hey guys greetings, I recently acquired a peavey vk112 tube combo amp since im still 16 and don't have much money (I will get a job soon to start getting good gear . the amp sounds good with the distortion pedal I have but it's still not the tone im going for, I have the mids all the way up in my amp and and a little lower on my eq pedal to give a modern tone but it still doesn't do the job :/ I would love it if you guys could tell me which pedals should I get and amp for later so I can achieve a metalcore tone, I have heard of tube screamers like the TS808 being used for this tone but im still not sure if thats one of the things I need. Parkway Drive is the band that I mostly love their sound by the way if anyone wonders, while their cleans aren't that good their distortion sound is so badass. thanks guys!
Well you probably know your amp is not the ideal amp for that type of music, but using an OD to boost the front of the amp is about the best you will do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
The VK will do metal core. Make the amp do most the distortion, have an overdrive to boost it.

it sounds pretty 80s style, im not using a real tube screamer or overdrive, im just using the overdrive effect on my multi effect pedal, could it be that? also what other pedals and upgrades do you recommend?
Distortion on valvekings are garbage. I'd suggest an AMT P1, P2, or P-drive. If you have a really tight budget, look at the Joyo extreme metal or joyo California.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Parkway drive's live tone is a Peavey 6505 or similar amp. For their studio tone, I'm not so sure. I've heard rumors of 6505's, Framus Cobras, and Dual Rectifiers. They have probably my favorite studio guitar tones ever.

I would look into getting a stand alone overdrive pedal first. Aside from buying a more expensive amp, which it sounds like that is not currently a reasonable option, that will do you the most good.

Use your amps lead channel with an overdrive pedal, gain 0, level max. It's not going to sound exactly like them, but the professional recordings have a lot of post-performance sound enhancement going on. You should be able to have some fun with that valveking. I had a 212 valveking a little while ago.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Apr 17, 2015,
do some looking around here: http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/

i really recommend a dummy jack with the valveking. cheap and it makes a difference. EQ pedal and TS are a must.

i never got metalcore out of mine though.

and don't use the gain boost on the gain channel. its shite.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Came here to make my obligatory EQ pedal in the effects loop recommendation, but I see trashedlostfdup beat me to it. That would also cover the "dummy jack" enhancement; there must be something in the Valveking's effects loop buffer that makes it sound better.

I don't know if it will push a Valveking into metalcore territories, but an EQ certainly couldn't hurt. And as many have mentioned, an OD as a boost is also necessary. I don't know why everyone rags on the Valveking's distortion so much, I've never found them to be that bad. They just don't quite have enough gain for modern metal. But maybe a boost would push you there, and an EQ could help you sculpt. Putting a Celestion Vintage 30 or clone in the cab could help as well.

Anyway, metalcore doesn't typically need as much gain as people think it does. (Or maybe I'm so used to playing a 6505 that it doesn't seem that gainy anymore). To get that sound out of my 6505, I actually turn the gain pretty low and turn the volume UP. Lots of bass/low mids and middle mids to that sound as well. I really don't play or even listen to much metalcore though, so I may not know what I'm talking about.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I just remembered that I tried running my valveking through my 212 avatar cab and that made a big difference due to the speakers. If a speaker swap (~$110 new) isn't out of your financial ability, that would make a difference too.

For your situation I would suggest getting a bad monkey overdrive pedal on ebay for $40 bucks and a Hellatone 60 speaker for $110. It's a pre-broken in Celestion Vintage 30 from Avatar. I would get the pedal before the speaker, as you don't really need an extra speaker laying around if you upgrade to a higher end amp anytime soon.

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-60/

-Digitech RP1000
^ If you (TS) haven't swapped out the stock speaker, do that. If you're looking to get a new amp in the future, just make due until then. But a new speaker and an OD will do wonders for the VK. The EQ in the FX loop would help as well. Warehouse Guitar Speakers are good for budget.

I can get br00tz out of my VK, dunno about you chaps.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 17, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
^ If you (TS) haven't swapped out the stock speaker, do that. If you're looking to get a new amp in the future, just make due until then. But a new speaker and an OD will do wonders for the VK. The EQ in the FX loop would help as well. Warehouse Guitar Speakers are good for budget.

This is what most noobs think broots is

Fukkin pansies
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane

i never got it out of my VK head. it was through a mesa os cab. it will do some metal, but if you are looking for metalcore, look into something else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
speaker swap first, then OD pedal, then EQ pedal, then tubes

that = $80 + $40 + $30 + $30 (on the lower end of the budget scale)

If you are into doing these things then you can get what you want but as mentioned, it was not built for that out of the gate.

I had a Valveking 112 that I replaced with a Vypyr tube 60. Much better.
Quote by Robbgnarly
This is what most noobs think broots is

Fukkin pansies
Maybe my tone view of br00tz is different than yours, at least from the VK.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 18, 2015,
Quote by nick.culliton
Trade up for a 6505 combo. Problem solved.

This is the answer.

I owned a Valveking for a long time, it was my first big proper tube amp. I played metalcore at the time too and I made it do metalcore.

It is not worth the time and money, period. After an OD in front, an EQ in the loop, a noise gate and a better speaker, it will be more expensive than a 6505+ 112, and it still won't sound NEARLY as good as the 6505 for what you want to do.

The ValveKing is a modern metal pitfall. Every teenager buys one because it's a Peavey and it's cheap so they think that it will work. Everyone uses a 6505 and that's a Peavey, this is a Peavey, I'll just use this. But you'll end up spending a lot more money in the long run before just giving up and getting a Vypyr Tube or a 6505 (both of which I've owned, btw).

Get an overdrive and an EQ, you'll need them anyway. But I wouldn't bother with a speaker, save that money for the 6505+ 112.

Ibanez and Maxon are overpriced pedals riding on their name with minimal features or improvements. If you want to spend that kind of money, The Way Huge Green Rhino is pretty much an endgame Tubescreamer. All the tonal control you can want. There's some other stuff out there with clipping options like (I Think) the CMAT Signa Drive, and stuff like that.

If you're looking for more aggression and less smoothness you want the MXR M77, it's basically a Boss SD-1 that's better in every way - lower noise, much more tonal shaping and range on the pots.

For other flavors, there's the EHX Soul Food which is like a poor man's Klon, and of course the Paul Cochrane Timmy which is what it is. These are more transparent options.

For cheap, look at the Digitech Bad Monkey, or the Hardwire CM-2 if you can find one for a good price.

EQ wise, the MXR 10 Band is really the only way to go. The Danelectro Fish and Chips is fantastic for the price but it's not very durable. That's where the cost goes. Sounds good and very quiet though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by tas38
I'd suggest an AMT P1, P2, or P-drive
Me too. P2 if you can in any way afford it. Keep your lovely cleans and the versatility that comes with that. You already have an EQ pedal so you're already halfway there.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Offworld92
This is the answer.

I owned a Valveking for a long time, it was my first big proper tube amp. I played metalcore at the time too and I made it do metalcore.

It is not worth the time and money, period. After an OD in front, an EQ in the loop, a noise gate and a better speaker, it will be more expensive than a 6505+ 112, and it still won't sound NEARLY as good as the 6505 for what you want to do.

The ValveKing is a modern metal pitfall. Every teenager buys one because it's a Peavey and it's cheap so they think that it will work. Everyone uses a 6505 and that's a Peavey, this is a Peavey, I'll just use this. But you'll end up spending a lot more money in the long run before just giving up and getting a Vypyr Tube or a 6505 (both of which I've owned, btw).

Get an overdrive and an EQ, you'll need them anyway. But I wouldn't bother with a speaker, save that money for the 6505+ 112.

Ibanez and Maxon are overpriced pedals riding on their name with minimal features or improvements. If you want to spend that kind of money, The Way Huge Green Rhino is pretty much an endgame Tubescreamer. All the tonal control you can want. There's some other stuff out there with clipping options like (I Think) the CMAT Signa Drive, and stuff like that.

If you're looking for more aggression and less smoothness you want the MXR M77, it's basically a Boss SD-1 that's better in every way - lower noise, much more tonal shaping and range on the pots.

For other flavors, there's the EHX Soul Food which is like a poor man's Klon, and of course the Paul Cochrane Timmy which is what it is. These are more transparent options.

For cheap, look at the Digitech Bad Monkey, or the Hardwire CM-2 if you can find one for a good price.

EQ wise, the MXR 10 Band is really the only way to go. The Danelectro Fish and Chips is fantastic for the price but it's not very durable. That's where the cost goes. Sounds good and very quiet though.

sums things up pretty well. i'm a VK fan but i don't play modern metal. the VK is great for rock, blues and hard rock / metal of the 70s - early 80s variety. slap an overdrive in front and it does the hard rock - metal thing better but it's not the modern high gain sound. Peavey advertises it as a metal amp but realistically not for the newer stuff.

when i want to do the higher gain metal stuff (ok i have a Peavey Ultra for that but that's beside the point) i use a digitech cm-2 overdrive. this pedal has a gain switch which ups the gain and it does work well with the VK. now this works but it isn't ideal and as metnioned a 6505+ combo is the best bet.
I agree the 6005+ combo would be the best option, but without a budget I don't know what's reasonable, hence I suggested a cheap overdrive and possibly a speaker swap.

TS, how much money do you have to spend/are willing to save up? I know you said you're 16, but that's not a whole lot of help.

-Digitech RP1000
not a big fan of parkway drive, but that breakdown in romance is dead is soo sick.
sounds like their palm muting on the middle pickups