and some guys playing music behind him.
Don't show us. Srs it's 2015 it's all about instrumental bands with no annoying frontman.
^ yeah frank is right.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Make sure you let everyone know your not singing as well as normal because of the acoustics in the room.