So, first time posting in bass forums in my life

Been playing guitar for 14 years, and also playing bass quite a bit. I want to buy a new bass for my Home-Studio

When i mean to play bass, is not 'typical asshole Guitarrist who thinks he knows to play bass but he sucks'. I've practiced quite a bit, specially when i record in my home-studio, etc. Still i consider myself to be a Guitarrist and not a Bassist. I mainly practice guitar and pick the bass only to record demo's.

My approach in making songs is this. I make a melody/song on Guitar/Keyboard, program a shitty drum to have it as tempo, I do a second guitar and then i record some bassline to give power to the song. Finally I add some lyrics.

For example https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/sotaventos

I've made an home studio over years, all with 'decent stuff' interface (Tascam Us-800), good monitors, decent mics (at2020' and 2021s, sm 57-58 etc) awesome guitars, good amp, but i'm lacking on the bass.

I've a shitty chinesse Memphis bass of 100 USD that i'm getting sick of the tone, it's bad calibrated etc. I just fkin hate it.

Last month i won a TON of money for first time in my life (12k to be exactly), and this month i'm gonna win like 12K more so i decided: Let's change that ****ing bass and go pro.

And that's when i understood i didn't knew anything of Bass Models.

I'm looking for super versatile Bass, suiting all styles with great intonation and to last for the rest of my life (40+ years).

For example my main guitar is a Fender Am Stratocaster Hss Deluxe, it cost me 1200 USD, but i love it on how versatile it is. I'm sure i'm not going to sell it in the rest of my life.

After researching a bit on the net, it seem's that i need to get a Fender P-Bass, probably going for the American Standard. I'm hitting the stores on the weekend, so i really need to know what other things i should be looking on a bass, i guess is the same as a guitar: Feel, intonation, sustain...

To end this long post, I live in Chile, so buying instruments here is DOUBLE than USA. A Standard Fender American P-Bass here is 2.000 USD, quite an investment.

Or i'm crazy with GAS and i don't need such a expensive instrument that is not my main, and can get something equal with not spending so much money? Specially this is only for homestudio use, is going to be (at least at the beggining) DI directly to interface etc.

Pretty confused, thanks to read.

What i expect for answers are suggestions on how to try bass at the store, and other models to look (ther's not a lot of variety here down south).

Tl;DR. I need to upgrade new bass for homestudio, have tons of cash to expend (up to 1.100 USD in USA retail prices), but bass not first instrument. Need to be full versatile.
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Apr 17, 2015,
I think you are correct about the need for a P-bass. You don't need an American Standard, though. I don't know what the price difference is where you are, but a Mexican Made P-bass should serve just as good. In the states, they are roughly 1/2 the cost of the American Standard.
There's no reason it can't last forever.
Something with both P and J style pickups may be more versatile. Maybe something like this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-aerodyne-4-string-jazz-bass

As far as what to look for when you test it? You are again correct. How does it sound to you, how does it feel, etc. Just like a guitar.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
I think you are correct about the need for a P-bass. You don't need an American Standard, though. I don't know what the price difference is where you are, but a Mexican Made P-bass should serve just as good. In the states, they are roughly 1/2 the cost of the American Standard.
There's no reason it can't last forever.
Something with both P and J style pickups may be more versatile. Maybe something like this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-aerodyne-4-string-jazz-bass

As far as what to look for when you test it? You are again correct. How does it sound to you, how does it feel, etc. Just like a guitar.

2 seconds ago i checked instagram and fender account uploaded a bass with P and J pickups, damn! They are targeting me

What is the model of this beauty? https://instagram.com/p/1lKWQeOYUX/?taken-by=fenderguitar

I know mexican should be enough... It's just i got the money, so i said why not .
Still you are right, a Standard P-Bass MIM new is 800 usd here and i could invest those 1000 usd in something else (amp or new interface)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by tiky

Looks like some sort of Deluxe model or even a custom. Possibly someone's signature bass maybe?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
A good Precision or Jazz will do for just about anything. If you want to get super versatile, look into the Deluxe Jazz and Deluxe Precision models (newer Deluxe P's have a P/J setup, older ones have a P and a humbucker), the active preamps might be something you'd be interested in. If you want to go Fender, go American Standard or Deluxe, they're head and shoulders above the MIM ones in terms of quality.

I'd suggest taking a look at G&L's offerings too. Their MIA line (vs. the Tribute line which is their very solid series of imports) is awesome. The JB, SB, and LB basses are Leo Fender's final evolutions of the Precision and Jazz, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything more versatile than an L-2000 or M-2000.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by tiky

That appears to be Fender's American Deluxe Precision:

http://www.fender.com/precision-bass/deluxe/

Pricey, but worth it.

Take a look at Fender's American Special Precision and Jazz basses. Great basses; less expensive than the American Standard series (and a lot less expensive than the American Deluxe series).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Personally I would recommend a Jazz over a Precision. I will explain why but remember this is just my opinion.

P-bass has only one pickup - the split coil which is positioned near the neck. This produces the distinctive sound, but (again only my opinion) it is not as versatile. The Jazz bass has two pickups, one near the neck and one near the bridge. You can use only the bridge pickup to get the classic P-bass sound when you want it, use only the bridge pickup to get the "Jaco sound" when you want it, and you can use both to get a more balanced tone.
Sorry, I noticed a typo in my reply above. Should be: "You can use only the neck pickup to get the classic P-bass sound when you want it"
Well i hit 1 store in the weekend. I have been bery busy.

There i tried 3 Bass tha were around of what i was looking around.

1 Very expensive Fender American Precision bass 3.500 USD (around 1,7k in USA Prices, here in south america is all 2x)

1 Sting Bass Fender Edition. 1.200 USD, that is now discontinued, but it's being sold as NEW in store.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-sting-signature-precision-bass

1 Squier Jazz Bass 600 USD.

What noticed me in first place, is I wasn't able to notice difference in 'quality' 'tone' or feel when i compared the expensive Fender Am deluxe P-bss vs Sting Bass P-Bass. And i played both quite a while. Of course there were 'diferent' but i couldn't find anything better between them. In fact i didin't knew the prices at first, and i did like more the Sting P-Bass (without knowing it was sting signature model)

That being said, I didn't like the squier jazz bass, it felt cheaper (maybe because i knew it was squier), but also it was a lot more towards mid sound. I didn't eq'd too much the amp, but i played with the volume pickups, and it never get near to the sound of the P-Bass when using the neck pickup...

Overall, with this first shopping round, I convinced that i do not need an American P-bass, because i can't notice the diferences!. I just need something precise with the notes, etc. So I think my options on next weekend are going to a store where i can find

MIM P-Bass
MIM Jazz Bass, and see what i like most.

Non the less, i liked a lot that sting P-Bass, it felt right to my fretting hand, haven't searched is there is a different neck or whatsoever.

I will keep you updated :P The american deluxe bass looks amazing, but definetly i would not be able (at least now) to see the diferences, as i can see them with guitars.
If it helps - I own a MIM Jazz bass. $800 USD vs. $1300 for an American Standard Jazz. I think the MIM instruments are just fine. I also have a colleague who plays guitar and who owns a MIM Telecaster. He loves it.
I've had my Made in mexico P-bass for about 8 years now. It's currently getting some new pots, which is the only issue I've ever had with it - and it does't really count since I screwed them up during a bizarre knob-removal incident. But overall it's been a really solid instrument and I think the p-bass is a great choice for having in the studio; the p-bass tone just fits in everywhere.