Hi,

I recently purchased a used Hofner Analog Chorus. The stomp box looks brandnew, but I'm not really satisfied with the sound range it delivers.

The Chorus got two knobs. One for Rate, one for depth. This is what happens, when turning the knobs clockwise:

Rate at 0 + Depth at 0 = like true bypass, okay

Rate at 1 + Depth at 1 = chorus sound like "Come as you are" or "Nothing else matters"

Anything above "Rate at 1" creates a massive wobble effect, without any differences concerning the intensity from 2-24. Turning the depth knob doesn't seem to have any effect at all when turned above 1.
This means I can only switch between chorus and massive wobble. Didn't find any schematic of the chorus. Does anybody has an idea if this might be the real sound range of the Hofner Chorus?

Thanks in advance
IIRC those Hofners (Modtone/Rogue as well) are rebadged Belcat pedals (so I'd guess the Hofner Analog Chorus would be the same as the Belcat Analog chorus.) if you're looking for more info/schematics.

Anyway, rate controls the speed of the oscillation while depth controls how much the modulated signal goes out of pitch and returns IIRC. With that in mind, if you are running a high rate (making the oscillations faster) and a high depth setting (throwing the copied signal quite a bit out of tune before returning to pitch) what you're creating is a pretty intense, almost metallic sounding warbled effect. If you don't want it warbled don't run both your rate and depth at high settings simultaneously.

I'm sure somebody around here probably owns a Modtone/Rogue/Hofner/Belcat and can probably help you out a bit better. I probably cocked up explaining it anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Anyway, rate controls the speed of the oscillation while depth controls how much the modulated signal goes out of pitch and returns IIRC. With that in mind, if you are running a high rate (making the oscillations faster) and a high depth setting (throwing the copied signal quite a bit out of tune before returning to pitch) what you're creating is a pretty intense, almost metallic sounding warbled effect. If you don't want it warbled don't run both your rate and depth at high settings simultaneously.

That's exactly why I'm looking for help. I'm not running rate or depth at high settings (simultaneously). The wobbling sound starts when rate is really low and depth doesn't seem to have any effect on the intensity.

Regards,

Tobias
Quote by PrincessJoe
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

That's exactly why I'm looking for help. I'm not running rate or depth at high settings (simultaneously). The wobbling sound starts when rate is really low and depth doesn't seem to have any effect on the intensity.

Regards,

Tobias

That sounds kind of weird. Is the pedal new/did you buy it from a store or was it second hand?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That sounds kind of weird. Is the pedal new/did you buy it from a store or was it second hand?

Second hand. I talked to the previous owner who confirmed the limited sound range. But I don't think that Hofner designed two knobs to switch between "light chorus" and "extreme wobble". Therefore they've could have used an on-off switch.
Quote by PrincessJoe
Second hand. I talked to the previous owner who confirmed the limited sound range. But I don't think that Hofner designed two knobs to switch between "light chorus" and "extreme wobble". Therefore they've could have used an on-off switch.

Here's a few clips of the Hofner for reference. First video demo is from Hofner and the second video is a Modtone (because I'm assuming they would be the same pedal). When you set your own pedal's knobs to 12 o' clock, are you getting a similar amount of chorus compared to these videos?

Chorus starts @ 2:08

http://youtu.be/hpak3SjqfJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uj7x4m_EuY

If your unit is sounding drastically different compared to these I would think that the pedal is buggered.

I'm not really a pedal expert though so hopefully somebody else can chime in with more insight/a better way to diagnose the issue.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah there is absolutely no range on that thing and I really don't think that's normal for your hofner at all. I'm not too versed on the electrical side of pedals, but maybe one of the pots is muffed up or maybe something isn't wired up right.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster