Hey guys. I have been looking into buying a Halo guitar. They have a model currently for sale that has a fanned fret system but mounts the pickups like a normal guitar. (pics below) How would this approach effect the tone of the guitar? I was going to buy this guitar and then swap the pickups for BKP Juggernauts. However, if this approach to mounting with a fanned fret system will have an ultimately detrimental effect on tone, then I will most likely just order one with a traditional fret configuration and an evertune. Thoughts?

Last edited by cheosamad at Apr 18, 2015,
Why not get an Agile from www.rondomusic.com

There have been some horror stories about Halo so I wouldn't chance it. Agiles are known for being great value and quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why not get an Agile from www.rondomusic.com

There have been some horror stories about Halo so I wouldn't chance it. Agiles are known for being great value and quality

I sold my Agile. It was okay but I didn't like the bridge or the finish. I think it would have been better if I got rid of the EMGs in it but I never bothered. I've heard plenty of mixed review from Halo both good and bad. I really only want it because of the combination of parts for the price.
There's been some horror storys about agile as well. I'm not really sure who's better to go with today. Agile also doesn't do fanned 6s as far as I know.

in theory the closer to the bridge the brighter the the sound. Some guitars angle there pickups With straight frets for this effect.

I have a fanned fret guitar with straight pickups and wouldn't say it effects the tone negatively at all. I would go for it if I I didn't already have a guitar on its way.
Quote by mhanbury2
There's been some horror storys about agile as well. I'm not really sure who's better to go with today. Agile also doesn't do fanned 6s as far as I know.

in theory the closer to the bridge the brighter the the sound. Some guitars angle there pickups With straight frets for this effect.

I have a fanned fret guitar with straight pickups and wouldn't say it effects the tone negatively at all. I would go for it if I I didn't already have a guitar on its way.

That's helpful. I don't know if the lost brightness on the lower strings from being further from the bridge would be good or bad. I'm going for a (please no hate) Periphery sort of sound. Say what you want about the band or that sort of music, but they have by far my favorite sort of guitar sounds and it's what I'm shooting for. I think with some amp dialing I might be able to compensate for any lost brightness on the bridge pickup.
As far as multiscale with straight pups, you may risk the bridge pickup becoming muddy on the lower strings or harsh on the higher strings. Or both. If you want a multiscale, I'd definitely get slanted pickups.

As for Halo's quality, they have actually put out a lot of good guitars in the past year or so. I've seen several excellent NGD threads over on Sevenstring.org from them. I considered getting one myself but in the end what I wanted vs how much I was willing to spend didn't line up. They are built and mostly assembled in China but the final setup and QC inspection is done in California by Jeff Lee and he crew. Jeff took over the company recently and really changed the brand top to bottom.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
As far as multiscale with straight pups, you may risk the bridge pickup becoming muddy on the lower strings or harsh on the higher strings. Or both. If you want a multiscale, I'd definitely get slanted pickups.

As for Halo's quality, they have actually put out a lot of good guitars in the past year or so. I've seen several excellent NGD threads over on Sevenstring.org from them. I considered getting one myself but in the end what I wanted vs how much I was willing to spend didn't line up. They are built and mostly assembled in China but the final setup and QC inspection is done in California by Jeff Lee and he crew. Jeff took over the company recently and really changed the brand top to bottom.

I've known about them for a while and from what I've found on the internet their recent track record has been pretty good. I think for the price I can expect a good instrument from them. That being said, since the fanned frets could potentially have a negative effect on the tone I'm going for, I'm leaning toward the evertune.
I'm not sure that slanted or straight pickups are going to make much of a difference on a six-string fan-fret guitar. On something with more range, like an 8, certainly.

I'm pretty sure you're way overthinking tone issues with regard to fanned frets, tilted pickups and tone on a six-string. Unless you've had experience with Evertune bridges before, and really love them, I'd suggest steering clear.

You seem to be operating ONLY on Internet blather regarding any of these options, including the brand of the guitar. Probably not a great idea.
Quote by mhanbury2

I'd take an Agile over a Halo anyday of the week.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that slanted or straight pickups are going to make much of a difference on a six-string fan-fret guitar. On something with more range, like an 8, certainly.

I'm pretty sure you're way overthinking tone issues with regard to fanned frets, tilted pickups and tone on a six-string. Unless you've had experience with Evertune bridges before, and really love them, I'd suggest steering clear.

You seem to be operating ONLY on Internet blather regarding any of these options, including the brand of the guitar. Probably not a great idea.

I really have no way to try any guitars in store. The nearest guitar store is about an hour away and only carries the obvious major brands like Fender and Ibanez so for anything slightly out of the ordinary I really just have to take a chance and hope I enjoy it. It's worked out okay thus far.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd take an Agile over a Halo anyday of the week.

I owned one for the last few months. It was cool but it eventually started to collect dust as it was out shined by some of my other gear. Great bang for the buck. (Honestly I don't think any one can beat the components they come packed with for the money if I'm being honest) However I'm ready for something different. If it ends up being not to my liking I simply resell and move on until I find something I want to stick with for a bit. Just how I like to do things.
In the end you need to be happy, it is your money after all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate