i am just curious as to how much you generally spend on a guitar. new or used, just what you generally like for price range.

most of my stuff is in the $1200-$2000 new range, bought used for less. most of what i go for are prestige ibanez and mid ranged gibsons, and higher end USA fenders. i like a variety of guitars, and i find myself very happy with guitars in that range. i have a lot of guitars (23 electrics and five classicals), and honestly i would rather have more mid to mid-high end guitars (what i concider $1200-$2000) than one high end guitar they play well for me and i am happy with them.

just curious, to see what people do/like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So far, up to $600. I'd go up $900, but beyond that I'd have a hard time justifying it to myself, as much as I would love to have a US-made guitar.
2500 on average but thats counting like 500 dollar guitars and 4000 guitars.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i don't really have one. grew up kinda poor and learned the fine art of wheeling and dealing. one of the things i learned was to look for deals especially ones that weren't obvious. i think so far the most cash money i've spent on a guitar was $400 (of course $3-400 back in the 80s is different than now). can't say i have any particular brands that i gravitate towards as that seems to change as i go along. i look for the best guitar i can afford and things like what it went for new are secondary considerations. does the guitar suite my needs is way more important. for instance i bought a Squier Esprit (Robben Ford) for $150 from guitar center, 2 years later i traded it back in to them for $250 (they turned out to be collectable).

currently i'm a strat guy but still need humbuckers as well. the last 2 guitars i bought were both $299 from GC. 95 MIM strat that had a ton of mods (lsr roller nut, sperzel locking tuners, graphtech saddles, steel block not sure about the pickups) and a BC Rich NJ classic series Eagle (these were only made for one year, neck thru with ebony fingerboard) both excellent guitars that far surpass the price tag.
Quote by AcousticMirror
2500 on average but thats counting like 500 dollar guitars and 4000 guitars.

don't get me wrong, i like some of the higher end guitars, i have played two suhrs, and a ton anderson, and a caprison, and a bunch of higher end gibson and PRS but i can't justify the money. i am more of a bargain person though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
don't get me wrong, i like some of the higher end guitars, i have played two suhrs, and a ton anderson, and a caprison, and a bunch of higher end gibson and PRS but i can't justify the money. i am more of a bargain person though.

who doesn't. i see guitars all the time that go for big money but i just don't have it to spend. if i were in a band that was actually making semi-real money then maybe right now just can't justify it either. this of course isn't a reflection on the guitars just my wallet. since you can find guitars that will do the job as well (or at least nearly as well) i'll stick with those for now
Quote by monwobobbo
i don't really have one. grew up kinda poor and learned the fine art of wheeling and dealing. one of the things i learned was to look for deals especially ones that weren't obvious. i think so far the most cash money i've spent on a guitar was $400 (of course $3-400 back in the 80s is different than now). can't say i have any particular brands that i gravitate towards as that seems to change as i go along. i look for the best guitar i can afford and things like what it went for new are secondary considerations. does the guitar suite my needs is way more important. for instance i bought a Squier Esprit (Robben Ford) for $150 from guitar center, 2 years later i traded it back in to them for $250 (they turned out to be collectable).

currently i'm a strat guy but still need humbuckers as well. the last 2 guitars i bought were both $299 from GC. 95 MIM strat that had a ton of mods (lsr roller nut, sperzel locking tuners, graphtech saddles, steel block not sure about the pickups) and a BC Rich NJ classic series Eagle (these were only made for one year, neck thru with ebony fingerboard) both excellent guitars that far surpass the price tag.

i am definitely a person who does wheeling and dealing as well. i paid $380 for a 2570evsl ibanez prestige, and under $700 for a NOS 3550MZ. i really like my 52AVRI tele, but i paid $1050 for it shipped to my door. its magical though . i also have two Gibson SG's, one i had $250 into, what i traded for it. the other was pretty rare (series of 400 produced) i have $400 into it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by monwobobbo
who doesn't. i see guitars all the time that go for big money but i just don't have it to spend. if i were in a band that was actually making semi-real money then maybe right now just can't justify it wither. this of course isn't a reflection on the guitars just my wallet. since you can find guitars that will do the job as well (or at least nearly as well) i'll stick with those for now

the one high dollar guitar that really struck me was the caparison. ****ing sweet, (but different) but i am perfectly fine with my ibanez prestiges for superstrats. if i really wanted one i could swing it, but i would rather have a pair of ibanez prestiges for the money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Ya i really wouldn't spend that much money on a guitar new anymore I don't think.
The only two guitars I personally purchased new were my PRS and my anderson 7 string. The prs my favorite guitar ever and if I could only have one guitar I guess I would be fine saving up and buying only that one.

the anderson 7 was probably a mistake.

From all the crap I've played over the last few years...I'd say my informed opinion is that a standard non-special guitar is gonna top out at 2k. After that you are either paying for something that only looks nice or for some weird special shit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the one high dollar guitar that really struck me was the caparison. ****ing sweet, (but different) but i am perfectly fine with my ibanez prestiges for superstrats. if i really wanted one i could swing it, but i would rather have a pair of ibanez prestiges for the money.

well i'd like a vintage BC Rich Eagle and either a Mockingbird or a Bich as well as a Custom Shop strat and a 61 spec SG. there are a couple of Hamer's i'd like as well. as you said though for what i'd have to spend on those i could probably get a bunch of guitars that would work just fine for me ( i have a 61 spec SG just not a gibson)
My acoustics range from a $200 Yamaha classical to a $1500 thinline Jon Kammerer. Looking at them all, the average price is $725.

My electrics range from a $450 Reverend Roundhouse to a few guitars in the $3500 range. Most are in the $800-1200 range. Part of that is because I have gotten some really good deals on my higher-end used purchases, part is because I have found some really good new guitars in that range. (Those who know me know what I'm talkin' 'bout.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 16, 2015,
Quote by AcousticMirror
Ya i really wouldn't spend that much money on a guitar new anymore I don't think.
The only two guitars I personally purchased new were my PRS and my anderson 7 string. The prs my favorite guitar ever and if I could only have one guitar I guess I would be fine saving up and buying only that one.

the anderson 7 was probably a mistake.

From all the crap I've played over the last few years...I'd say my informed opinion is that a standard non-special guitar is gonna top out at 2k. After that you are either paying for something that only looks nice or for some weird special shit.

+ infinity. wise words.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
These days, about a 1000 bucks.

I've paid more, I've paid less. 1000 is just an average.

Some guitars are just stupidly priced and its glaringly obvious that its because the manufacturers know they can get away with it, and not because the guitars are actually better made. I go used for all of my gear these days.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 16, 2015,
Have stuff from £400 up to £1600. Most were around £1000. Currently owning 15 electrics.

I've found the Fender American Standard Series to be the point I orient through - paying more gives me benefits I often feel unnecessary and less often results in noticeable compromises in quality.

That said, I'm considering getting Epiphones and the like just for the fun of it.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
It really depends on how much I like a particular piece of gear. I do like to get the best deal possible on gear though. I have 3 kids so I don't have a huge disposable income.

The most I have ever spent on a single guitar was $1425 and that was when I bought my PRS back in '04. But I gig $200-$300 guitars and don't have issues either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
:P In terms of what I most commonly use + the cost for the mod's I've done..I'm averaging $1.2k?
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Mostly around 1k, but just spent 2.5k on one.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Had everything from £150 to £2000 over the years.I can honestly say that i am now happier with my guitars than ever before.The two i play now are less than 1K(one at £300 and one at £600) but i love them.I've had a bad time with Gibson over the years,Only Gibson that ever lasted me a while and was solid enough for gigs over a couple of years was an SG Std.Had some (old)Squier Strats,Fenders,Ibanez,PRS,Epiphone new and old.I find you can get a very good guitar in many different price ranges including low and also bad ones in the upper mid(£2000) price range.I've never owned anything high end like Gibson custom shop,Or Suhr standards.One day i will.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Apr 16, 2015,
For me it really depends on what I am after. I generally buy used, I actually got my SG standard for $400, but I generally feel comfortable buying used for around $1000. That being said, I know you can easily find very high quality Ibbys for under $500. So I try to be somewhat budget minded. Right now I am looking for a cheaper Ibby to throw some actives in (because I have them laying around).
I always lean towards being within budget, whatever that might be at the time.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Usually about 800-1200 bucks but I splurge sometimes...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
$400-$600 is a sweet spot for me in gig quality gear. Most of my primary live gear is USA Fender/Gibson/Mesa and was bought used in that range. Looks good, plays well, and if it gets lost, damaged, or stolen it's not the end of the world. I have never spent more than $1k on guitar or amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 16, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am just curious as to how much you generally spend on a guitar. new or used, just what you generally like for price range.

I've purchased guitars for $75 and for $5800 and nearly swapped a $250K vintage car for an original '59 Burst at Rumble Seat about five years ago. The car's now worth double that, the Burst sold for less than that, and I don't think the Les Paul is going to increase in value anywhere near where the car is going.

Most recent purchases (January) were a used Agile AD-2300 (about $130 plus shipping) that was a spectacular buy and a new Variax JTV-89F ($1199 plus tax less a 20% discount from GC and a $150 rebate from Line 6) as a backup for my other JTV-89F.
Last year was mostly about keyboards; a Korg Kronos X, a big heavy AX-90 stand for two keys and a whole bunch of ancillary gear for it.

Last Gibson was a '70's L6S (around $800 used) and before that was a $4K Axcess Custom (new), about six years ago. I'm looking at a Trussart Steelphonic in Rust and Cream Snakeskin. In the $5K range.