I would like to hear how my metal rhythm tone sits in a mix , but I neither have a bass guitar , nor do i know any bassist at the moment ... could anyone help by sending me a bass DI sound file to go with this simple riff ?

also could you please leave comments and suggestions as to how the tone is , and whether it could be made better ?

(The tone was made using guitar rig 5 , never used it on a metal tone before as i always use the lepou stuff )
Quote by jaspervdv
yeah sure i could record a bass DI for you.
What did you play with guitar? (i'm a lazy and bad at hearing stuff)

nothing too special , four power-chords (in drop D) (with a slight bend on the 1-1-1 and 3-3-3) :-

(130 bpm)

----------------------------------------------------
0-0-0-0-1----0-0-0-0-3----0-0-0-0-4--4--4-

(4 times)

and thanks a lot for helping me out
Last edited by NRG_sama_ at Apr 16, 2015,
well, it needs some work,
it doesn't feel like the guitar and bass are one. they seem to far apart.
Try maybe duplicating the track and put a low pass filter on one and a high pass filter one on the other and then distort the one with the high pass filter (distort it REALLY ugly).
Turn the distortion off when the bass plays without the guitars though

The drum is turned too far down for my taste
and the intro with the bass alone seem kind off weird and out of place.
(the left panning to right isn't timed really tight, redo that)

And that reverb thingy? don't do that so loud.
you're using it to blend the guitar in the mix, not as fx (I hope).
If it blends nicely in the mix without reverb (or any other effect) just don't use it.
the less effects used the easier it is to find you're way in your session.

and maybe use a little bit of chorus, to make the guitars a bit less dry (if necessary).
Quote by jaspervdv
well, it needs some work,
it doesn't feel like the guitar and bass are one. they seem to far apart.
Try maybe duplicating the track and put a low pass filter on one and a high pass filter one on the other and then distort the one with the high pass filter (distort it REALLY ugly).
Turn the distortion off when the bass plays without the guitars though

The drum is turned too far down for my taste
and the intro with the bass alone seem kind off weird and out of place.
(the left panning to right isn't timed really tight, redo that)

And that reverb thingy? don't do that so loud.
you're using it to blend the guitar in the mix, not as fx (I hope).
If it blends nicely in the mix without reverb (or any other effect) just don't use it.
the less effects used the easier it is to find you're way in your session.

and maybe use a little bit of chorus, to make the guitars a bit less dry (if necessary).

thanks for all the useful suggestions

I'll keep those in mind when i do my next mix

(the intro left to right and bass alone was just to show the individual tones though )

thanks a lot
Remove reverb from guitars. It sounds shitty. Metal guitars have to be tight and in your face, not filled with mud and sounding distant.

You could also try the advice jaspervdv gave you about duplicating bass track and using one for creating distorted mids and highs, and other one for clean bass. It can sound brutal yet tight and controlled, which is why lots of people like this technique.

I usually EQ bass DIs a lot after I distort them, I like boosting hi mids and/or highs, it gives you great clanky sound and cuts through the mix a lot easier, also I like to cut the mids a bit so the bass can gel with the guitars better and it doesn't eat up so much space.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Remove reverb from guitars. It sounds shitty. Metal guitars have to be tight and in your face, not filled with mud and sounding distant.

You could also try the advice jaspervdv gave you about duplicating bass track and using one for creating distorted mids and highs, and other one for clean bass. It can sound brutal yet tight and controlled, which is why lots of people like this technique.

I usually EQ bass DIs a lot after I distort them, I like boosting hi mids and/or highs, it gives you great clanky sound and cuts through the mix a lot easier, also I like to cut the mids a bit so the bass can gel with the guitars better and it doesn't eat up so much space.

thanks a lot

i never use reverb on rhythm guitars , but felt like experimenting a bit...turns out nobody likes it ..

and yeah i'll definitely follow the bass tone advice

thanks for the feedback