So, the nut on my EC-401 is kinda sticky, and makes tuning a pain sometimes. I rubbed graphite in it and everything, but it doesnt really help.

Im thinking about straight up changing the nut, and i want a good one. Is there any sort of schaller roller nut or something like that, that would fit on it? The specs say that the neck width on the ec401 is 42mm, but i cant really find any nuts with that exact numbers. Is my only option to buy a blank and cut it properly? I cant say i really want to do that, because i already tried it once for a differnet guitar, and it wasnt that great, so i'd probably take it to a luthier instead.

So, any suggestions? And keep in mind that im in europe, so i need some sort of european or international store for this.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The vast majority of the cause of tuning issues regarding the nut, is that the nut slots are not cut as well as they could be.

Go to a hardware store, buy some welding torch tip cleaners for a couple bucks, and modify the slots yourself.

Either that, or take the easy way out and buy a TUSQ nut. But even if you decide to do that, you'll still need to modify the nut slots so I wouldn't bother doing that until after you've tried the former.

There are plenty of 42mm nuts out there. 42mm is a very common size.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Strange, thomann seems to have only one 42mm nut. I guess ill try the tip cleaning thing, but i really want it to be as good as it can be, and i dont wanna **** something up accidently.
Nobody does want to **** anything up, but seriously all you'll probably need to do is widen the slots out slightly, and angle them outwards towards the path of the tuners and that'll probably do wonders for you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
this is why at times I hate going to my local shops because it's all the unoriginal stuff. The good news is graphtech who makes the tusq nuts does ship. But their suppliers sell for a better price I find.

other alternatives
bone nuts - kind of expensive
brass - but brass wears out thinking very long term
I'm really partial to bone, the one I Put in my Takamine cost a whopping 5 bucks. Did it all myself, looks good but I was pretty scared trying to cut the nut slots myself. Took it to a friend who was very good, wanted to have him do it in his shop. He handed me the nut files and said time to learn...YIKES...It turned out good though.

If you made a mess of a nut before, the only way you'll get better is to do it again and get some practice.

I agree with Toodeep though, probably the only thing you need to do is widen the nut slots a little. Get some torch tip cleaners and give it a light filing.

If you want to replace it entirely, trace the shape of the old one onto the blank and start sanding. when you get close, start trying it and sanding just a little until it fits. I only took about 20 minutes roughing mine out, over an hour to finish it a little at a time. I finished up with 600 grit sandpaper then 1200 grit to get it really smooth. Looks like a factory job now. I took it to the friend's shop and gave it a light touch up on his buffing wheel, made it look like a new one.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Actually, the first one i did was pretty good shape wise, since im used to shaping things with sanding. But i have no good tools to cut the slots, thats why it was kinda bad. I just used a random set of the smallest files i could find, and it didnt turn out stellar. The high e string was kinda dancing around in the slot. I also dont know anyone with nut slotting files, but i dont wanna shell out a bunch of money for something that i will only use a couple of times in my whole life.
Then do everything but the nut slots and take it to a tech to have those done.
Quote by gorkyporky
I also dont know anyone with nut slotting files, but i dont wanna shell out a bunch of money for something that i will only use a couple of times in my whole life.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Go to a hardware store, buy some welding torch tip cleaners for a couple bucks, and modify the slots yourself.

^^^
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^^^

Oh, i thought i should only use those to widen the holes. I'll give it a shot i guess, bone nut blanks are not that expensive anyway.
I don't think the tip cleaners would work well for initially cutting the nut slots, just for tweaking them if you have some that are too tight. If you do a new nut, have a tech cut the slots. You already know you can do everything else.
Quote by gorkyporky
Oh, i thought i should only use those to widen the holes. I'll give it a shot i guess, bone nut blanks are not that expensive anyway.

use a hacksaw blade to cut the slots initially, then widen them to the right diameter with the cleaners.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Doesnt the hacksaw give you a to wide of a hole for the high e? Because thats what i used the last time, and it seemed too big.
Use the thinnest blade you can find for all the strings. You can always widen them out later. A jeweller's blade is crazy thin, but that might be a bit overkill.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yep. You might check at Hobby Lobby, they have saw blades for an Xacto knife that might be thin enough. I've looked at them but never bought one, I'd have to measure it before cutting into a nut though, anything over about .015" would be too much for a .009" E string...

Be very careful with any type of saw though, it would be easy to cut too deep. Saws take out a lot of material n a hurry. That's the best thing about nut files, they don't take off a lot of material too fast.