Hey gang, after doing 200 takes on my new song, I finally found a handful that were decent. But now when I'm going back And critiquing them, I have noticed a vibrating ringing going on that makes it hard to distinguish the separate notes. I sent this clip to a local music shop, and they said they couldn't hear anything and told me to bring it in. You can hear it in person, but it's much more prominent in recording.

anybody know how to fix this? Here's a clip where you can hear it.

Test clip

I've just spent so much time recording, and writing this song, and it's my best song out of all the new songs, and also the first one I'll be putting out, so I need to make sure it's as good as it can be and doesn't sound jank. I need to leave the best impression I can.
Last edited by shibby12 at Apr 16, 2015,
On my work PC, I only hear fresh string harmonics, I'll check again on my monitors at home tonight and see if something else pops out to me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
ok thanks. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I thought the recordings sounded great but then I listened to them on my computer, and I noticed it. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. There's just an over bearing resonance, a constant note being rung and echoed while I play. So I went back to look at my old recordings in my living room, instead of my bedroom, with my different video camera. And even those have it as well. So it's not anything in the room vibrating. I hoped it was. Well if you guys think it sounds fine, then I guess I am good. But it bugs the hell out of me personally and I would like to know what I could do to make it better. Of course it doesn't happen when I strum. Just during that main riff because all the notes are separate and there's nothing muting the notes.

I'm serious when I put this song up, I'm going to promote it heavily and want it to go viral, to an extent.
It was recorded with the Zoom Q4.
It's called December Forever. The lyrics are in the lyrics section on these forums.
Last edited by shibby12 at Apr 16, 2015,
Heard the ringing at the very end, sounds like some weird resonance that's most likely in your room. Try recording this is a different (larger, maybe?) room and see if it's still there.

It's HARDLY distracting, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
How new is the guitar, and how fresh are the strings?
If they aren't sitting in the bridge or nut quite comfortably yet (i.e. a new bridge or nut, or fresh strings that are out of line with where the old set was) then you'll get some odd jangling. Best thing to do in this case is just play it in until they settle and the sound stops.

That aside, as is common with acoustic instruments; anything from violins to double basses to guitars, it could just be "wolf tones". Sadly, this is just something that is inevitable with resonating instruments and short of doing some very tricky physical dampening within the body of the guitar, you'll have to rely on EQ when recording to get rid of them
like I said, I went back and listened to my earlier recordings with a different camera, which were in a different room, and also with old strings, and it made the sound as well. Would anybody be willing to try out EQ for me? Or maybe I could. Would doing EQ after the recording be ok? I would prefer to not have to record again because it would probably be a hundred takes before I get a good one. maybe it's the strings? I'm using regular elixirs lightgate I think. Maybe I need to go heavier. It's a Taylor guitar that is a year and a half old. Its a 110. If I went to the 300 series, do you think it would be better? Grr. maybe most people won't even notice it. I don't know. I definitely notice it. But interestingly enough, I never noticed it until it later. It just seems to take over the whole song to me
After this thread, I listened closely to the $4k Gibson J-45 I'm borrowing and hear slight ringing at the headstock. It's just overtones from the tops of your strings.

Honestly, I say don't worry about it, it's a natural sound from your instrument.

However if you'd like to EQ it, doing so after tracking is perfectly normal, if not THE norm. Give it a shot and see what happens. If you DO want to re-record, then tie some cloth above the nut and it will get rid of the ringing.

Side note: if it takes you 100 takes to get a song recorded, you should probably practice it a bit more before even turning on your mics.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
it's definitely not natural. Its loud and annoying and embarrassing. What the hell do I do guys! I need to put out a song and do something with my life. What do i do seriously? I have this song. I need to put it out. I can't put it out sound like a piece of shit like this. I have no one else to help me. That's stupid music store said they can't hear anything. It takes over the entire ****ing song. I don't know if you just have bad speakers or what but no it's distracting to the song and music should sound like this. what should I do? I was thinking it wasn't that bad and I would put the song up tonight and see what you guys think. But after just listening to a couple takes, this isn't something I can release. Would anybody be willing to EQ my song or something? It seems like Eqing it would mess up the rest of the song though. seriously I do nothing with my life I have no friends and playing video games is not fun and I'm extremely depressed and I don't have anywhere to go. I need to put out this song and start playing shows and stuff.
Put out the song and move along. Nobody will notice, trust me. I am using Yamaha MSP 7 studio monitors, grado headphones, and ATH-M50 headphones, I am not using crap speakers. It's not noticeable.

The best thing you can do is let this song out and move on to the next one, trust me. It sounds like you're just nervous about releasing the song and looking for any little thing that's holding you back.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I'm quality over quantity. People have told me things like that before, but time has proven my attention to detail usually pays off. I need to get this right, so all of my recordings after this can sound the best they can. Not to mention this is my strongest and most important song.

this isn't the best take of them, but here is an example of how this sound is distracting and washes out the song: https://youtu.be/FDIu1QT-3K0
Last edited by shibby12 at May 5, 2015,
That's just your guitar resonating, it's perfectly natural. If you want to tone that down, though, you need to record in a treated space.

You're playing complex chords and letting them ring, that's what it sounds like on a bright resonant guitar like yours in an open room.

Can you provide a clip of a song you wish this production was closer to?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
well I mean it sounds horrible. I'm playing different notes, but there is one random note playing loudly throughout that's clashing with the cords. if you look at my post in the original recordings thread, it was recorded a couple years ago with the same guitar and the outro has notes held open and it doesn't have that ringing. I guess that's an example. Or any acoustic song with held out open notes, that doesn't play play a loud random ringing note over it. Thank you for feedback. Again, I want the notes to resonate, but I hear some random ringing note clashing with the others that I don't think I'm playing.

FYI the sound is coming directly from the sound hole. The room I'm recording in is very dampened, which makes it actually hard to sing because you hear every little part of my voice. But I think it gives it better recording quality. I tried putting a pillow behind the camera and it makes no difference. Got rid of the electric guitar in the corner, closed the bathroom door, it really doesn't seem to be an environmental issue. perhaps it's the strings? Would buying a new guitar make it any better? I'm eventually going to go up a couple series in the Taylors. From the 110 to a 3 something. But I thought hanging on to this for gigs would not be a bad idea. Again, the sound is coming directly from the sound hole. Resonating is fine as long as it's the strings I am strumming. All of those notes together should make a chord, but there seems to be one constant note ringing over it, no matter which note I'm actually playing.
Last edited by shibby12 at May 5, 2015,
Quote by vocoderboy
try a hair scrunchy just behind the nut.

Yeah, OP, did you try this? It was suggested earlier in the thread. A common place for off-key harmonics is behind the nut (or behind the bridge on certain electric guitars, I have to mute my Jag sometimes).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I guess I will try it. Feels like there's gotta be a way to play my song without it. Even if it means buying a new guitar. Because that seems ghetto. Anybody down for trying to mix it? Or any idea on how I should mix it? I know that was mentioned. Maybe it's true these are wolftones and I just need to find out how to get rid of them. Maybe a new guitar. Now my B string is twangy. only problem is if I get a higher quality guitar, the guy that Taylor told me each guitar will be different because it's all under percent would and not ceramic at that point. Ceramic or whatever the terminology is.
Quote by shibby12
I guess I will try it. Feels like there's gotta be a way to play my song without it. Even if it means buying a new guitar. Because that seems ghetto. Anybody down for trying to mix it? Or any idea on how I should mix it? I know that was mentioned. Maybe it's true these are wolftones and I just need to find out how to get rid of them. Maybe a new guitar. Now my B string is twangy. only problem is if I get a higher quality guitar, the guy that Taylor told me each guitar will be different because it's all under percent would and not ceramic at that point. Ceramic or whatever the terminology is.

Hair band isn't ghetto, loads of professionals do it, especially in the studio.

If you want people here to mix it, upload a zip of stems in .wav format and I'm sure a few people would take a crack at it, myself included if I find myself with the time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass