I've recently been learning my first solo, and some parts of it require a bunch of quick hammer ons and pull offs from 12th to 15th. I'm obviously using my 1st finger on 12th, but I'm not sure whether I'm still supposed to use my 4th finger for the 15th or not.

It feels way easier using my 3rd finger for those parts, as it is stronger, but I would rather avoid building up horrible technique that will make playing harder in the future. So, is it fine to use my 3rd finger when playing solos, or would it be best to just make myself use my 4th finger? Thanks.
Use your pinky. The longer you neglect it the worse off you'll be.
you can do it either way but working on the pinky is to your benifit. think of it this way what your next note is may determine whether to use the pinky or not. say the next note is 14 on the B string in that case it will be quicker to use the 3rd finger to fret it rathe than having the 3rd finger have to come off the 15 and move up a string to the 14. the farther up the neck you go using the 3rd finger just makes more sense as your fingers get cramped together especially once you get past the 15th fret. learn to do both ways and then use common sense to dictate which way to go in any given situation
Quote by vayne92
Use your pinky. The longer you neglect it the worse off you'll be.

Quote by monwobobbo
you can do it either way but working on the pinky is to your benifit. think of it this way what your next note is may determine whether to use the pinky or not. say the next note is 14 on the B string in that case it will be quicker to use the 3rd finger to fret it rathe than having the 3rd finger have to come off the 15 and move up a string to the 14. the farther up the neck you go using the 3rd finger just makes more sense as your fingers get cramped together especially once you get past the 15th fret. learn to do both ways and then use common sense to dictate which way to go in any given situation

So basically, I can play it however, but for now I should use the pinky so it doesn't fall behind. Right, that makes sense to me. Thanks.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Apr 15, 2015,
don't neglect your pinky.

at the same time if it's easier use your third (at least if you're playing in front of people). i can use my pinky more or less ok but generally use my third given the option.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Practice your pinky but as you a advance, you'll not want to get in the habit of using your pinky when you should instead use your ring. This comes into play when playing licks that require wider stretches that you need to stretch your pinky out and therefore use your ring in its place.
^ good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The darn pinky. Bane of all guitar players over the world.
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues