So I was watching the trailer for "Child 44", which is set in the Soviet Union, and all the characters are speaking English in Russian accents. The implication is that they are actually speaking Russian, but it completely ruins the immersion.

Is anyone else bothered by this? If they're going to speak English, wouldn't it make more sense for them to have English accents?
idc. i don't even mind subtitles, so long as they're not too fast.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Unless the premise is that everyone in Russia decided to learn English.

It does bother me though. What bothers me more is when they actually implement proper languages but the speaking of those languages is done by actors with incredibly anglicized accents as if they've never been to the country that speaks the language they represent. I've heard a lot of complaints about this from Asian people talking about American movies, and I've noticed it myself whenever a hindi/urdu speaking actor is on screen.

Like, just get actors who can speak the language right. Sure, anglophone fans won't be able to tell the difference, but everyone else can.
I haven't heard a single good Russian accent come out of Hollywood in my life.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I think it's pretty patronising. They should either get Russian actors or don't bother with the accent at all. The assumption being that you wouldn't notice the native accent if they were speaking in their native language.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

here's the worst one

you have three people, A B and C. A only speaks english. C only speaks chinese. B is a translator
example:
A "i don't know what you're talking about"
C: "chinese words"
B: "translation of words into english"
A: "etc"

etc/

C can hear and understand english perfectly. but for whatever reason, he cannot speak it.

that is the worst.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
english accents doubling as historical accents is literally the worst thing about films set in the past hmu if you agree get out my face if no before i smack yr teacup outta yr hands lets go

Quote by sashki
Is anyone else bothered by this? If they're going to speak English, wouldn't it make more sense for them to have English accents?

hell naw.

^huu minty. i don't wanna hear some posh british shitwankery accent just because it's set in ancient times and shit. why the **** do they always do that with Greeks and Romans? give em Italian accents or something. jfc.

also genghis is heading for par with GG for worst opinions of all time.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Are you saying ancient Romans didn't have posh British accents.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It does bug me considerably, though I've only really started noticing it consciously since being in a relationship with a Russian girl. Watching a lot of older Russian feature films set in Spain or England or Germany, and they're all speaking Russian. It struck me as odd and made want want to be all like lol u think they actually spoke that language there...then it dawned on me that's the bullshit English features have been peddling for decades.
I'd liek subtitles like in Pan's Labyrinth.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.