Songs that were shockingly not nearly as popular during its release as compared to NO

I am always fascinated by songs that somehow got much more popular over time, than when they were first released. I know there must be tons that achieved this and would love to know more. Do you know any?

Here's a couple from me:

1) Jimmy Hendrix - All of his songs

Jimmy Hendrix was a one hit wonder! I didn't believe it at first when I found that out. Just amazing how popular his songs got after his death....

His only hit was All Along the Watchtower, and the reason it was a hit was because it was a cover of a popular Bob Dylan song. It went to number #20. Its amazing, knowing about him today you expect him to have been huge in his day, which surprisingly wasn't the case.

( For members abroad who might be confused. In America, since the 1950's, the standard for a song being considered a hit is that it must reach the overall American "Top 40". )

2). Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild

Its a very well known song in the rock and metal world. Hell, its in the top 3 most famous Skid Row songs. Yet when it was released, it only reached number #99. For how well known it is that was surprising, especially when 18 and Life reached #4 and I Remember You reached #6.

Youth Gone Wild is the same level of popularity in rock/metal circles as the other 2, yet it didnt compare to them in popularity when it first released. Another fascinating example of a song growing in popularity over time!

You guys got some more examples to share?
Last edited by radiogaga88 at Apr 19, 2015,
I think Neutral Milk Hotel as a band are an example of this, but no particular songs. And maybe just ITAOTS.
Songs that were shockingly not nearly as popular during its release as compared to NO
I can't get no

satisfaction
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Kad moje uši čuju
muziku na struju
tad moje srce bije
u ritmu melodije

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Well I think Darude Sandstorm is the best example you possibly get. That stupid joke that floods the internet has boosted that songs popularity so much its crazy.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Guys, you heard Mr. Sacamano. No fun until racism is over.
Quote by hurricane0202
Well I think Darude Sandstorm is the best example you possibly get. That stupid joke that floods the internet has boosted that songs popularity so much its crazy.

I dunno, it was super popular around 2000
Darude Sandstorm has been the jam since Day 1.

Only example I know is Never Gonna Give You Up. Pretty sure the popularity of internet > braindead people in the 80s making it a hit, as it did get his career up n going again (even though he made NO royalties from youtube ... -_- )
you'll cowards don't even smoke crack

released in 08 by viper when nobody was paying attention fast forward a few years and now everyone tryna jack his style

Quote by MinterMan22
you'll cowards don't even smoke crack

released in 08 by viper when nobody was paying attention fast forward a few years and now everyone tryna jack his style

it was indeed some next level shit
Master Of Puppets wasn't that popular on release, and is now considered a classic.
I'm sure lots of great songs or albums started off slow.
Walk Right In - Gus Cannon's Jug Stompers: wasn't a hit until he was 79 and The Rooftop Singers covered it

the entire Robert Johnson Discography

songs that feature in movies get popular again, I'm thinking of a specific one but I can't put my finger on it.

EDIT: oh yeah, and the entire original Velvet Underground discography.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
laaaaaaaaaa lah lah laaaahhhh

la la laaaa laaaaaaaa la laa

lalalala laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

la la laaaaaaaa

lala laa la lala
jimi hendrix headlined woodstock though. he WAS huge back in his day.. just didn't have #1 hits
Quote by trashbeast
jimi hendrix headlined woodstock though. he WAS huge back in his day.. just didn't have #1 hits

No, he didn't.

And about half the people had gone home when he did play.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
This thread is now about how much of a twat TS is for spelling Jimi Hendrix wrong. That is truly one of the worst sins that one can commit.
Yeah, Sandstorm was ****ing huge when it first came out.

My Bloody Valentine have definitely gotten much more recognition in the last couple years than ever. Even before they released their most recent album. People just finally realized how amazing Loveless is.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
This is usually the part when I open my digital music collection and look for songs that fit the topic but I'll save myself from doing that because I don't really know if I'll find any. But I think the Guitar Hero franchise (which, by the way, according to UG's front page, is making a comeback) did this for loads of songs.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Seven Nation Army
'nough said.
"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
^ Well, it still wasn't quite as popular as it got after the UEFA European Championsship 2008.
Edit: At least not in Europe.
"If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Lewis Carroll
Last edited by pb15994 at Apr 20, 2015,