Ok so im plan on learning this solo, but im not sure if the guitar and Tenor sax read in the same keys. Meaning is ok for me to play this solo as it is written in the sheet music, or do I need to transpose it. If so, how do I transpose it

Here the sheet music
www.michaelbreckerliverecordings.com/Transcriptions/Solo/Some%20Skunk%20Funk%201992%20-%20Michael%20Breckers%20Solo%20-%20Julian%20Palma.pdf
BTW i got through the first two measures so far and it sounds pretty good in comparison to the source, but I want to make sure im playing it right before I go any further
Tenor sax is a Bb instrument. You can make your guitar a Bb instrument by tuning a whole step down. Or just transpose a whole step down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Tenor sax is a Bb instrument. You can make your guitar a Bb instrument by tuning a whole step down. Or just transpose a whole step down.

Ok and to transpose you would you just play the notes that are written a whole step down, for example when playing an A I would instead play a B, right?
Transposed parts (in Bb) are written one whole step too high to compensate for the lower tuning. If there is a C in the score, you would play a Bb. If there's an A, the actual note that will sound is a G.

So assuming that the score is not in concert pitch, you will play everything a whole step lower than what it says on the score.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Apr 17, 2015,
^That.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Elintasokas
Transposed parts (in Bb) are written one whole step too high to compensate for the lower tuning. If there is a C in the score, you would play a Bb. If there's an A, the actual note that will sound is a G.

So assuming that the score is not in concert pitch, you will play everything a whole step lower than what it says on the score.

Ok one last question, how would I know if the score is in concert pitch or not?
You assume individual instrument parts (like your example) are always transposed for the instrument. Full scores will be marked either as 'Transposed Score' or 'C Score' usually in the top left hand corner of the first page of the score. If it's not there it will be somewhere in the front matter what the particulars are. If it's not anywhere the copyist/engraver was a shit heel.
^ This.

And at least in full scores, it usually says the transposing key next to the instrument. Like "Bb Clarinet" for example or "F horn". I have no idea about individual parts like this, though.
Individual parts will say it for most instruments. That's because most instruments that transpose have multiple transpositions (like C trumpet and Bb trumpet so the part would indicate which trumpet). With saxophone, they only have one transposition for each register so it can be omitted. Saying tenor sax implies that it's in Bb.
I've got an app (iTransposer) on the app store (iPhone only I'm afraid) which will help. Basically it's a tuner which displays the note you are playing on the stave.

http://www.appstore.com/iTransposer

Set the transposition to Bb Tenor Sax and play some notes on your guitar to move the note displayed so it corresponds to the note(s) on your Bb tenor sax printed part.
It's designed to help learn transposition and caters for most band and orchestral instruments.

It's free and only takes up 500kb or so on an iPhone. If you have an iPad make sure you search for an iPhone app on the store.
^ Or then just learn to transpose and you don't have to use any apps for it. There are really no shortcuts. An app can help you if you just need to figure out one part and that's it. But if you want to be able to do it in the future, it's a lot more beneficial to just learn to do it. Transposing is not hard, especially on an instrument like guitar, where you can just move everything X amount of frets up or down.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115