Has anyone here had any experience with Aftershock Cabs? I wanted to maybe buy a 2x12 from them because I think the LED system on their cabinets looks pretty cool. Has anyone bought from them before? Thoughts on build quality and overall sound?
Quote by cheosamad
Has anyone here had any experience with Aftershock Cabs? I wanted to maybe buy a 2x12 from them because I think the LED system on their cabinets looks pretty cool. Has anyone bought from them before? Thoughts on build quality and overall sound?

You're really going for the gimmicky choices, ain't ya?

Fan frets on a six string, worried over tilted pickups, Evertune bridges and now an LED lightshow on a single small cabinet.
Quote by dspellman

Fan frets on a six string, worried over tilted pickups, Evertune bridges and now an LED lightshow on a single small cabinet.

Just asking if they make quality cabinets for what they cost, not for judgement haha. But yes, that stuff interests me more then the standard kit and caboodle. Nothings wrong with the more traditional stuff, but this sort of flare is more my taste if that makes sense.
Last edited by cheosamad at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by dspellman

LED lights on a cab? Yeah, gimmicky. Evertune or fanned frets that actually serve a functional purpose on a guitar? No, not gimmicky.

OP, I think you'd be better off with just a plain old cab from say Avatar or buying a used Mesa/Orange cab. I think I vaguely remember these cabs being good, but the LEDs are just plain dumb imho. And these are expensive, even their "sale" cabs that seem to be just dead stock are selling for $500 empty, then loaded with V30s is $700.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
LED lights on a cab? Yeah, gimmicky. Evertune or fanned frets that actually serve a functional purpose on a guitar? No, not gimmicky.

OP, I think you'd be better off with just a plain old cab from say Avatar or buying a used Mesa/Orange cab. I think I vaguely remember these cabs being good, but the LEDs are just plain dumb imho. And these are expensive, even their "sale" cabs that seem to be just dead stock are selling for $500 empty, then loaded with V30s is $700.

The only reason I really bring them up is because they have a sale cab thats I believe 450 unloaded and about 760 loaded after shipping. This is only like 40 dollars more then the Mesa 2x12 loaded with V30s that I was going to buy used so I figured it was worth asking about them. If not then there are always the Orange PPC212-C 2x12 cabinets that you can get for about 750 shipped or even the PCP212-OB that also have V30s and are 600 shipped.
Quote by cheosamad
Just asking if they make quality cabinets for what they cost, not for judgement haha. But yes, that stuff interests me more then the standard kit and caboodle. Nothings wrong with the more traditional stuff, but this sort of flare is more my taste if that makes sense.

Sorry, I guess "gimmicky" has a judgmental flavor, and that probably wouldn't be the word I'd choose at a different time of day.

But you ARE asking us to be judgmental when it comes to at least two aspects of the cabinets, and in the other thread, you're asking for opinions (which require judgment and some experience) on the guitar end of things. And, ultimately, you seem far less on a quest for tone than for something new in your toybox. Your threads show you burning through some pretty decent gear when you tire of a finish, and you plan pickup/speaker swaps before you have the new gear in front of you. That's not a judgment; that's just your observable pattern.

I haven't tried Aftershock cabinets. They're simply carpenters. They'll build you whatever you like out of 3/4" birch plywood and they'll include disco lighting (I actually see DJ's using this more than guitarists). In the case of a 2x12 with the usual speaker choices, there's nothing of interest sonically. Assuming they have even minimal competence with wood assembly, these should sound pretty much in the ballpark of anything else. Beyond that it's all about cosmetics.
I have seen a few of their 4x12's floating around in Orlando,Fl (that is where they are made) and advertising on my local Clist.

They want to be an Emperor style company
http://emperorcabs.com/

I don't like the light show ones, but if you can get them without I'd do that. Personally look at www.avatarspeakers.com or www.ampfactory.com/whitebox/

If you really want an inexpensive cab that is decent, this is an Orange PPC212 styled cab $139.99 with free shipping
www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/empty-orange-guitar-cabinet-2x12/p/Luke-2x12C_ORWH
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Sorry, I guess "gimmicky" has a judgmental flavor, and that probably wouldn't be the word I'd choose at a different time of day.

But you ARE asking us to be judgmental when it comes to at least two aspects of the cabinets, and in the other thread, you're asking for opinions (which require judgment and some experience) on the guitar end of things. And, ultimately, you seem far less on a quest for tone than for something new in your toybox. Your threads show you burning through some pretty decent gear when you tire of a finish, and you plan pickup/speaker swaps before you have the new gear in front of you. That's not a judgment; that's just your observable pattern.

I haven't tried Aftershock cabinets. They're simply carpenters. They'll build you whatever you like out of 3/4" birch plywood and they'll include disco lighting (I actually see DJ's using this more than guitarists). In the case of a 2x12 with the usual speaker choices, there's nothing of interest sonically. Assuming they have even minimal competence with wood assembly, these should sound pretty much in the ballpark of anything else. Beyond that it's all about cosmetics.

Fair enough. I guess it's just how I am as a person since it's pretty much my attitude with anything both guitar related and not for better or for worse. Anyway, I'll keep that in mind. Luckily I don't have a time constraint so I don't have to pull the trigger right away.

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have seen a few of their 4x12's floating around in Orlando,Fl (that is where they are made) and advertising on my local Clist.

They want to be an Emperor style company
http://emperorcabs.com/

I don't like the light show ones, but if you can get them without I'd do that. Personally look at www.avatarspeakers.com or www.ampfactory.com/whitebox/

If you really want an inexpensive cab that is decent, this is an Orange PPC212 styled cab $139.99 with free shipping
www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/empty-orange-guitar-cabinet-2x12/p/Luke-2x12C_ORWH

Wow. Literally everything you sent me seems like a good alternative (except emperor, their site is down at the moment so I can't comment on them). The Avatar in particular seems to have an incredibly competitive price on a 4x12 with Vintage 30s. With a 4x12 maybe I can even go with 2 different types of speakers to compliment one another?
Thank you for sending me this this changes things quite a bit. Avatars prices are simply too competitive to be ignored.
Last edited by cheosamad at Apr 19, 2015,
Quote by darkwolf291
Not to mention they're great cabs
If you wanna go 412 with two different types, depending on the music you play, I'd recommend G12s and V30s

Mostly heavey driven sort of metal. That's actually the same combination some of the local players I know have recommended in the past.
Quote by darkwolf291
Then aye, G12 and V30s
I'm running them together in my 212 and they sound great together

Very quick question but it's a bit of a confusing one to me.
The Ohm description for the Peavey 6505 plus says and I quote ' 120 watts RMS into 16, 8 or 4 ohm'
Does this mean it's appropriate to run the Amp with any Cab that has 4 8 or 16 Ohm Impedance? Avatar has an option for 4 8 16 or multijack under the configuration tab? Which one do I go with as to not blow up anything?
Quote by darkwolf291
Aye, the 6505 can use a 4, 8, or 16 ohm cab with no problem, so it doesn't really matter which you choose.

Oh okay good. Thank you.
huh? i just went on there and priced out my exact avtar cab basically for 470 loaded with WGSs. thats pretty much what i paid for avatar!

now, same specs. i didnt get all wood, and i didnt get lights. that would be very expensive, as it should be.

but they are right on teh money. about 450-500 for a loaded, solid 3/4 inch birch box with cutom choices and premo speakers? heck yeah. hard to beat that.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
huh? i just went on there and priced out my exact avtar cab basically for 470 loaded with WGSs. thats pretty much what i paid for avatar!

now, same specs. i didnt get all wood, and i didnt get lights. that would be very expensive, as it should be.

but they are right on teh money. about 450-500 for a loaded, solid 3/4 inch birch box with cutom choices and premo speakers? heck yeah. hard to beat that.

You own an Avatar? How long was the waiting time from ordering from them to them finishing building it and getting it shipped to you?
Quote by cheosamad
You own an Avatar? How long was the waiting time from ordering from them to them finishing building it and getting it shipped to you?

A few days at most 2-4 days. Call them and ask their lead time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 20, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
A few days at most 2-4 days. Call them and ask their lead time

Oh wow that's shockingly quick. I was expecting like a month of two.
yep i do. below is my new cab day. and i really liked working with them. they did me a few favors like a vertical setup which is not really offered but aparently a common ask and a small change to their design (installing the logo in a different place and screwing in the rubber feet on the end).

yeah a couple of days.

about that negative afterstock link - i get that not getting what you paid for is a bad surprise. however, WGS speakers are generally highly regarded and the veteran 30s are often liked better than celestion v30s. this guy was probably complaining due to a placebo effect - percieved poor tone simply because he was unhappy. that, or the cab itself just sounded bad. and even eminence patriots are highly regarded. not bad at all.

i could have gotten real celestions CHEAPER than my WGSs in teh sense that avatar generally gives you 50% off, about 70 bucks a celestion, but point of sale all at once shipping and taxes would have been cheaper. i personally opted to buy WGS seperately and install them myself. and they sound GREAT! love em. recommend them.

other than getting something with a fancy design or finished wood, i have a hard time thinking i could want more than the avatar. its sturdy as a rock and sounds great.

if i were to buy a higher end cabinet, i would want a feature like tool-less back removal. cause the avatar you basically have to get a power drill and take out like 20-30 huge, very tight woods screws. its a bi*ch and you will be sweating after. about a 2 beer job. however, if thats an indication of how darn sturdy the thing is just to get the darn back of....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1534190&highlight=avatar
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)