Page 1 of 2
Hi guys!

I actually use an Epiphone prophecy EX with emg active pickups but I'm about to sell it and I'd like to know what are your opinions about the guitar I should get to replace it

I'd like a guitar that offers me versatility in sound... I'd like to be able to play good cleans and bluessy tones, but I'd like to be able to play some progressive/classic rock and Metal...

For example... I like Opeth and the sound they get from they PRS but a custom 24 it's like 2k o 3.5k and my budget is just between the 1000~1500 range

I like the different sounds this kind of bands can achieve from albums like Orchid>Still Life> Blackwater Park> Ghost Reveries> Pale Communion...

I also like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson a lot, Megadeth, Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Camel, etc...

I'm looking for an axe that let's me get a nice variety of sounds cause, I'll only have that guitar and I wont be able to buy another one soon...

Btw... I play with a fender Mustang 1... I know is not the greatest thing but... well I'll get a better amp later!

Well I hope you can help me guys and thank you!
Btw... I was thinking about buying an LTD EC-1000 but i find the upper frets of the guitar are harder to reach in the single cut guitar models, and I found that easier in the double cut... like the PRS 24...

What do you guys think?
We such a crap amp even a 7.000$ PRS will sound shit.
Anyway not sure your in Europe but check them out
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_se_custom_24_30th_flame_top_cs.htm
And maybe you can buy a better amp or some pedals with the money left
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Apr 15, 2015,
Hi, thanks for your answer!
Im from Mexico, but I guess is not that hard to get a PRS SE in here, and they dont seem that expensive, not like the USA Custom ones...

But do you think they are good guitars?

And btw, what amp would you recommend me to buy?
Honestly, if you're dead set on tone, a good amp would get you further in that price range. If it has to be guitar related that you spend that on, get like Bare Knuckle pickups or some other brand that makes high end and high output pickups because that'll also help you out a ton. You can do active or passive (my preference) but low end emgs will never sound good IMO.

To answer your question though assuming you just have guitar fever (which I get and relate to) you'd be surprised what a tele with a humbucker in the bridge can get you, especially with the right distortion pedal. There are plenty in that price range.
Get a new amp before even considering getting a new guitar. You desperately need something better.

Something like a used Peavey JSX would be a fantastic choice just for its versatility, even though it would eat into your budget.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 15, 2015,
what about a tele with a humbucker in the neck?

or a HSS strat

or a les paul doublecut with a P90 in the neck?

or an ibanez that is HSH.

etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah a new amp would do you better

But you can get a PRS CE24 for your budget used. The CE (classic Electric) are built to the same spec's as the custom 22/24, same electronics only they have a bolt-thru maple neck vs a set neck.

Here is one for $1399

www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-1997-PRS-CE24-109825988-i3636975.gc

Here is one for $1200 (just call and ask for pic's
www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-CE24-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110952674-i4258121.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get a new amp before even considering getting a new guitar. You desperately need something better.

Something like a used Peavey JSX would be a fantastic choice just for its versatility, even though it would eat into your budget.

I wouldn't recommend a JSX for all that tbh (having a 333XL and playing some of that stuff), it doesn't really cut it for the more vintage tones like Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin etc.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I wouldn't recommend a JSX for all that tbh (having a 333XL and playing some of that stuff), it doesn't really cut it for the more vintage tones like Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin etc.

it will work, but your right it is not ideal. The biggest issue with dialing the JSX/XXX in is the active EQ does not work exactly like a typical passive EQ.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a real amp first, the guitar will be fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Mikael played a Laney Gh50L for most of those earlier albums. It is a great "british" voiced ampand should be able to be found for fairly cheap. Not sure how well it will get for Zep and Camel though. I normally play my JCM to cover all those areas. It covers Opeth fairly well.

Like others have said though, amp needs to be sorted out. Your guitar is fine.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
In answer to the title question:

I've recently spent that kind of money on a Variax (JTV-89F). It's a superstrat-ish guitar with 24 frets, wide/flat fretboard (16" radius, jumbo frets), 25.5" scale, a set of very solid and slightly hot pickups, Floyd (also available without), big, solid mahogany body, maple neck with a matte finish. Great playability and the five-way switch gives you some interesting choices that you don't ordinarily get with a two-humbucker guitar. It'd be a very good piece if you stopped there. But wait, there's more.

The JTV-89F allows you to switch into modeling mode, and that gets you something like 25 different guitars, including strat, tele, LP (including P90 models), Rickenbacker, etc., etc., and even some interesting choices such as acoustic guitars, 12-strings and even an electric sitar (which I've used!). These are the built-in ones. You can actually edit them (Workbench software on the computer) and produce whole new guitar designs and then move them to the presets on the guitar. Most agree that the strat, tele and LP sounds are bang on. In fact, Mutt Lange famously picked the Variax's modeled tele sound over actual teles for his then-wife Shania Twain's first tour backup band. Better yet, there's no noise with the single coil style pickups at all. But wait, there's more.

The Variax guitars will also let you set alternate tunings. The JTV-89F was aimed at the metal crowd, so the factory dial comes preset with drop and downtunings all the way down to Baritone. rotate the dial and you're instantly in an alternate tuning (no changes in string tension, no retuning the guitar necessary). It uses pitch replacement technology, and it can do this alternate tuning with any of the models engaged, including acoustics and even the modeled pickups of the JTV-89F itself. Again, however, you can edit the tunings both using the guitar itself to reset things AND using the computer to do so, so that if you never use Drop Bb but would rather use Blues G, you can. You can change tunings in the middle of a song between beats. But wait, there's more.

If you use the Variax cable and plug into a Pod HD500 or HD Pro (X models included, of course), you can store guitar model and alternate tuning in a user preset on the Pods along with amp/cab/FX information, and change *everything* with a single stomp. The Variax cable (a sort of "hardened" ethernet cable) will also carry the magnetic pickup signal (but without any capacitance issues as you get from traditional guitar cable) and, in fact, you can split the magnetic pickup signal and the modeled guitar signal and have both running at the same time into two different internal rigs inside the pod, and even have them set out to two separate channels on, for example, a PA system, at the same time. The Variax cable also carries power to the guitar (the modeling ordinarily runs off an interchangeable rechargeable LiIon battery in the back of the guitar), which means you aren't using battery power.

Okay. Want a second choice? Buy a Carvin DC-145. It's an H-S-H configured neck-through 24-fret customizable guitar. Get it with a master volume, master tone, five-way switch, two miniswitches for coil tapping the two humbuckers and a "bridge pickup add-in" miniswitch. The neck heel really doesn't exist; it's an absolutely smooth transition into the body and provides amazing 24th-fret access. Carvins come with outstanding fretwork, great build quality. They can be customized to an astounding degree (careful, here -- there have been some seriously stupid guitars built by idiots <G> and delivered within 6-8 weeks.
The thing is... My epiphone is already sold... It is a good guitar, but I need something else and I'd like to be sure before buying 'cause as I said... I'm from México and is not that easy to get some guitars in here...
I know I need a better amp, I was thinking about getting a Peavey Valveking II, but I don't play in a band, (work issues) so I'm not sure If getting that kind of amp is the best option for me (but I'd love to have a valve one...)

So yeah... Im thinking on getting a better amp, but right now my Fender Mustang is all I have, and is not that bad for practice and I don't think is a bad amp at all (look at Chris Zoupa, he uses one and gets and amazing sound from it)

But again, my guitar is sold, so I need to buy a new one...

I've been thinking about these models:

PRS SE Custom 24 30th aniversary
PRS S2 Custom 24 30th aniversary
Ltd EC-1000 VB

I really wanted that PRS CE but i don't know if i'll be able to buy one here in Mexico since it has been discontinued as far as I know...

That carvin that Dspellman mentions seem nice, and I know a Carvin dealer so I'll ask him about it...

What do you think about my options? or what else would you suuggest?
Quote by carpercen
The thing is... My epiphone is already sold... It is a good guitar, but I need something else and I'd like to be sure before buying 'cause as I said... I'm from México and is not that easy to get some guitars in here...

Dude -- road trip!
Get your butt up to LA and we'll hunt down your guitar!

Actually, since Carvin is in the San Diego area, you can check out the factory there.
I wish I could man... but that's out of my options right now due to work... plus I live in the south of my country, in the Peninsula de Yucatan... I'm way to far from the USA and I can't leave work just like that
:P Just throwing my two cents in

I agree with a lot of the guys up here suggesting you grab a new amp
imo cheap amps can restrict your guitar's sound so much and can give so little in terms of depth in tone.

In terms of versatile guitars though I might be a liiittllle biased towards a HSH Strat with after-market pups or a HH Tele with after market pups
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by xvasmx
:P Just throwing my two cents in

I agree with a lot of the guys up here suggesting you grab a new amp
imo cheap amps can restrict your guitar's sound so much and can give so little in terms of depth in tone.

In terms of versatile guitars though I might be a liiittllle biased towards a HSH Strat with after-market pups or a HH Tele with after market pups

Yep.

Get a Mex Tele with plenty left over for a real amp. Welcome to tone town.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

And what about the PRS Se Custom 24?
I've never played a fender, I know they are great guitar... but I have always played 24 frets guitars... that's why I was considering the PRS SE or S2...
I'd take a PRS S2 over a SE anyday
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
how bad is te SE comparing to the S2?
And in that price range, are these models ok or I can get something better?
Quote by carpercen
I wish I could man... but that's out of my options right now due to work... plus I live in the south of my country, in the Peninsula de Yucatan... I'm way to far from the USA and I can't leave work just like that

Nice area. I have done quite a bit of diving off Cozumel, Tulum, and the cenotes Yucatan.

I have been playing quite a while and have used some 24f guitars but never felt the need to own one. All 8 of my guitars are 22f or less. Nothing up there I really want to play, and placing the neck PU exactly at the 2nd harmonic is a very sweet spot for tone which is why Fenders usually stop at 22f. That said I understand that we each want what we want...

Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep.

Get a Mex Tele with plenty left over for a real amp. Welcome to tone town.

Once you make it to tone town you never wanna leave

Quote by carpercen
I've never played a fender, I know they are great guitar... but I have always played 24 frets guitars... that's why I was considering the PRS SE or S2...

Ah I see, I respect that, we each have our preferences!
Can't say I have a lot of experience with either guitar I'll have to defer to someone else ^^;
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
I like Schecters. Hellraiser in either single or double cut. You get great woods, neck through, beautiful finish, EMG.. in my opinion one of the most comfortable necks I've held. Snag one for $1,000 or less. Leaves $500 to hunt down a good tube amp.
Quote by carpercen
I found the SE CU24 to be a fantastic guitar after i'd swapped the pups,Blocked the trem,Sanded the neck and changed the tuners for locking Grovers.It really was great after that.
What would be a good amp to match that PRS S2 custom 24?
I don't play in any band, just play in my home and sometimes jamm with friends so... is there an amp you would recommend that can grant me versatility from good cleans to good metal distortion, blues and rock?

Or maybe a 1 clean channel amp good enough and I could run distortion trough pedals, like a metal muff ?
Quote by carpercen
What would be a good amp to match that PRS S2 custom 24?
I don't play in any band, just play in my home and sometimes jamm with friends so... is there an amp you would recommend that can grant me versatility from good cleans to good metal distortion, blues and rock?

Or maybe a 1 clean channel amp good enough and I could run distortion trough pedals, like a metal muff ?

The Peavey Vypyr tube 60 is nice and so is the Line 6 Spider Valve.

These are hybrid amps that use tubes in the power-section
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Peavey Vypyr tube 60 is nice and so is the Line 6 Spider Valve.

These are hybrid amps that use tubes in the power-section

I like the vypyr tube more than the Spider Valve. But I have spent more time on the Peavy though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Robbgnarly
it will work, but your right it is not ideal. The biggest issue with dialing the JSX/XXX in is the active EQ does not work exactly like a typical passive EQ.

well actually it does. between 1-5 it is passive and can be set that way it's just a little harder to set as precisely as a normal 1-10. after 5 the active part kicks in. my Ultra has the same eq setup. i don't really seem to have any problems getting 70s tones out of it as that is kind of my bread and butter playing wise. the active part comes in handy when using my strat and needing "more". if you dial up the mids you can get a sort of humbucker tone which works great for metal type stuff.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Used suhr modern satin is the answer to every guitar question

only if you want to basically turn on a light with the brightness of your sound
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
only if you want to basically turn on a light with the brightness of your sound

There are pickups and tone controls to help with that you know.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Seeing as you asked for versatile guitar. +1 for variax 89. Also 90's Parker fly deluxe.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by monwobobbo
well actually it does. between 1-5 it is passive and can be set that way it's just a little harder to set as precisely as a normal 1-10. after 5 the active part kicks in. my Ultra has the same eq setup. i don't really seem to have any problems getting 70s tones out of it as that is kind of my bread and butter playing wise. the active part comes in handy when using my strat and needing "more". if you dial up the mids you can get a sort of humbucker tone which works great for metal type stuff.

and what about Peavey Valveking II?
Quote by Cajundaddy
Nice area. I have done quite a bit of diving off Cozumel, Tulum, and the cenotes Yucatan.

I have been playing quite a while and have used some 24f guitars but never felt the need to own one. All 8 of my guitars are 22f or less. Nothing up there I really want to play, and placing the neck PU exactly at the 2nd harmonic is a very sweet spot for tone which is why Fenders usually stop at 22f. That said I understand that we each want what we want...

Im glad you liked it man! Haha is great to hear good things about your country, feel free to return whenever you want haha and give a call, maybe you can help me with the guitar haha!

Nice man! well I gues I'm going to buy a PRS S2, I liked that antique white model... buy I'm not sure...
what about the Carvin Jason Becker?
Quote by Cajundaddy

Actually, that "2nd harmonic sweet spot for tone" is mythology that has pretty much been debunked long ago, and remember that it's the 2nd harmonic sweet spot (if it DID make a difference) only for an open string. That has nothing to do with why Fenders usually stop at the 22nd fret (remember that most early Fenders stopped at 21) and that wouldn't have crossed Leo's or even Les Paul's mind back when those guitars were conceived. That's pretty much like saying that the precise length of a Fender maple neck was chosen for its orientation with a geographic power spot.

There's a whole contingent that believes that "all the money is in the first five frets" anyway, and there's a persuasive school of thought that Les Pauls are a "darker" sounding instrument mostly because it's so uncomfortable to play one above the 16th fret due to the clunky neck heel with the body point that stabs you in the palm of the hand.

Remember that NONE of these "traditional" guitars was designed for the way we play today. Les Pauls routinely go out of tune because their headstocks and nuts were designed in the thirties (or before) for big archtop big band cannons with big strings and nobody did two-stop bends. It wasn't until people started stringing up the LPs with banjo strings that all that came about. Same with Fenders. "Vintage" 7.25" radii fretboards weren't designed for bending (you'll just fret out if you try doing that with low action down around the 16th fret of an old strat).

Gibson didn't make a 24-fret guitar until the L6-S of the early '70's. The SG wasn't designed to be a 24-fret guitar, but when they moved the humbucker rout to strengthen the neck join on the SG, players realized there was space for two more frets between the end of the neck and the neck humbucker. Suddenly, there were folks like Tony Iommi and Frank Zappa playing SGs with extra frets! Pretty much every set neck guitar that Carvin made beginning in the mid-70's was a 24-fret guitar, and that continues with the neck-throughs today. I have a VERY rare 22-fret neck-through built in 1991; I'd be surprised if there are even 100 of them out there. Every other Carvin I own has 24. It's only been relatively recently that 22 fret guitars have arrived at Carvin, and there's been so much demand for 24 frets on THOSE guitars (the carved-top series, for example) that most of them are now offered in 22 or 24 fret versions.

If you want to play something that an artist played on a 24-fret guitar, you may need to have a 24-fret guitar to duplicate it.
Quote by dspellman
Actually, that "2nd harmonic sweet spot for tone" is mythology that has pretty much been debunked long ago, and remember that it's the 2nd harmonic sweet spot (if it DID make a difference) only for an open string. That has nothing to do with why Fenders usually stop at the 22nd fret (remember that most early Fenders stopped at 21) and that wouldn't have crossed Leo's or even Les Paul's mind back when those guitars were conceived. That's pretty much like saying that the precise length of a Fender maple neck was chosen for its orientation with a geographic power spot.

Sorry, I'm no guitar build expert, just repeating what Les told me twenty years ago while chatting in the green room in Chicago. Maybe he was FOS but it sounded reasonable to me and I figured he knew a thing or two about guitar design.

For kicks and grins, now go check the location of your favorite Fender USA Tele, Strat, or popular Gibson model and note the location of the neck PU. Yep, directly under the 2nd harmonic. Hmmmm...

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 16, 2015,
Pretty interesting things in here...

I was wondering if the Carvin Jason Becker would fit my needs but... then I notice the floyd rose on it and well... I have nothing against floyds but sometimes I like to play on drop D or D tunning and that's a pain with that kind of bridge
CBS Era (1968-1974) Fender Telecaster without question
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Page 1 of 2