I had a thought for a wiring configuration, I've searched and searched and can't find anything. That tells me it's an original idea, or absurdly stupid. So...?

My idea is 2 humbuckers each wired to there own volume pot, then a blend pot, then output.

Is this something workable? Pointless? Why?
Workable, of course. Redundant, though, which is probably why you haven't seen anyone using it. You could get the same results with just two independent volume controls. There's no need for a blend knob if you already have individual volume pots. One blend and one master volume, sure, or two volumes, but all three steps on its own feet a bit.

The typical Les Paul setup with independent volumes gets you largely the same thing already, but with the ability to switch between pickups entirely. So I don't see much reason to use your wiring, but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad or wrong. Just not useful enough to be popular.
As long as you have use go for it. I'd find it impractical but than again I don't like a few tried and true diagrams you see in any shop. Like the classic 2 volume 2 tone , or the tones on a strat.

for your request though..
with two volumes you're already blending in the exact % of each pickup in the middle position. I mean you could adjust the ouput assuming they are 4 wire pickups using what is called the spin a split mod in place of a tone.

but one tip
so on a volume pot remember there are three contacts. Traditionally this is when you have the bottom of the pot facing up it's
left - hot lead - signal in
wiper - controls the % of output
ground - signal out

so you could in theory blend the pickups by having the hot lead go from the selectors hot lead (or from both volumes) to the hot lead of the "blend" pot and then wiper would be to the tip of your input jack.

At this point though I'm honestly still trying to visualize 100% what your request is though as I like this site because it keeps my wiring knowledge sharp.. One friend of mine on here we ended up making each coil in a humbucker blend as much % as he wanted. It was kind of expensive but he was happy.
Well my concept behind it is that my amp is highly sensitive to the guitar volume. On the clean channel, as you increase pickup volume it gets a more and more driven sound. So it got me thinking, what if I could go say, full volume on the bridge but then blend it out with 80 neck 20 bridge for example. Keeping the neck volume where it rings out really clean. Just wanting to see what tones I can find.
If your amp is highly sensitive to the guitar volume I'd think you would prefer a master volume to avoid weird jumps as you turned the blend pot. A single blend and a master volume would get you the exact same ability to blend the pickups but wouldn't force you to do weird things like turn two knobs just to mute the guitar, and it would keep the volume consistent when changing pickups. Heck, two independent volumes and no blend gives you the exact same range of possible combinations without the blend pot, which gives you an idea of the inefficiency of the 3-knob setup.

My issue with your wiring is that it adds complexity with no benefit. Any number of simpler wiring solutions achieve the same result without the drawbacks of redundant wiring.

For example: blending the bridge at 20% and the neck at 80% with 70% volume can be achieved with two knobs - put blend at 2 and the master at 7. With your wiring you have to adjust three knobs: blend to 2, neck to 7, bridge to 7. Then let's say you want to go to 70/30 but at full volume. With the 2-knob you just put the blend at 7 and the volume at 10. With your wiring you have to put the blend at 7, turn the neck to 10, then the bridge to 10. You get the same results but you often force yourself into a pointless extra knob turn or two to avoid volume fluctuations.

Matching volumes with different blend settings becomes even more absurd with the 3-knob setup. If you have the bridge at 3 and the neck at 9, the blend knob will change the volume from 3 to 9 across its sweep, while at the same time changing the tone, and if you want the same tone but slightly quieter you have to adjust both volume knobs. Wouldn't you rather be able to blend without drastically changing the volume? What is the point of the blend pot if you already have volume pots for both pickups?

Quote by highgear
On the clean channel, as you increase pickup volume it gets a more and more driven sound. So it got me thinking, what if I could go say, full volume on the bridge but then blend it out with 80 neck 20 bridge for example. Keeping the neck volume where it rings out really clean. Just wanting to see what tones I can find.

Full volume on the bridge but then 20/80 means you're not getting full volume from the bridge. You're putting it at 10 and then immediately knocking it down to 2 with the blend knob. You'd get the same result with one volume for the neck pickup and one for the bridge, putting the neck at 8 or 10 and then turning up the bridge until the blend sounds nice. If your pickups sound muddy at lower volumes you can add a treble bleed circuit. This isn't a Master Volume amp, you gain nothing by having a volume knob for an individual at 10 if you then immediately blend it out to be 20% of the output. You might as well save yourself the trouble and put the volume at 2 and ditch the blend. It's the same thing.
oh ok makes sense, this is why I'm glad I've got a two channel amp at times so if I do play clean it's a different volume.

I really like putting humbuckers in parallel it's a hum cancelling coiltap you can achieve with any 4 wire pickup. This LTD MH1000 Deluxe I had , had a super 5 way switch and when I would switch to cleans I would use parallel for it and the volume drops but you get such a great sound without any buzz.

parallel is easily found on seymour duncan / guitarelectronic.com pages. Just you have to know your pickups color code assuming they are 4 wire perfectly.

as for parallel you can do this many ways , focus on the push pull contacts and you'll do fine. This can be done to any a volume or tone knob that has the extra contacts or a DPDT on/on switch

cool guitar though, this photo does no justice of how cool the abalone binding is
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Apr 17, 2015,
Yeah, the pickups I'm using are SD Invaders. I do also have a 2 channel amp. I just am exploring options as this is my 1st custom build. I want some sort of special to it.

My main guitar is a Hellraiser Solo 6, emgs, 2vol 2tone 3way and coil tap.

Guess I'm just trying to reinvent the wheel and square blocks don't roll.
If you add a 4pdt switch, you could have the usual two volume setup with a pickup selector switch. Then flip the 4pdt and change to a master volume and blend setup.

Don't know if that would be any good to you but it may be something to think about.

I'm pretty sure you could use one of the individual volume pots as the master as well so you'd still only need three pots (plus whatever tone and things you want)
fair enough, yeah i started with craigslist guitars that already had problems and would laugh saying how bad could i mess them up. I learned a lot doing so.

another potential option besides the 4PDT switch which is a cool idea one idea I just had is the seymour duncan triple shots. You get 4 sounds per pickup so you'd get all the paralell and accentuated coils you'd want. Kind of a headache to wire though and they are expensive but you'll push the guitar further. One youtuber I think even put jimmy page wiring to it, no idea what the extra sounds would be but i was kind of astonished.