So I am getting my second custom guitar built and I really want to find the right pickups for it. With my last guitar I put in Dimarzio D-activators in it, and before that I have tried everything from the Seymour Duncan JB 7 (along with blackouts and a few other seymour duncan 7 string pickups), the dimarzio evolution and breed 7s and all the John Petrucci 7 string pickups along with multiple EMG 7 string pickups and I just don't love any of them.

On my 6 string I have an Dimarzio evolution in the bridge and a Paf Pro in the neck and I love that combination. The evolution has the clarity and output I need while the PAF Pro has the thickness and tone I look for in a neck pickup. Sadly the Evolution 7 string pickup really sounds nothing like the 6 string version, and I cannot find anything for 7 string that is like a PAF Pro.

The new guitar will be Mahogany with a flame maple top and a maple neck. I play a lot of Prog metal music, but also get into some classic rock and pop once in a while.

Price isn't really much of a problem but that being said I don't want to pay like 300 dollars for a single pickup.

Help please?
What's your amp? And regular humbucker size or soapbar size?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Typical humbucker size, and I use an Axe Fx II mark 2. I am also planning on having the pickups direct mounted into the guitar.
Immediate thought in my mind is Lace Deathbucker/Alumitone 7 set. But do not drop the pots down to 250k like they recommend. Lots of clarity here and not extremely high on the resistance do it's pretty dynamic. Turned my mahogany body 7 string project from super dark to very balanced and dynamic. Works well for my prog and sludge tastes.

From the SD line I always liked the Custom 5 in the bridge and Jazz neck. I'm not too familiar with anything from the DiMarzio line outside the Crunchlab/Liquifire set.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by JosephFeagin8
Typical humbucker size, and I use an Axe Fx II mark 2. I am also planning on having the pickups direct mounted into the guitar.

Shit.

We can't tell him that he really needs a new amp.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Shit.

We can't tell him that he really needs a new amp.

Au contraire. Dialing in new graphic EQs for 7 string patches may help as well.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have tried a lot of EQing. I think a lot of my issue has to do with the feel of the pickup. The 6 string even tuned to the same tuning just sounds significantly better.
Quote by JosephFeagin8
I have tried a lot of EQing. I think a lot of my issue has to do with the feel of the pickup. The 6 string even tuned to the same tuning just sounds significantly better.

Try downloading someone's sound you really like and then put the guitar in which you think sounds muddy? I think that's the only thing you haven't at least told us yet.

I find it hard to imagine that your tone would be too muddy with an Axe-FX, cause I have the notorious muddy Blaze pickups in my Universe and they sound just fine with my Tech21 PSA.
You should be like absolutely able to kill anything you don't like in the pickup with your amp.

Maybe you should try the new, hyped up Fishman Fluence pickups, available for 7-string too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Check out the Seymour Duncan Full Shred 7 if you haven't yet. Have you checked out their Pegasus/Sentinel set?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Seymour Duncan Full Shred 7 if you haven't yet. Have you checked out their Pegasus/Sentinel set?

I mentioned in some other thread I found the Full Shred bridge to be muddy for 7 string. But the Pegasus/Sentient seems to be a good set as well.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I mentioned in some other thread I found the Full Shred bridge to be muddy for 7 string. But the Pegasus/Sentient seems to be a good set as well.

I could second this based on demos, but not own experience...

TS, you could also check out Ionizer 7 set by Dimarzio.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Have you checked out the BKP Cold Sweat? Or the Miracle Man for more output.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It isn't really muddiness that I am having an issue with. The pickups are quite clear, and unless I am just using a really old school dirty amp the sound is quite pristine. I mostly just feel like my 6 string pickups (the evolution and PAF Pro) just sound better and clearer.
I have never tried the full shred 7 or the sentient or Nazgul, though I have wanted to try all of them.