I have been looking at the Jackon JS32T and the Epiphone Les Paul Studio, My budget is around 350, I'm just looking for a good guitar to play just about anything on. I play a lot of songs in drop d though. Is there any other guitars that I should look at in this price range or which guitar would you choose? Thank you
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit? 350 is my limit

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?
I like hair metal, pink Floyd, metalcore, classic rock

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want? No preference really, looking for a fixed bridge though

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?
I'm not sure on that I don't know the difference honestly
Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
I have a ESP Viper 50, ibanez RGR320SP , and a UX1 I run through pod farm to get all of my amp sounds

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice and all but chances are people won't read it word for word and will skip over looking for these 6 things I listed.
If you haven't got any real preferences about what guitar you actually want, then the best advice anyone can give is to go to a guitar store and try as many guitars as you can, to find out what you like.

Then come back and ask the question again once you have some specifications in mind.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 17, 2015,
i'd also consider looking used as you will definitely get a better guitar for that money than new. do you have a decent guitar shop in your area?
Quote by monwobobbo
i'd also consider looking used as you will definitely get a better guitar for that money than new. do you have a decent guitar shop in your area?

Nah nearest guitar shop is guitar center about an hour away, I do check out the used gear on their website though
For a $350 budget to play some hair metal...I think a fat strat could be cool. You could get a used Fender MIM Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge. According to a picture I found on the internet Adrian Smith uses an American version of that guitar. (Also has a Floyd Rose) the pickups are listed as Texas Specials in the neck and middle and a Dimarzio Super Destortion in the bridge. Honestly sounds like something I might do...Hmm...
Why get another entry level guitar? The Ibanez has a tremolo, the Viper is hardtail... What can an entry level LP or Jackson do for you? From what Google shows their both $250-300 so why not hold off until you can get something a class higher? Or use the money to upgrade what you got? Maybe get some pickups?
Quote by highgear
Why get another entry level guitar? The Ibanez has a tremolo, the Viper is hardtail... What can an entry level LP or Jackson do for you? From what Google shows their both $250-300 so why not hold off until you can get something a class higher? Or use the money to upgrade what you got? Maybe get some pickups?

Viper is beat up, was actually trying to replace it because the ibanez is fine...was looking for a solid fixed bridge guitar since the ibanez has a trem, plus I don't see myself needing a higher level guitar when I don't believe I'm on that level
Quote by awokenjb3
Viper is beat up, was actually trying to replace it because the ibanez is fine...was looking for a solid fixed bridge guitar since the ibanez has a trem, plus I don't see myself needing a higher level guitar when I don't believe I'm on that level

not the way to think. if you get a better guitar it may well inspire you to play more. i'd take a look at CG used and perhaps find the time for a trip.
Remember, plan for the future. Regardless, I personally don't like the LP from Epi, of the 2 I'd lean heavily towards the Jackson. I also have a distance to a guitar store. I usually use Zzounds. Pretty good return policy if you don't like it. My current baby is a Solo6 neck through with EMGs, it kills classic rock, 90s stuff etc. Pretty, pricey, but it's what I wanted and I don't forsee ever upgrading.

I wouldn't mind getting that viper though, send me a pm if it's in the US and you care to negotiate.
Quote by monwobobbo
not the way to think. if you get a better guitar it may well inspire you to play more. i'd take a look at CG used and perhaps find the time for a trip.

Only problem is every good deal is usually from a different location so you can't really test it out, just gotta go with what the description says and photos
You can order online and return within 30 days from GC. I recently got my ESP from them and had no issue. They can either ship it to your house or to your nearest store to.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Quote by ltdguy27
You can order online and return within 30 days from GC. I recently got my ESP from them and had no issue. They can either ship it to your house or to your nearest store to.

Is that their used policy though? I'm not talking about a new guitar I can go there and check out new ones but for a higher tier guitar I would have to buy used and take a shot in the dark
Short answer is yes you can return a used guitar to GC. 30 days unless it's vintage then it's 3 days. Rumor is they don't like to honor it though.
Quote by highgear
Short answer is yes you can return a used guitar to GC. 30 days unless it's vintage then it's 3 days. Rumor is they don't like to honor it though.

So what would you recommend I look for exactly?
I just glanced through there pages. There's a Schecter Hellraiser C1 for $399, I play a hellraiser solo 6, same thing different body. It's in the Rochester NY store. Set neck, mahogany, quilted maple top, emgs, ebony fretboard tune-o-matic, seriously what else could you ask for
Quote by highgear
I just glanced through there pages. There's a Schecter Hellraiser C1 for $399, I play a hellraiser solo 6, same thing different body. It's in the Rochester NY store. Set neck, mahogany, quilted maple top, emgs, ebony fretboard tune-o-matic, seriously what else could you ask for

i just played that guitar the other day nice axe. not an emg guy but it sounded pretty good. oh and i mean that guitar i live in the rochester area
Quote by monwobobbo
i just played that guitar the other day nice axe. not an emg guy but it sounded pretty good. oh and i mean that guitar i live in the rochester area

There ya go awokenjb3, already tested and approved.
When I started playing guitar I made the mistake of buying a new guitar every time I could scrape enough together to get one. I ended up with 11 low end budget guitars and no room to store more. I had to basically hold a fire sale...and low end guitars simply do not hold their value. I wasted lots of money.

I now have 7 guitars and am much more selective in what comes into the house.

The moral of the story is its better to have fewer but better guitars. I have a great collection as you can see from my signature...I just wish I would have learned this from the get go.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Quote by awokenjb3
So what would you recommend I look for exactly?

That entirely depends on what your preferences are.

Different people like different things. If you aren't specific about what you want, then people are only going to recommend guitars that they want you to buy and not necessarily what you want to buy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I agree with the "save for a better guitar" sentiment - first, you're probably better than you think second, better guitars tend to also be easier to play and sound better basically. But also:
Quote by highgear

If it's in a good shape, this deal is ridiculous and a huge step up from what you have, it costs like 2-3x the price new. The only thing is that EMGs are not everyone's thing but you may swap them eventually if you don't like them. Although note they're high output, so won't do that great for softer stuff.