Hey guys, apologies if this sort of stuff has been done to death in here, but I have a bit of a dilemma regarding interfaces.

I'm currently debating between the Steinberg CI1 ($199NZ) and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ($279NZ). I'm not particularly fussy with regards to preamps (as long as they're not complete garbage) and I'd rather have something that isn't going to shit out on me in a few months time.

Basically, would it be worth forking out a bit more for the Scarlett or would the CI1 work just as well? I'll be running it into Reaper if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
Steinberg interfaces have noisy preamps. Go with the Focusrite.

If you need really flat preamps, PreSonus Audiobox is a good choice.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Actually from I've read about tests performed they're saying Steinberg has better preamps than Scarlett or Audiobox. I haven't confirmed personally...
Steinberg is Yamaha now so maybe the interfaces are fine. I had awful experience with their customer support over the years and have completely dropped them from my list of possible purchases.
I like Presonus, the Studio One software is also worth a look, much better than Reaper IMO, but I run it with all the bells and whistles. It is also rock solid with their interfaces.
I am on a FP10 right now and have no plans to upgrade as long as I can run it in Windows 7 (and maybe 8).
How can "tests" confirm that one preamp is better than another? That is entirely subjective.

A quality such as "noisy", however, is not.
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Wow cheers guys, I wasn't expecting to get replies so quick haha.

I looked into Presonus (not Focusrite, edited for major derp), but none of the retailers in my area stock them and the only NZ retailer they listed on their site seems to have turned into a production company :/

@BV-95, the noisy preamp thing would definitely be a deal-breaker for me. I guess there's a reason I've never heard Steinbergs recommended before...

Is there anything else in this sort of price range that I should look at?
Last edited by AxolotlShredder at Apr 15, 2015,
Do retailers in your area stock PreSonus interfaces?
Peavey 6505+ 112

Oh my bad, it's Presonus they don't stock Wonder how I ****ed that up...

So the Focusrite is currently the main option, unless I find something better.
You won't.
Peavey 6505+ 112

I have a Steinberg interface - the MR816. It is fantastic, and the preamps are NOT noisy. I've had mine for going on five years now probably, and when it dies, I will buy another one.

Read the reviews. Every review I have read about the Steinberg interfaces have highlighted the preamps as being one of the real strengths.

I believe even the smaller (cheaper) interfaces use the same preamps as the more expensive ones. The difference in price is the internal processing and the number of preamps, I believe.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
That said, I have a couple of preamps that really are measurably better than the pres in the Steinberg, but at almost $1000/channel, they should be. ;-)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.