I'm looking for a guitar that comes/came stock with a Kahler (specifically, a flat mount style, not the steeler, or anything that functions more or less like a floyd - I already have a guitar with a floyd, a gotoh unit)

I would prefer an older used a guitar that sells for a decent price used (like the old USA Peaveys and the like. I don't want to spend a fortune, and I don't intend to buy it right away, just want to know what to look for, and what guitars would be reasonably priced. I baby my guitars, so big dents and chips do bother me, but I know it's possible to get a good price on an older guitar that isn't banged up. (The guitar I installed the Gotoh floyd on is the samick in my profile picture [the gotoh wasn't on it when I took the picture] is a 1984, and I got it for next to nothing)
My NJ series BC Rich Ironbird had a Kahler, I bought it second hand in 1988 so it was probably a coupel of years old.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the jerry cantrell rampages do
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
G&L had quite a few models that had Kahler on the option list
1985/6 Broadcaster, ASAT , Rampage , Climax and Super Hawk to name a few
Quote by guitar42697
I'm looking for a guitar that comes/came stock with a Kahler (specifically, a flat mount style, not the steeler, or anything that functions more or less like a floyd - I already have a guitar with a floyd, a gotoh unit)

You'll generally find them on guitars built prior to about 1990. Kahler was sold off, went through some difficult times, pretty much disappeared for a while, and has only relatively recently reappeared. During the period from about 1990 until about five-six years ago, manufacturers weren't including them on guitars.

Prior to that, you'll find them on a LOT of guitars, including those by Carvin, Ibanez, Gibson and more. I have two Carvins from around 1988-1989 that have Kahlers. They are not, by the way, a "flat mount" trem. There IS a rout required to put them on a guitar, though there's no spring cavity in the back of the guitar. Here's one on my late '80's pearl white V220:

just about any guitars from charvel or bc rich from the mid 80s had them. actually most guitars from that time period except kramer had them if it had a locking trem. floyds came on kramer (and a few high end guitars) only as a stock item. you should have no problem finding one on ebay.
Quote by dspellman
...They are not, by the way, a "flat mount" trem. There IS a rout required to put them on a guitar, though there's no spring cavity in the back of the guitar...

OP, if you're really set on a flat mount, you might be able to find a used Washburn from the 80's with a Wonderbar/Washburn 2000 trem. Those are totally flat mounted. 4 Big wood screws hold them onto the top of the guitar. They work alright, and were meant to allow you to set a different amount of pitch drop on each spring, but if you break a part on one you're kinda screwed because the company that made those units went under and you have to go hunt for someone selling old parts.
Quote by dspellman
They are not, by the way, a "flat mount" trem. There IS a rout required to put them on a guitar, though there's no spring cavity in the back of the guitar.

Yeah, I know there's a route, but kahler themselves calls that model the flatmount. I specified flatmount because I know they had things like the steeler, and I'm not interested in another two post them (mostly because I want to try something different, and all my guitars with trems have bridges that are based around the strat trem (I've got strat trems, Wilkinsons and Floyds)
Quote by guitar42697
Yeah, I know there's a route, but kahler themselves calls that model the flatmount. I specified flatmount because I know they had things like the steeler, and I'm not interested in another two post them (mostly because I want to try something different, and all my guitars with trems have bridges that are based around the strat trem (I've got strat trems, Wilkinsons and Floyds)

That's not really what distinguishes a flat mount.

A Flat Mount simply screws to the top of a flat guitar. A Stud Mount utilizes a pair of tailpiece studs. They're both the same cam-based trem.

The Steeler, Killer and Spyder models were fulcrum-style trems that, like a Floyd/Wilkinson/Fender, had a spring box rout in the back of the guitar.

What you want is a cam-based Kahler trem as opposed to a fulcrum-based trem.

I'd suggest that you look at the newer hybrid models, which can be locked down to work like a hard tail when you don't need the trem functions, and which can then be unlocked to work like the usual cam-based Kahler trem.

Usually the best place to find these is at wammiworld.com, and they provide a lot of tech support as well.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 21, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
That's not really what distinguishes a flat mount.

A Flat Mount simply screws to the top of a flat guitar. A Stud Mount utilizes a pair of tailpiece studs. They're both the same cam-based trem.

The Steeler, Killer and Spyder models were fulcrum-style trems that, like a Floyd/Wilkinson/Fender, had a spring box rout in the back of the guitar.

What you want is a cam-based Kahler trem as opposed to a fulcrum-based trem.

Yeah, I know what they all are. I do a lot of research, just wanted suggestions regarding guitars that come stock with them, the tailpiece stud mounted kahler is technically regarded as a retrofit, only really came stock on a couple of gibsons in the 80s, before they decided to just use the regular flat mount. I stated flat mount because I know that's the most common.
Peavey made a series of guitars a few years back that featured kahlers (sorry at work can't remember the model).

ebay to the resuce it was the PXD series. there is a Tomb 1 on ebay rihgt now.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Apr 21, 2015,