So I've been scratching my head over hundreds of guitars and none really holds up to my spec ideas. Or else, they are too ****ing expensive...

I know RAN Guitars have become more expensive than many years ago, but does the quality still hold up? I have seen some various opinions about this, but I can't find much about it either.

Still trying to decide with what to go with. Warmoth is a good alternative that I have used a couple of times, and I'm not new to setting up guitars myself, but having a 100% custom would be nice too...

The people I've seen buy RANs on sevenstring.org love the crap out of them. It still eludes me personally why anyone would spend more than 2 grand on any guitar period, but check out the dedicated RAN thread over on SSO and I'm sure people will tell you exactly why they love them and how the quality is.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/231896-ran-guitars-post-yours.html
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
The people I've seen buy RANs on sevenstring.org love the crap out of them. It still eludes me personally why anyone would spend more than 2 grand on any guitar period

People who want a custom guitar when Carvin is not a very viable option because of where they live.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
People who want a custom guitar when Carvin is not a very viable option because of where they live.

Exactly, I live in Sweden and Poland is quite close. Carvin doesn't seem to wanna sell stuff to Sweden, and also import costs will still make it too expensive to what you would pay for anyway. Which is the reason I don't do anymore Warmoth builds, the Swedish crown/US Dollar ratio has sky rocketed since a couple of years back...

Quote by TheStig1214
The people I've seen buy RANs on sevenstring.org love the crap out of them. It still eludes me personally why anyone would spend more than 2 grand on any guitar period, but check out the dedicated RAN thread over on SSO and I'm sure people will tell you exactly why they love them and how the quality is.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/231896-ran-guitars-post-yours.html

Yep, 2 grand (or 2000 euro, which is probably more like $2500) is pretty much my own limit for a guitar. And that is custom with my own specs.

I wouldn't pay more than 1500 euro (or $2000) for a really ****ing good production guitar, like a ESP Standard or something like that. But that line is ditched for that E-II which seems to not be as nice according to reports...
Quote by Uncovered
Exactly, I live in Sweden and Poland is quite close. Carvin doesn't seem to wanna sell stuff to Sweden, and also import costs will still make it too expensive to what you would pay for anyway. Which is the reason I don't do anymore Warmoth builds, the Swedish crown/US Dollar ratio has sky rocketed since a couple of years back...

Have you checked lately what a Carvin would cost you?
At the start of this month, Carvin went direct worldwide, apart from few countries, can't remember which, but Sweden wasn't one of them.

On thread, I don't know about RAN guitars, but I've tested several Mayones guitars and they're totally worth their price.. absolutely stunning guitars although they aren't real custom, 100% handmade guitars.. but hey, those would cost like 5 000 euros from a known brand.

Quote by Uncovered

I wouldn't pay more than 1500 euro (or $2000) for a really ****ing good production guitar, like a ESP Standard or something like that. But that line is ditched for that E-II which seems to not be as nice according to reports...

This is where you go for a mint used guitar
I got my UV (made in '99 Japan), with 2 visible dings and few scratches, for 1000 euros. AFAIK, they were near the 2000 euro mark brand new (not the Premiums, which aren't MIJ).

Also TS, if you want a 100% handmade guitar to your specs, try to find local builders, not the well-known ones, some "random" guys. They usually hang around guitar stores hunting for hardware and like. I did that, got myself a 6 string, got a friend in the process, never regretted it.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 15, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Carvin is semi custom not true custom. There are things they just will not do. Some examples are custom neck profiles, inlays, pickups, fanned frets, scale lengths. I do like carvin guitars but between the current exchange rate of the Canadian dollar and shipping/importing fees I would not consider getting one at the moment.

To be honest I don't know much about RAN guitars personally but I have never heard anything bad about them.
Quote by mhanbury2
Carvin is semi custom not true custom. There are things they just will not do.

I was already aware of this. The list of features you can choose to get with a Carvin are still pretty vast though. More than enough options for the needs of most players.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 15, 2015,
I just checked Carvin out again since they started selling worldwide..

One thing boggles my mind! There's a Floyd option that only costs $100. That can't be right? The Floyd Roses in their hardware section costs $200. I don't want any crappy licensed or FRT-2000/Floyd Rose Special shit, only OFR and GOTOH Floyd works (and I prefer the latter)
Email carvin and ask them.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Ok I will skip RAN and Carvin, and go for TWO Warmoth guitars instead. It's even cheaper combined than getting one RAN or Carvin. And I know Warmoth does great stuff and I know how to setup guitars so it's pretty much a nobrainer.

Getting parts for just one Warmoth guitar with import fees to Sweden is a bit steep, but adding parts for another one makes it quite worth it actually.
Quote by Uncovered
I just checked Carvin out again since they started selling worldwide..

One thing boggles my mind! There's a Floyd option that only costs $100. That can't be right? The Floyd Roses in their hardware section costs $200. I don't want any crappy licensed or FRT-2000/Floyd Rose Special shit, only OFR and GOTOH Floyd works (and I prefer the latter)

Every Carvin I own that has a Floyd has an OFR. Since Floyd has changed that to the FRO and has done OFRs sourced in Korea for large manufacturers (for the last six or seven years), I'd want to ask Carvin what they're actually using now. My last NEW Carvin purchase was about seven years ago.

They've always offered the Floyds as an option that costs LESS than buying the bridge standalone, because they're deleting the standard (fixed) bridge costs at the same time. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. Shouldn't boggle anyone's mind.

You're a bit out of touch regarding Floyds. There are actually no more "licensed" Floyds since the patents ran out several years ago, though there are people putting out identical bridges. Major manufacturers ("G" and "F" brand names, for example) are mostly getting the same Korean-sourced (two separate production lines) bridge made to Floyd's specs that were previously sold as OFRs. At that time, the Schaller-sourced German OFRs were reserved for very small manufacturers and for bubble-pack sales for the aftermarket.

Gotoh, of course, is an entirely different company, and very few manfacturers use them as OEM.
Quote by Uncovered
Ok I will skip RAN and Carvin, and go for TWO Warmoth guitars instead. It's even cheaper combined than getting one RAN or Carvin. And I know Warmoth does great stuff and I know how to setup guitars so it's pretty much a nobrainer.

Getting parts for just one Warmoth guitar with import fees to Sweden is a bit steep, but adding parts for another one makes it quite worth it actually.

Great, and good choice.

My only issues with Warmoth-sourced guitars is that it's nearly impossible to resell them for anything remotely like their original cost, leastways here in the US. There are so many badly assembled Warmoth guitars that most buyers are highly gunshy about buying them, and that includes those with accompanying claims of "assembled by a well-respected luthier," yada yada. Unfortunately, what's a no-brainer for you seems to be something else for others. I generally won't touch one.

I should note that I DO own a guitar made of Warmoth components, but I sourced those (a Jackson-esque neck and an explorer-ish body) from eBay at about 20% of the price of new (the components themselves were actually new in the box and never used) and put the guitar together myself.
Quote by dspellman
Every Carvin I own that has a Floyd has an OFR. Since Floyd has changed that to the FRO and has done OFRs sourced in Korea for large manufacturers (for the last six or seven years), I'd want to ask Carvin what they're actually using now. My last NEW Carvin purchase was about seven years ago.

They've always offered the Floyds as an option that costs LESS than buying the bridge standalone, because they're deleting the standard (fixed) bridge costs at the same time. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. Shouldn't boggle anyone's mind.

You're a bit out of touch regarding Floyds. There are actually no more "licensed" Floyds since the patents ran out several years ago, though there are people putting out identical bridges. Major manufacturers ("G" and "F" brand names, for example) are mostly getting the same Korean-sourced (two separate production lines) bridge made to Floyd's specs that were previously sold as OFRs. At that time, the Schaller-sourced German OFRs were reserved for very small manufacturers and for bubble-pack sales for the aftermarket.

Gotoh, of course, is an entirely different company, and very few manfacturers use them as OEM.

Ok NOW it makes sense, I didn't even think that they took away the fixed bridge cost when choosing the Floyd. But that's good to know! Still would have to ask the Carvin guys IF I some day decide to get one (those upsidedown Ultra Vs looks so ****ing awesome)

Yep, I know the patent is history, I am quite fanatic about Floyds and have never had any other floyds than (german) OFR and Gotoh. I wouldn't even buy a guitar with the korean FRT-1000, because it ****ing sucks. I've tried it a lot of times in music stores and friends guitars, and those things always go out of tune in a way that my bridges doesn't. I know people have good experience with the FRT-1000 series, but I dont.

The Gotoh Floyd is the best, hands down.

Quote by dspellman
Great, and good choice.

My only issues with Warmoth-sourced guitars is that it's nearly impossible to resell them for anything remotely like their original cost, leastways here in the US. There are so many badly assembled Warmoth guitars that most buyers are highly gunshy about buying them, and that includes those with accompanying claims of "assembled by a well-respected luthier," yada yada. Unfortunately, what's a no-brainer for you seems to be something else for others. I generally won't touch one.

I should note that I DO own a guitar made of Warmoth components, but I sourced those (a Jackson-esque neck and an explorer-ish body) from eBay at about 20% of the price of new (the components themselves were actually new in the box and never used) and put the guitar together myself.

Yup, I know that from my own experience. I've built 3 Warmoth guitars and only kept 1, and that one has had a new WM neck as well... So lots of "expensive" parts built and sold for a couple of swedish bucks. But that was because I didn't know what I wanted. Now I'm a spec fanatic and know everything from top to bottom what I want. So the next builds are definitely keepers, I know that.

Jackson-esque neck with Explorer body seems like a ****ing cool combo, but I've never seen it. Could you post a pic of it?