Hi!

I have 30W marshall combo (MG30dfx) and want to know how much is louder one 120W (peavey 5150 with 2x12 box/70W+70W) amp?
For exemple when the marshall MG30dfx is on 2/10 volume, then this loudnes is how much at 5150's volume knob, ?/10?
Can help me someone, how can I this calculate?
Wattage doesn't relate to volume in the way many people think. A 100watt amp is only twice as loud as a 10watt amp. What the wattage on an amp really tells you is it's clean headroom (before the power amp starts to break up and distort your sound).

Also, the MG and 6505 will probably not use the same volume pots and will not have the same "sweep" through their volumes. It might be hard to exactly answer you question, but the 5150 is a very loud amp, it will be much louder than your MG. It does have a master volume however, so you can play it quietly if you need.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Apr 18, 2015,
It's not easy or practical to calculate, the Pre and Post or Gain/Volume controls interact too much and are not linear so you can't just multiply one setting to get the setting on the other. On top of that things like speaker sensitivity make a big difference. One 70 watt speaker can be twice as loud as another.

The Peavey is a lot louder than the Marshall. We don't experience volume in very good delineations (what does "twice as loud" sound like?) so unfortunately "a lot louder" is about all we can say.
When so much factors are different, you simply can't get an answer 'cause there's no answer.

Cab is different, speakers are different, master volume pot tapers are different and guitar power amp ratings are made up.

Also the 5150 does have a master volume indeed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Okay thanks. Actually I want to know, that the 5150 is also usable for practicing/home recording, or just too loud for that? I use my marshall mostly at 1.5-2 volume...
All you need to know is that the 5150 will blow the MG off the stage without breaking a sweat, even if the MG is cranked. They're not even in the same ballpark. That said, a 5150 can sound good at lower volumes too.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^^ Yup pretty much that. The peavey will be perfectly usable at lower volumes. Even if you have to play it with the master volume like a hair width away from cutting the output entirely, it'll still sound good, especially compared to your mg. And yes, when it's cranked, it will be far, far louder and more powerful sounding than the mg could ever be.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Assuming they are running through the exact same speakers at the same impedance setting (which they are not), this gives you a rough idea of watts vs volume. The Peavey would be 6db louder.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Spambot_2
When so much factors are different, you simply can't get an answer 'cause there's no answer.

Cab is different, speakers are different, master volume pot tapers are different and guitar power amp ratings are made up.

Also the 5150 does have a master volume indeed.

So I'm looking at my 6505 right now, which is the exact same amp as a 5150, and I don't have a master volume.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
So I'm looking at my 6505 right now, which is the exact same amp as a 5150, and I don't have a master volume.

volume knob. you have a seperate gain knob correct? some amps have a 3rd kob that can be called master volume. but if you have more than one volume knob then there is a master volume.
Quote by BV-95

post gain is your master. its not a global master though. you have one on each channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ah, I misunderstood what was meant by master volume. I thought master volume exclusively meant a volume knob that affects all channels across the board of an amp.
Fender MIM Strat HSS (DiMarzio Crunch Lab)
Peavey 6505+ 112

If you want, I can mix/master your tracks for free just so I can practice and who knows, maybe you'll love what you hear! Hit me up.
Quote by BV-95
Ah, I misunderstood what was meant by master volume. I thought master volume exclusively meant a volume knob that affects all channels across the board of an amp.

no big deal. i did too a long time ago. some amps have channel masters AND global masters, for example my MKIV.

its kind of a slippery phrase though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
this comes up a lot and its a huge misconception.

the type of sweep or pot on the volume knob can make a huge difference. some amps have a real bad, 1 to 10 scenario where you are nothing, and then all the sudden LOUD, some have a very slow gradual sweep. thats just a design thing.

CAB and SPEAKERS have a HUGE affect on percieved loudness. each speaker itself can vary 3-5 DB at 1 watt of power. 3-5 is a big jump. thats probably the same jump as a 10 vs 100 watt amp. and it is exponentially increased when you multiply wattage meaning

speaker at 95 SPL

1 watt = 95
2= 98
4 watts = 101
8 watts = 104

speaker at 103 SPL

1 watt = 103
2 = 106
4 = 109
8 = 111

see the difference? that not even factoring in the amp. thats just speaker loudness.

if you have a 4x12 with eminence wizards, holy cow man, it doesnt matter what amp you have your getting the neighbors called on you.

i went through an experimnent a while back getting al lthese amps with power scaling. DV Mark down to 0.5 watts. engaters down to 1 watt. its all garbage. they are loud. it makes very little difference of the wattage.

what is affected is player response, perception of "power" or "thump", clean headroom, natural breakup. those things.

its like, a 50CC dirty bike and a 250 CC dirty bike with both go 50 MPH (or can). but how do you think they will be different both going 50 mph? or like, both will go over the track, but how do you think they will differ accelrating over a jump? they act and respond way differently.

design can be a factor. amps work differently, just like your average trail dirty bike is NOTHING...NOTHING like a finely tubed racing bike. just like your average amp out of guitar center is NOTHING like a custom, hand built, boutique amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by evmac
A 100watt amp is only twice as loud as a 10watt amp.

"Only" twice as loud? 10dB is a lot. Twice as loud is quite a bit louder.

But yeah, TS, it's complicated. It has to do with a lot of things. Most likely you won't be able to turn the 5150 past 1/10 in your bedroom. Volume controls don't work the same way on all amps. On many amps the volume jump from 1/10 to 2/10 is a lot bigger than from 2/10 to 3/10.

Also, low volume performance is not about the amp's wattage. Many powerful amps work just fine at bedroom levels.

It has a lot to do with speakers. Your Marshall most likely has a pretty inefficient speaker, and I'm sure the stock speaker on a 5150 is more efficient. If you played the Marshall through the same speaker as the 5150, there would be less difference between them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Also worth noting because I didn't see it mentioned:

The 5150/6505 in particular has a "Dead zone" on the post gain, where it is incredibly muddy up until about 1 on the post gain. If you need to run it lower than that, just put some kind of volume control in the loop, and turn the volume down. This will let you turn the post gain up higher to compensate while still being the same volume as if it were at 0.5 or w/e. Used that trick with my 5150, JSX & 6505, it's fantastic for getting the power amp working at talking volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MaggaraMarine
"Only" twice as loud? 10dB is a lot. Twice as loud is quite a bit louder.

Yeah, but it's not 10x as loud, which is what a lot of people tend to think.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
^ Yeah, of course.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks a lot!

What is the minimum room size for 5150 and for a 2x12 mesa rectifier?
Which attenuator recommend you? - I found this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Power-Soak-fur-Rohrenamp-Attentuator-Power-Break-zahmt-die-Vollrohre-/291434755055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item43dadd73ef

Some 60W amp is more "home playing" amp, than 120W? I mean that 100W amp is only twice as much louder, than the 10W amp...so, it's have any advantage the 60W amp compare to 120W amp, for home playing/recording(with mesa recto 2x12)?
Last edited by venndi88 at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by venndi88
Thanks a lot!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Power-Soak-fur-Rohrenamp-Attentuator-Power-Break-zahmt-die-Vollrohre-/291434755055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item43dadd73ef

Some 60W amp is more "home playing" amp, than 120W? I mean that 100W amp is only twice as much louder, than the 10W amp...so, it's have any advantage the 60W amp compare to 120W amp, for home playing/recording(with mesa recto 2x12)?

Here are the basics.

It doesn't make much sense to buy a powerful amp and then feed all that power into a bank of resistors that will eliminate most of that power by turning that power into heat and then to channel whatever is left into a large, expensive brand name hunk of wood and speaker coils so that the result sounds like a cheap radio.

There's no advantage in loudness reduction to buying a 60W amp over a 100W amp; both are designed to blast 200-300 people in an audience with ear-splitting noise (er..."tone"). Neither is at home in your bedroom.

What you dial in on the volume knob on one amp has NO relation to the volume setting on another amp. They can have the same ultimate loudness and the same power and the same speakers, and one will give you almost everything at "1" and another will be fully engaged at "8". Often the manufacturers will do this on purpose.

It's a bit like buying a car with 700 bhp and then driving it in heavy traffic each day on streets with 30 mph speed limits. You're not really using it anywhere near what it was designed for; you're just hoping someone sees you in it
Quote by venndi88
Thanks a lot!

You dont need an attenuator for a 5150...it has a volume knob.......

There is pretty much no difference in volume from a 60W and 120W
It's pretty much just headroom
Quote by Offworld92
Also worth noting because I didn't see it mentioned:

The 5150/6505 in particular has a "Dead zone" on the post gain, where it is incredibly muddy up until about 1 on the post gain. If you need to run it lower than that, just put some kind of volume control in the loop, and turn the volume down. This will let you turn the post gain up higher to compensate while still being the same volume as if it were at 0.5 or w/e. Used that trick with my 5150, JSX & 6505, it's fantastic for getting the power amp working at talking volumes.

Many times this. My combo didn't sound 'right' until the post was up near 1. And that's getting into decently loud territory (small room).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs