General discussion of space exploration (NASA, the ISS, ESA, etc.) and aerospace. Currently a 1 year crew is stationed on the ISS, NASA is building a theoretically Mars-capable rocket, Spacex is gearing up for the Falcon-9 heavy, India recently started their own space program, Virgin is still working on their spaceplanes, so there's lots of untersting stuff to discuss. Please read pit rules first and stay on topic.
I like it when a girls thighs are thick enough that there's no space in between her legs
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I've considered space exploration quite a bit, and the conclusion I've come to is this:

Relativity, Biology, Economics, etc., etc. make the dream of galactic colonization - as we have envisioned it in most of our pop-culture sci-fi books and movies - flat out impossible, or at least so damned expensive it's just simply not going to happen. Ever.

Okay, okay. That's pessimistic.

Well, that's not to say it won't happen. In fact I think it will probably have to, BUT any effort to reach beyond the stellar neighborhood, and perhaps the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, are going to require a generational effort in addition to some evolutionary changes within our own species.

Long story short we will colonize the galaxy, but the "we" to which I am referring would be largely unrecognizable to ourselves today, much like a modern human would appear as a strange alien to a hunter-gatherer homo sapiens a million years ago.

Think about how different we are already! Genetically, culturally..

Among the things that will have to change:

- Life span will need to reach several times further out in time then our 85 years of today
- Our muscle and skeletal structure will need to get MUCH more compact
- Our endocrine systems will need to carry significantly less testosterone then they do..

..on that note, the testosterone: What has served us so well for so many thousand years, running fast and being competitive, hurling rocks around, dominating our enemies, etc., etc., these are the very traits that plague us as a global species.

Napoleons are not going to last much longer on this planet. That trait, if it is not selected out somehow, will kill us.

Greed will kill us. Pride will kill us. Fear will kill us.

These traits are more than "sins" or personality flaws, they are biochemical in origin!

Why have dogs been so successful in co-evolving with humans?

They're cute, cuddly, obedient, patient, tolerant, docile, on and on and on.. all traits we belittle and mock, yet value greatly.

What are those valued traits? What makes a good dog?

It's the right mix of biochemicals. Right now we have the wrong mix, but that mix will change over time to meet the coming needs.
Last edited by HorrorfaN at Apr 16, 2015,
Horrorfan, space exploration or at least mining will become economically feasible pretty quickly if we would find rare earth minerals/elements on some planet or asteroid.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Horrorfan, space exploration or at least mining will become economically feasible pretty quickly if we would find rare earth minerals/elements on some planet or asteroid.

Agreed, but reaching the moon or a Near-Earth Asteroid (NEA) is doable for a relatively rich country, NOW.

India will probably do that in a couple of decades.

China absolutely will.

Reaching another star is orders of magnitude more difficult, more complicated.
Quote by HorrorfaN
Agreed, but reaching the moon or a Near-Earth Asteroid (NEA) is doable for a relatively rich country, NOW.

India will probably do that in a couple of decades.

China absolutely will.

Reaching another star is orders of magnitude more difficult, more complicated.

Oh sure, I have no illusions that we will build a permanent basis in our solar system any time soon, let alone one outside the solar system.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard

It would be great if it would **** up the supply-side here. You really don't want to extract rare earth elements on earth believe me, just ask China. And we could use a lot more than we are extracting atm.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Apr 16, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
It would be great if it would **** up the supply-side here. You really don't want to extract rare earth elements on earth believe me, just ask China. And we could use a lot more than we are extracting atm.

You need to get an admin to change your name to Ultimate Evil11 or something, 'Neo' just doesnt do it enough for you
Quote by Fat Lard
You need to get an admin to change your name to Ultimate Evil11 or something, 'Neo' just doesnt do it enough for you

I am evil cause I don't want the massive pollution that comes with extracting rare earth elements?

guess what that massive lake is filled with? better pollute the moon than earth.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard
> self-justified hippie BS
> create 41-lightyear away planet barrier to entry

wut?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
my grandfather helped develop the tiles.

do i win the thread?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Neo Evil11

They are already there, and it's been pretty well known for quite some time.

Further, we have the technology to go get it. Today.

What we don't have is the will. Asteroid mining is a long term project, and we are too busy with short term gains to bother.

I've got a very good treatise written by J.E. Pournelle around here somewhere. I'll find it and send it on if you're interested.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Please send. I know we know there are some on the moon, didn't know we found them o asteroids as well.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Please send. I know we know there are some on the moon, didn't know we found them o asteroids as well.

PM me an address to send it to. It's an excerpt from a book called "A Step Farther Out" which was originally published in 1984 (IIRC?) and has been updated 5 times since then, but the data and the math are excellent.

The excerpt actually addresses a few more items than just Asteroid mining, but I thought you might enjoy it all.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
PM sent. Which reminds me that I still have to kick in some doors to get an actual computer account in my new department. Still working on a guest one.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ