hey all, haven't played in little over a year and recently picked it up again and everything im playing sounds horrible and sloppy, any tips or courses to practice up again?
Um practice? But seriously that's impossible to answer without knowing exactly what you're doing wrong. Just make sure you're muting strings and cleanly fingerings the notes. I sound sloppy too when rusty and it might take me a day or two to get back I'm shape.
The biggest thing I find between periods of not practicing / playing for me is getting both my hands in sync with each other again. So aside from the obvious practice answer

I'd chime in and say, try doing more technical exercises & warm ups!
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
I like the exercises/lessons from guitarlesson.com, I too play on the sloppy side though. My solution? Embrace the slop. Not every guitarist is a technical shredder. Learn your strengths, weaknesses and make your own style. Of course practice and strive to improve all you can. But really, Kurt Cobain was sloppy as hell, he makes greatest player list all the time. Gavin Rosedale, sloppy. Tons of pros are actually sloppy. Some are technical beasts. Do what you do and have fun.
3 things

1 Practice

2 Practice

3 Practice
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Play piano.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln
Quote by Virgman
Play piano.

+1
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Nothing about good practice ever changes; you do the same things that anyone else should do but if you're lucky it should take lesd time because you've done it before.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's takes an awful lot of practice to completely kill the slop. Like, more practice than most anybody is willing to put in. You should be able to obtain a passable level of playing pretty easily though. Especially if blues/rock is your genre.
You think taking guitar lessons is still worth it with all the youtube videos there is... And how to choose a guitar teacher when you are from from a beginer
Quote by mikerockcity
You think taking guitar lessons is still worth it with all the youtube videos there is... And how to choose a guitar teacher when you are from from a beginer

I've never taken lessons but I think it's worth it with the right teacher.
That being said you don't need a teacher to get good at the guitar. Without knowing anything else it's hard to find a teacher that's any good without going on reputation.
Quote by mikerockcity

Absolutely. A teacher isn't just a repository of knowledge that they pour in to your brain, a good teacher will direct you, introduce you to new things, critique what you're doing wrong, tell you when you're doing something right, be a friend, be someone to jam with, and any number of other things that you literally cannot get from a video.

Not to say that you need a teacher to be good, or even great, but I know for a fact that if I could afford a teacher I would definitely be taking lessons, even after over a decade of playing.

Finding a good teacher... is difficult. It depends a lot on how you learn, the kind of people you get along with, what you want to learn, how much you can afford to pay... any number of things. I can tell you though that a really good teacher will not make you play like them, they will give you the tools and knowledge you need to find your own voice with the instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 22, 2015,