Hey guys, Im looking to buy a new guitar and im kinda shooting out the Flying v vs an Explorer, both gibson, Im probably gonna get the V but I was curious as to what you guys would chose, V or Explorer, what finish also.
not that its a deal-breaker, but the V does have better fret access.

i have a Gibson Gothic V (2001???) andi love it. i really like the 500t in the bridge that both the V and explorer get. someday i will buy an explorer, but maybe another V first...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not that its a deal-breaker, but the V does have better fret access.

i have a Gibson Gothic V (2001???) andi love it. i really like the 500t in the bridge that both the V and explorer get. someday i will buy an explorer, but maybe another V first...

Quick question since you own one, how hot is the 500t?
explorers have pretty good fret acess so i dunno. Vs can be a litte tough to play when sitting.

i guess i'd go for an explorer over a V although my inner Hendrix says V. i really like the original koa look so that's what i'd get (if rich cuz koa guitrs ain't cheap).

never owned either but have played a bunch over the years. if i went for an explorer it probably would be a Hamer over a gibson
Quote by Bmullet00
Quick question since you own one, how hot is the 500t?

pretty hot. i am not good at describing pickups in text, but i didn't feel the need to swap it with it to play modern metal. i like it a lot. i actually threw one in the bridge of a gibson LP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by monwobobbo
explorers have pretty good fret acess so i dunno. Vs can be a litte tough to play when sitting.

i guess i'd go for an explorer over a V although my inner Hendrix says V. i really like the original koa look so that's what i'd get (if rich cuz koa guitrs ain't cheap).

never owned either but have played a bunch over the years. if i went for an explorer it probably would be a Hamer over a gibson

maybe i am thinking of my charvel star and not the explorer for fret access. i could be off.

i had a really nice hamer explorer once, it was pretty sweet. i didn't like the stock pickups in it though (again not a deal-breaker) i only had it for a few days though i traded it for something.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe i am thinking of my charvel star and not the explorer for fret access. i could be off.

i had a really nice hamer explorer once, it was pretty sweet. i didn't like the stock pickups in it though (again not a deal-breaker) i only had it for a few days though i traded it for something.

i went to buy a Hamer from a guy many years back and like 1 minute after the deal was done (i was at his place) the police showed up and said the guitar was stolen.
Quote by monwobobbo
i went to buy a Hamer from a guy many years back and like 1 minute after the deal was done (i was at his place) the police showed up and said the guitar was stolen.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pretty hot. i am not good at describing pickups in text, but i didn't feel the need to swap it with it to play modern metal. i like it a lot. i actually threw one in the bridge of a gibson LP.

Thanks dude, I normally always put bare nuckles in all of mine but I might not have to this time.
I've played both and own a 2011 V.

The guitar rips. Pickups are awesome. Never played a guitar with a neck more comfortable. Amazingly lightweight.
Quote by Bmullet00
Thanks dude, I normally always put bare nuckles in all of mine but I might not have to this time.

Considering putting new pickups in any guitar before you even buy it is always foolish. How do you know if you're actually going to like the stock pickups if you don't even own the guitar yet?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 18, 2015,
Quote by Bmullet00
Hey guys, Im looking to buy a new guitar and im kinda shooting out the Flying v vs an Explorer, both gibson, Im probably gonna get the V but I was curious as to what you guys would chose, V or Explorer, what finish also.

I have both, but neither is a Gibson/Epiphone (the V is a 70's Moonstone, the Explorer started as a Warmoth explorer body but has been...er...modified.

My flying V has great upper fret access (mine's a 24 fret version), but some versions have too many of the frets buried in the body, some have clunky neck heels. Playing when seated isn't an issue; you just drape the crotch of the V over your right leg and play it in a classical position.

The Explorer's upper fret access is a bit more problematic -- there's the long lower bout horn that can get in the way of the side of your hand if you have large paws (I do), so you end up rotating your hand to get to the upper frets. On Gibson-style models (or bolt necks) there's also the clunky neck heel to deal with. Playing it sitting down is no big deal.

Carvin's V220 has an Explorer-ish design that makes a bit more sense. You get a full 24-fret board with great upper fret access by simply reversing the body (longer bout on top). It also relocates the guitar's fretboard when you're standing. And since the V220 is a neck-through with a smooth neck heel, there's no chunky neck heel to deal with at all.

Are you seriously considering buying a guitar TS? You've made a similar thread about Les Pauls and now you're going on about Explorers and Vs.

You can get these guitars with similar setups and one isn't really better than the other. The V doesn't have a cutaway in the way of your playing hand but the Explorer cutaway is pretty deep anyway and isn't much of a hindrance IMO.

Which one do you prefer? That's the right one.

I agree with TOODEEPBLUE as well. Swapping pickups before you play the guitar isn't wise.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Bmullet00

Most of my guitars have their original pickups (or whatever it came with when I bought it). I've never subscribed to the idea that you need to have all your guitars sound the same. That's seriously boring. Quite the opposite -- I'm really after guitars that have distinct personalities/sounds.

The V in my post is an exception, as is the Explorer (or whatever you'd call it now). The V came with SD Invaders. Just nasty pickups, leastways in that guitar. What you see in it now are Tom Andersons. The Explorer was originally assembled specifically as a pickup test bed, so it's seen maybe 20-25 sets (and variations on those sets). The ones in the photo are INFs, but they were there for about two days. There were SD AHB-1's in it for a long time, but I think there's a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge and maybe an SD P-Rail in the neck position at the moment. Next up are some Arcanes (handwounds by the guy who does pickups for Trussarts).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've played both and own a 2011 V.

The guitar rips. Pickups are awesome. Never played a guitar with a neck more comfortable. Amazingly lightweight.

Considering putting new pickups in any guitar before you even buy it is always foolish. How do you know if you're actually going to like the stock pickups if you don't even own the guitar yet?

Well its not like I dont try them out first, I just havent found any that are as good I guess, most the time ill get the guitar and play around with it and a few days later ill make whatever mods i might want, most of the time ill put a bare nuckle of some sort in the bridge, but ive never owned a 500t so I might not want to.
Last edited by Bmullet00 at Apr 18, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you seriously considering buying a guitar TS? You've made a similar thread about Les Pauls and now you're going on about Explorers and Vs.

Well since everyone is some what curious about why I get so much gear, I can afford it, I just ordered an LP, I like Vs and Explorers so im thinking about getting one, its just me having some fun
It wasnt about affording it so much as if youre just jerking our chain or not. Sometimes users come in and make the same threads over and over again and I just wanted to make sure this wasnt the case. Nothing wrong with buying a lot of guitars
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It wasnt about affording it so much as if youre just jerking our chain or not. Sometimes users come in and make the same threads over and over again and I just wanted to make sure this wasnt the case. Nothing wrong with buying a lot of guitars

Yeah Im not like that, I normally buy a lot of stuff and sell it all, but im kinda sick of doing that so Im just gonna get a few guitars and a few amps and keep them, thats why ive been asking a lot of questions, I dont wanna end up getting something thats shit and end up returning it
Quote by Bmullet00
Yeah Im not like that, I normally buy a lot of stuff and sell it all, but im kinda sick of doing that so Im just gonna get a few guitars and a few amps and keep them, thats why ive been asking a lot of questions, I dont wanna end up getting something thats shit and end up returning it

doesn't sound like you have a very clear idea of what you want out of your gear. i'd give that some thought and then ask about guitars etc that will help you meet your goals.
V's have better neck access, explorers are easier to play sitting down. I guess those are true for some people. I don't notice so much anymore, so I feel both of those complaints are overblown.

The differences I've noticed are that in the case of the explorer and v shaped guitars that I own, the V's tend to feel like they're lighter weight and the explorers feel conspicuously well balanced (although bad strap button placement, like on the epiphone '58 model may hurt that). My stock Explorer and V both have the 496r/500t set. The neck on the explorer feels very slightly wider and flatter and it's tone is very slightly fatter. Like slight enough I need to a/b/a/b/a/b them to be sure so it's just as likely down to those specific guitars than the model overall.

I think it comes down to feel with those. Which one is more comfortable to you and in what way, because every guitar is some kind of trade-off. I ended up preferring explorers a little. Heavier, but really well-balanced and the knob and switch placement was a little better for me at the time I bought them with my wild, flailing playing style. I have gotten to where I don't really care for the 500t. It's too hot for me, but I've left those alone, because as dspellman says, why would I want every guitar I have to sound the same?
Quote by monwobobbo
doesn't sound like you have a very clear idea of what you want out of your gear. i'd give that some thought and then ask about guitars etc that will help you meet your goals.

I do I just come across that way I put a lot of thought and time into buying guitars.
Quote by Bmullet00
I do I just come across that way I put a lot of thought and time into buying guitars.

but then you get bored and flip them seems to be what you are saying. if you want to find guitar (amps etc) that are going to stick with you which is what you are saying now then it seems like you need a clear picture of what specs etc will work for you. i don't get that vibe at all. you buy nice guitars but they seem more like flavour of the the month than life long partners.
Quote by monwobobbo
but then you get bored and flip them seems to be what you are saying. if you want to find guitar (amps etc) that are going to stick with you which is what you are saying now then it seems like you need a clear picture of what specs etc will work for you. i don't get that vibe at all. you buy nice guitars but they seem more like flavour of the the month than life long partners.

You gotta point, ill think about it, cheers
If money wasn't an object id buy all the guitars that caught my eye as well.

Iv got an explorer and love it, someday I plan on getting a v as well but I also want a second explorer (for a different tuning) both are great guitars. I ended up putting Emgs in mine because I fell in love with the way te het set sounded but I could have been happy with the 500t if I wasn't able to swap them.
Get BOTH.

I love both of these guitars. Contrary to what some people are saying here, I feel that Vs are the MOST comfortable design to play while sitting down. For my first 16 years of playing guitar, I played standing up primarily. I can't stand playing the way a lot of people do -- with the guitar on their right knee, neck almost parallel to the floor. How many people actually hold their guitars that way while standing? Standing is more like the classical position; neck angled up. Hence, the Flying V design. Balance the 'wings' on your right leg, angle that neck up, and viola! It feels the same sitting as it does standing. No more cramping/neck aches in the right shoulder area for me -- which is what happens if I try to play in the "modern" stance sitting down.

Anyway, they're both badass designs, aesthetically and from a fret-access standpoint (Vs are a little better in that regard though). I also like the fact that they are not what everyone, their mother, and their mother's dog owns **coughsuperstratshapecough***.
Last edited by KailM at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by KailM
Get BOTH.

I love both of these guitars. Contrary to what some people are saying here, I feel that Vs are the MOST comfortable design to play while sitting down. For my first 16 years of playing guitar, I played standing up primarily. I can't stand playing the way a lot of people do -- with the guitar on their right knee, neck almost parallel to the floor. How many people actually hold their guitars that way while standing? Standing is more like the classical position; neck angled up. Hence, the Flying V design. Balance the 'wings' on your right leg, angle that neck up, and viola! It feels the same sitting as it does standing. No more cramping/neck aches in the right shoulder area for me -- which is what happens if I try to play in the "modern" stance sitting down.

Anyway, they're both badass designs, aesthetically and from a fret-access standpoint (Vs are a little better in that regard though). I also like the fact that they are not what everyone, their mother, and their mother's dog owns **coughsuperstratshapecough***.

I agree on the fact that the V is a great guitar to sit down with, I dont get why everyone bitches about it, I prefer it
I think most people aren't used to the classical position when sitting so Vs can be a bit unwieldy. I think they're fine to play as well (I have 2).

I don't find my explorer uncomfortable though. It sits in my lap fine.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Personally, I'd go for the Explorer, but that's mainly because I have an Explorer...

Since I took that picture, I've replaced the knobs with black knurled metal ones that look much better
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Apr 19, 2015,
So this has become a show-off-your-Explorer-and-Flying V thread?

I'm cool with that.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So this has become a show-off-your-Explorer-and-Flying V thread?

I'm cool with that.

Nice

380 bucks of gibson gothic goodness. OHSC too. i got really lucky on it. its really dirty though .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Since we're showing off V's and Explorers here's my Gibby. Also TS you need a V!

ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by ltdguy27
Since we're showing off V's and Explorers here's my Gibby.

That ESP