Page 1 of 2
So not sure if this is the correct place but yeah.
A friend of mine listens to music and plays the guitar. He listens to music like 3 hours in a row. I can't understand the point of that. Like isn't it starting to get out of hands if you're listening to music for 3 hours in a row and just sitting on a chair?

I don't know why but it's starting to annoy me. Like, shouldn't people have something else to do than just the same routine everyday? If you only play the guitar and listen to music doesn't it "melt" your brains? I notice my friend repeating things like questions asked a day ago. Asking and talking about things almost with the exactly same words. Like let's say my friend calls me today and says that he just ate a cake. Then tomorrow he'd say "I ate cake yesterday". A bad example but anyways..
I don't see anything wrong with it. I probably listen to music a solid three hours a day as well, if not more. Got to feed your ear some music, especially if you intend to play that music/style.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I don't see anything wrong with it. I probably listen to music a solid three hours a day as well, if not more. Got to feed your ear some music, especially if you intend to play that music/style.

Agreed. I only listen like 20 min nowadays. Should listen more. :S
Quote by Elintasokas
Agreed. I only listen like 20 min nowadays. Should listen more. :S

Yeah, i listen much in the car to/from work. I started listening heavily when driving when i realized i could learn so much in that time where i was really not doing anything besides driving. So i am learning to sing all the solos/basslines/vocal parts etc, so when i get home i know them and just have to find them on the guitar. Still keeping a sharp eye on the road though.

I guess i am blessed as well having so many different gigs on a regular basis, so i have to listen to the songs to learn them. It is always great to expand your taste in music as well, so i am not complaining about listening to everything from Spice Girls to Charlie Parker and back.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
mate folks here will do that for whole days

i mean thats like 3 albums in a row?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Not sure if I'm getting you. Does he listen to music and do stuff, or does he listen to music and just focus on the music for 3 hours?

I listen to music more than half the time I'm using the computer. That puts me at about 3-4 hours of music listened per day.
Weird question. I listen to music for about 40 minutes on my way to work and back, and home I could listen to music for a few more hours. When I was younger and less busy I could just blast music for 6 hours straight, and I always focus on the music. I might play PC or something on the same time, but that's just to give me something to do while I listen, I'm not the type to sit idly.

So 3 hours is definitely normal. I love listening to full albums, so any less would be really limiting. I dont see why it should annoy you.
I spend many of my evenings just sipping good tea and listening to music for hours at a time. So no, it's not abnormal.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Apr 18, 2015,
Your friend sounds like he's not doing it enough, in fairness.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Apparently one of you understood. He just sits and listens to the music doing NOTHING else. Would be a different thing walking or just doing something..
well that means he can focus on the music in its entirety. Do you play scrabble when you go to the movies or text when you go to an art gallery?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 18, 2015,
Quote by Billie_J
Apparently one of you understood. He just sits and listens to the music doing NOTHING else. Would be a different thing walking or just doing something..

Yeah, i understood what you meant. I do that as well, there is nothing wrong with it.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by Banjocal
well that means he can focus on the music in its entirety. Do you play scrabble when you go to the movies or text when you go to an art gallery?

Well, maybe the art gallery one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Billie_J

Apparently you are new to the concept of enjoying music for its own sake.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I walk a lot when I'm listenin to music. Doesn't mean I wouldn't concentrate on it 100%. As I said, I don't like sitting idly, not in any circumstance. So, I basically do exactly what your friend does. And it's completely normal. Weird to even think that there's something wrong.
Quote by Billie_J

Do you watch TV?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you listen to too much music it can lower your hearing threshold, as well as make your brain less creative because it gets programmed to only the music youre listening to so i would suggest to not listen to music longer than an hour, at most
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
if you listen to too much music it can lower your hearing threshold, as well as make your brain less creative because it gets programmed to only the music youre listening to so i would suggest to not listen to music longer than an hour, at most

lolwut
its true there is scientific research on it
it's all coming back

The answer: Maybe he's just giving the music his full attention, nothing wrong with that.

The other answer: Maybe he should be practicing instead, something wrong with that.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Kevätuhri
Well, you know, vaccinations cause autism.
once i injected an entire marijuana joint and now im a terrorist
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The only problem is the habit of listning is keeping the person from not growing and being aware of other areas in his life where he or she has to be creative to a point.

Like earning your living in life.
Don't talk about TV or movies because it's different. It's like comparing staring at a pen for 3 hours and watching LOTR.

But obviously, like described in my first opening post, it might affect
things. Like if you ask the same question multiple times a week and such.
i have stared at walls for hours on end and it was pretty great

not even lying
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
i have stared at walls for hours on end and it was pretty great

not even lying
Try doing it with La Monte Young or something. He used to have a light installation he worked with.

Quote by Billie_J
Don't talk about TV or movies because it's different. It's like comparing staring at a pen for 3 hours and watching LOTR.
It's perfectly apposite
Quote by EndTheRapture51
So next time instead of going to see a movie you'd pull a pen from your sleeve and stare at it for the film's duration?

People were saying that we watch TV for 3 hours and nothing bad in that. - True

Think of it like this: your friend tells you
A) "I watched TV for 3 hours yesterday"
B) "I was staring at a pen for 3 hours yesterday"

Now I doubt you'd be surprised with option A but option B might cause a bit of "wat".
Last edited by Billie_J at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by Billie_J

No it's not it's exactly the same. Listening to music for 3 hours is no different to to watching TV for 3 hours, or reading for 3 hours.

Notice how I didn't ask if you read...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Billie_J

what are you talking about? Watching a movie is how we consume the medium of film. Listening to music is how we consume the medium of music. They're literally the exact same thing.
Have it your way. But what we've been discussing recently is not what I meant to put under discussion.

Again, if I talk with him today. He tells me "I bought this jacket today", it might be he tells me the same thing tomorrow. Fictive but should clarify this a bit.

If one stares at a pen for 3 hours or listens to music for 6 hours in a row or marathons all the GoT seasons in a row without experiencing any mental problems, then one shall do it.
Quote by Billie_J
So next time instead of going to see a movie you'd pull a pen from your sleeve and stare at it for the film's duration?

People were saying that we watch TV for 3 hours and nothing bad in that. - True

Think of it like this: your friend tells you
A) "I watched TV for 3 hours yesterday"
B) "I was staring at a pen for 3 hours yesterday"

Now I doubt you'd be surprised with option A but option B might cause a bit of "wat".

Sounds like you don't like to discuss music as much as your friend so you want him to talk about things you like more, like Extreme Home Makeovers or something on E!.

I've had conversations on the albums I've listened to in a day with friends who find listening to and discussing music to be a great thing, so I don't think this problem is as much of an issue as you think it is.

If one stares at a pen for 3 hours or listens to music for 6 hours in a row or marathons all the GoT seasons in a row without experiencing any mental problems, then one shall do it.

I'm doing this right now and I'm currently on season 3's finale. Doin just fine.
So, because music isn't stimulating to the eyes that means it'll cause neurological problems? What's with the "staring at a pen" bullshit? If you're just listening to music then that means you're not staring at anything. Whenever I get a new album that I really want to soak in I sit with my eyes closed and listen to the whole thing. Music listening is an auditory form of entertainment.

Him repeating questions or telling you things multiple times has nothing to do with his music listening causing brain problems and everything to do with him having no idea what else to talk to you about since you obviously don't understand the concept of music beyond it being background noise and that's where his focus is right now.
I'm not claiming that listening to music has severe effects on brains. But if we go back a year or two, (back when he wasn't listening to music that much) there were no such things like repeating and forgetting things.

And in general no matter what you do, everything can be bad if done too much. Be it cycling, studying or just any hobby.

Don't have to start a fight over a question nor focus on me. You don't have to start throwing statements about me and what I think of music. If I have claimed it to be background noise or anything like that, please, tell me when.

I started the topic and thought that the discussion would be neutral without useless arguing. People can think w/e they will.

And then, doubt you've been watching 25 hours of GoT in a row D:
Last edited by Billie_J at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by Billie_J
And then, doubt you've been watching 25 hours of GoT in a row D:

You know nothing, Billie J
Quote by Billie_J
I'm not claiming that listening to music has severe effects on brains. But if we go back a year or two, (back when he wasn't listening to music that much) there were no such things like repeating and forgetting things.

Hahahaha. Yeah, you're right; music causes cognitive problems and should be banned. I'm sure his problems are related to music listening. Yep.........

And I just had a massive deja vu. And now I had a massive deja vu from writing that. Damn.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Apr 19, 2015,
lol wtf happened to this thread
ts confirmed as crazy
it's all coming back

This shit was crazy from the first post. How can someone honestly think sounds arranged in a pleasing manner (music) can have adverse effects on your brain?

The dude probably started smoking weed the same time he started listening to so much music and thats why he repeats himself.
Page 1 of 2