Hi, I'm after a new guitar. Over the last 6 months I've gotten really into doom, bands like My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Swallow The Sun, Mortal Love, Theatre of Tragedy, Saturnus, November's Doom, Katatonia, etcetera.

Most of this stuff seems to be around C# tuning, and my Les Paul doesn't handle that very well because it's setup for E standard, and while my Gus G handles it well, I'd rather keep it in D tuning to play Firewind stuff, and it takes too long to retune with the floyd rose.

As a result, I'm looking for a new guitar. My budget is around £600 but can maybe be stretched a little. I'm not very much fussy about specifications, the guitar just needs to be up to quality with the rest of my guitars. I'm after a fixed bridge rather than a floyd rose however, since I will likely be mostly in C#, but tuning to C and D also.

I'm liking this guitar, it seems a strange choice for doom at first, but I love the shape, it's just like my Gus G, and it's actually very similar in spec to a Gibson, which are a traditional choice for doom metal. My local shop has one for £800 and I should be able to stretch the budget that much...

http://www.japan-discoveries.com/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=3750

Opinions? Thanks ;P
Used Gibson Gothic in your preferred shape. (Not Epiphone Goth.)

Honorable mention to the Gibson Menace (in your preferred shape).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 15, 2015,
Just to put a close to this thread, I bought the Edwards Crying Star and setup my Les Paul for C tuning with some 0.12s and I'll probably drop a Slug in on the bridge or something. I'll do an NGD on the Crying Star tomorrow.