Hi fellow forum geeks,

A couple of weeks ago I got back from Guitar Candy (little shop with INCREADIBLE equipment in Belgium) with...

... another amp. God knows what I do with all of my amps, but I couldn't resist, as this truly is the most impressive piece of engineering in amp world I played so far.

I'm talking about this new mofo: Engl Invader II with built in Z16 mod.
The cool and innovative thing about this amp is the Z16 mod. It allows you to tweek (cut or boost) for each channel AND each modus per channel (high/low gain setting, sound on/off) 6 different aspects on the amp cirquit. Scroll down a bit and take a look at the pictures below if it's not clear at this point yet. Add that to the 4 channels (each channel has 4 different modi) and the 4 seperate EQ's and 2 FX loops, and you already get the picture: you can create almost ANY sound with this amp.

Now about the amp itself. It's obviously based on the Invader I (which already was one of my favorite Engl amps). Very nice clean channel, although I personally prefer the cleans of my VH4, which are a little less colored, more neutral/HiFi sounding. This is only from first impressions, because I didn't really buy this for the clean channel. Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY nice clean channel, I just personally prefer my Diezel.
Second clean channel (lets call it crunch) is superb. From warm bluesy almost clean tones in low gain modus to spanking hard and very direct (like the notes get whipped right into your face) ACDC-esque sounds up to even NWOBHM tones in high gain modus. I'd definatly use that channel to play Maiden and Priest stuff, even the early metallica stuff and Annihilator tunes. You can surely choose for the 3rd channel for these things too, but I wouldn't. That second channel is just so in your face and tight, holy crap!
3rd channel is a lot more modern voiced, and has quite some grit and dirt in it's gain voicing. Good for Machine Head/Mastodon/slipknot/Lamb of god/Grip inc kind of tones. The low end is clearly less tight than at the second and forth channel. I do prefer the 3rd channel on the VH4 though, but then again, nothing is better than 3rd channel of the VH4 (yet lol)

Or is it?
Kick the Invader II into it's 4th channel in high gain mode, turn back the gain knob until you reach a level between 9 and 10 'o clockset the highs at 1 'o clock, mids around 12 and bass at 10-11 o'clock (a bit like it was photographed in the second pic) and I'll promiss you your jaws will drop like they never dropped before. The tightness, the clarity, the fast note tracking, the oomph in your guts, really, you have to test it to believe it. This will become my setting for my riffing.

How to get a boost for solo's? 2 master volumes YAY!!! Kick it in the second master volume and you'll can set the boost of volume for yourself.

Great little feature at the back:
As you will have noticed with many other amps that have several voicings of gain stages per channel, that there might be a huge difference in volume if you switch between the two settings. Engl now implemented 4 volume level knobs at the back which control the level of volume between the low and high gain settings for each channel. How great is that?

Enough talk, it's time to drool!

With the family:
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Apr 16, 2015,
Holy shit that's quite epic.

I'd kill to have half the gear you have. HNAD! I bet that ENGL is amazing
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, many people say to me: I wish I had a guitar or amp like that. How can you afford it?

My secret is...

... work, save (it's not that I earn a lot lol), don't by a 600$ smartphone or tablet, don't buy a fancy car, don't go on snow vacation, don't buy an expensive computer or laptop, don't buy videogames or consoles, don't buy expensive clothes, and then it really isn't that hard to get all that you want
Just CHOOSE your luxury. Pick one, but don't be sad that you don't have the rest. Look at that one thing you got and be proud
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You like it better then the diezel?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
...that Bandit!

Congrats on the new Engl
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Yes I do. Both amps are godly, but for my taste I like the Invader II better. People might disagree though, but I'm thinking of selling the VH4 since I bought the Invader II.

To add something: The invader II is a real improvement to the first one. Not that you should a totally different amp, but certainly on the overdrive channels 2, 3, 4 it sounds fuller. Like there is more sound, more body to it. I'd even dare to say that this is probably the best amp Engl EVER made.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Well, many people say to me: I wish I had a guitar or amp like that. How can you afford it?

My secret is...

... work, save (it's not that I earn a lot lol), don't by a 600$ smartphone or tablet, don't buy a fancy car, don't go on snow vacation, don't buy an expensive computer or laptop, don't buy videogames or consoles, don't buy expensive clothes, and then it really isn't that hard to get all that you want
Just CHOOSE your luxury. Pick one, but don't be sad that you don't have the rest. Look at that one thing you got and be proud

I was just saying it cause you have nice gear. I don't think it's a saying meant to be taken literally.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by LP_CL

My secret is...

Easy to say when you're not living paycheck to paycheck
Don't mean to be a dick though

HNAD!
Sweet rig man
Quote by The Judist
...that Bandit!

Congrats on the new Engl

I really like that amp!

Funny thing is, I bought this one 3 months ago. I had one back when I was starting out playing guitar, and have always been impressed with it. I eventually sold it because I had a 5150 and a rockerverb, but many years later I really wanted a smaller amp that I could easily put in my room on the second floor to practice. I can't put my big amps up there as I need to load and unload them quite a lot for practices and gigs, and I don't want to have to haul them 2 floors up and down each time to get them. So I leave the big amps downstairs.
So I needed a practice amp again and decided to test the bandit again. It still surprised me on how good the tones were coming out of it. Don't use the modern voicing on the overdrive channel EVER. Even for the most brutal metal, use the high gain setting, and tweek from there. AMAZING little amp, and it only set me back 100€ second hand.
I'd by this amp any day again. Simply love it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by darkwolf291
Easy to say when you're not living paycheck to paycheck
Don't mean to be a dick though

HNAD!
Sweet rig man

If I would have 1 job, I would too. I'm working 2 jobs, of which 1 is part time.
Don't mean to be a dick though, but if you really want something, make choices and get it. Nothing is impossible.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Congrats!

Quote by LP_CL
Yes I do. Both amps are godly, but for my taste I like the Invader II better. People might disagree though, but I'm thinking of selling the VH4 since I bought the Invader II.

To add something: The invader II is a real improvement to the first one. Not that you should a totally different amp, but certainly on the overdrive channels 2, 3, 4 it sounds fuller. Like there is more sound, more body to it. I'd even dare to say that this is probably the best amp Engl EVER made.

Until a few weeks ago, I thought that was the unthinkable. Now I miss Channel 3.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I was just saying it cause you have nice gear. I don't think it's a saying meant to be taken literally.

Oh I know nobody here is intending any envy, but I was referring to people I know or meet in real life. Many people come ask me about my gear and how the **** I can affort all of this at my 30 years of age, and that is the answer I always give them
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Ippon
Congrats!

Until a few weeks ago, I thought that was the unthinkable. Now I miss Channel 3.

I know, but to be honest, CH3 is the only thing keeping it at my place at this moment. And like I said, ch2/ch4 on the invader is mindblowingly good too. Different, but just as orgasmic.

It's that "different" part I'm worrying about. What if some day, I want the other side of "different" back??

Oh noes!! Let's keep it all!!

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Agree with having multiple jobs + postponing gratification to get what one really needs.

Quote by LP_CL
I know, but to be honest, CH3 is the only thing keeping it at my place at this moment. And like I said, ch2/ch4 on the invader is mindblowingly good too. Different, but just as orgasmic.

It's that "different" part I'm worrying about. What if some day, I want the other side of "different" back??

Oh noes!! Let's keep it all!!

I had the SE670 briefly but didn't bond with it (too much tweaking) but now I need to try ENGL again.

The VH4 is so easy to dial and the wicked Channel 3 is the biggest draw. People hardly mention its Clean but it's very nice. I know I'll own one again.
Last edited by Ippon at Apr 16, 2015,
Its about time somebody on here got an Invader II and is showing it off. Congrats man. Im still using a V1 Engl Powerball and I really love it. I wish I could compare the two in person. Thats a great lookin amp
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Its about time somebody on here got an Invader II and is showing it off. Congrats man. Im still using a V1 Engl Powerball and I really love it. I wish I could compare the two in person. Thats a great lookin amp

What, you mean I'm to only one in here? Seriously?

Everybody, quickly sell your amps and buy Invader II 's!!! haha
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Ippon
Agree with having multiple jobs + postponing gratification to get what one really needs.

Oh and don't get kids. Little money dispensing buggers :p
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Everybody, quickly sell your amps and buy Invader II 's!!! haha

Don't tempt me!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Ippon
Clips! ToneFinder doesn't have any for the II.

I haven't got any recording gear :'(
Ola should test this one though... Thoroughly :p
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I haven't got any recording gear :'(
Ola should test this one though... Thoroughly :p

You mean you have all them wicked amps and you don't even have a measly focusrite 2i2 and an SM57?

Get on that ASAP
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You mean you have all them wicked amps and you don't even have a measly focusrite 2i2 and an SM57?

Get on that ASAP

I know It's fking dumb.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I know It's fking dumb.

It won't run you much. You should grab 'em next pay check.

I'm probably going to be upgrading to a Scarlett soon since I'm running junkier stuff now.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by LP_CL

i wish my kids dispensed money.

they just dispense buggers so far.

nice amp, next time try to find one with more controls.
Quote by gregs1020
i wish my kids dispensed money.

they just dispense buggers so far.

nice amp, next time try to find one with more controls.

Haha, crap you're right, I ment money wasting buggers.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

yes it does take a little longer to get what you want .... but I'm planning on staying at one of my kids house the last 20 years of my life for a pay back ... is that too much to ask ??
Quote by Fumble fingers
yes it does take a little longer to get what you want .... but I'm planning on staying at one of my kids house the last 20 years of my life for a pay back ... is that too much to ask ??

I have that plan too, just not yet. Maybe in a year or two-three.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Congrats dude!

I think the last time you were in here it was to post a NAD

Looks amazing. Great review too. Now get something on top of that cab before you have black circles all over the top of it.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Get on that ASAP

+311
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude!

I think the last time you were in here it was to post a NAD

Looks amazing. Great review too. Now get something on top of that cab before you have black circles all over the top of it.

+311

Thx, and I don't mind the black circles. It's part of using your gear.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Love that attitude

But but but....how do you gig and such and no record

Come on man. If I can do it - you can do it

I give Ippon shit all the time regarding this

I just enjoy rehearsing and playing live. I don't really feel the urge to record everything I play.

You mean Ippon didn't have recording gear either?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl