Hey, UG community!

First of all, I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask this. Admins(or any other person with such permission) please move my thread if the subforum is wrong.
I bought my first guitar about a year ago. Thus far it has served me well, I have learned the basics and even more. I started with punk and now I want to move to heavier music(Parkway Drive, Northlane etc). But the thing is, I can't get the "right sound". My guitar just sounds too soft. I experimented alot with the amp, but the results are still dissapointing. Is the problem in my strings(dont know the brand, guy at the store said they suit for standard tuning) or do I need to buy a new guitar(currently using: Les Paul Special II)? I dont know the exact model of the amp. I got the amp with the bundle I bought with the guitar, so I believe it is quite bad.
Any suggestions for me? Any advice?

-Joel
I think you answered your own question. You bought a starter pack to see if you could learn to play and now you have and want to progress. You might consider an upgrade starting with the amp.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Take your guitar to a music store and plug it into a different amp. Then plug it into all the other amps. Buy the best amp you can afford.
Thanks for the answer guys, you really helped me!
Yeah, I was pretty sure the problem was in my gear, but still wanted to hear opinions from experienced players before making possibly dumb purchase. I will try diferent amps too. Great idea!