Currently I have a ibanez rgr320sp and a esp viper 50, for playing them I use a m audio UX1 through pod farm and I have a really old amp that doesn't do much. What's the best way for me to upgrade...pickups, amp, etc? I'm not sure what to look for and such but I play a lot of classic rock, hair metal and some drop tuned things
well do you play in a band?
what do you think you need to gain sound wise?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well do you play in a band?
what do you think you need to gain sound wise?

Nah I play alone just jam along to my favorite songs, sound wise I'm not really sure I just figured an upgrade wouldn't hurt
If your only playing at home and your happy with using POD farm, I'd say maybe look at a new guitar.

You could do a few mods to the EC-50, but don't go crazy because it is a cheap guitar. Maybe a new bridge pickup and some better tuners. I use www.guitarfetish.com and have had good luck with their pickups and hardware
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your only playing at home and your happy with using POD farm, I'd say maybe look at a new guitar.

You could do a few mods to the EC-50, but don't go crazy because it is a cheap guitar. Maybe a new bridge pickup and some better tuners. I use www.guitarfetish.com and have had good luck with their pickups and hardware

Yeah I was looking at a few new guitars but everyone said don't bother buying another entry level guitar (can't afford next up) so I was seeing the best way to upgrade haha
Like Rob said, if you are generally happy with Pod Farm and just wanna spend $100 or so, then better pickups might be an OK idea. Before that though, consider getting some of the Pod Farm expansion packs. Especially the metal one. I've been looking to do this as well as I have Pod Farm and a UX1. I only really use it for recording though.
You're not going to really notice any substantial benefit from upgrading pickups through POD Farm. The problems that make you want to upgrade will still be there after the pickup swap. There are far better guitars out there than that Ibanez and LTD. They're pretty cheap guitars and you could get something quite a bit better depending on your budget.

POD farm is okay, but I'd rather have a POD HD for playing at home
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll check out pod hd and those expansion packs
For practicing at home, you already have a decent enough set up.

Save your money so you've got a better budget when you actually need something.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by evmac
You're not going to really notice any substantial benefit from upgrading pickups through POD Farm.

Normally I would agree with you but taking out the crappy 'duncan designed' pups for some real pups was a very good investment for me - no matter what I play through. Generally better clarity.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Normally I would agree with you but taking out the crappy 'duncan designed' pups for some real pups was a very good investment for me - no matter what I play through. Generally better clarity.

POD farm just won't really "see" the improved pups. even with a regular POD they just don't seem to care much about what pickups are in a guitar. i can interchange my strats when recording and the tone will be pretty much the same through my POD. through an amp big difference but not the POD. just saying.
Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about my POD HD. It's the fact I can play a Tele through it and then my Les Paul and the difference between the two is a lot less than it should be.

The clarity may improve a bit but it's not going to be satisfying enough to keep him happy for long.

For me the foundation of a good rig is a solid guitar. I wouldn't necessarily say the ones he has are in that category. He could sell em both and buy a nice AL-2000 (depending on where he lives) or something and use his POD farm until he gets some more money for an amp.

Really to move this further we need more info on what he feels his current setup is lacking and and what his budget is.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP