Hey friends,

So, I have this Les Paul that I'm absolutely into, however, I'm not absolutely into the EMG 81/85 combo that's wedged in there. They're good and all, however, I don't want to play the battery game, and the 25k pots are more on/off switches than tone controls.

That said, I get a pretty hefty discount on all Seymour Duncan pickups. This is awesome because A; it's like half off, and B; SD is my favorite pickup company anyway.

I know a great amount about their single coils from a lot of experience, but the only humbuckers of theirs I ever dealt with were for when it was necessary to drop one into a Strat. Needless to say, this LP's got a bit more ass on her.

The sounds I'm going for: Post Rock and Sludge Metal. Think bands like Pelican, Caspian, Mastodon, This Will Destroy You, etc. The big thing I need is string separation, basically so big dissonant parts don't sound like mushy mess.

Right now my inclination is a P-Rail in the neck and coil split it. I just did this for someone's Strat in the shop two weeks ago and it came out fantastic. Great P90 sound by itself, and the single blade can fake a single coil well enough for the parts it'll be used for.

My biggest question mark is the bridge. Right now, the Pegasus looks fantastic, as it's a high output meant for clarity and string separation. However, I'm afraid it'll sound thin and weak on the clean parts. I was let down with the Invader for this reason, and want to avoid the woes of high gain humbuckers sounding like shit through my Fender.

I A/B a Fender Concert Rivera for cleans and a Peavey Valveking for the dirty. Don't ask about pedals, there's a character limit. I'm not too afraid to go overly heavy with the sound of the LP, I've got plenty of single coil backup.

Recommendations, go!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 19, 2015,
Well a couple options. Another P-Rail would work for you. Look at something that is more modeled on filtron type of pickup might work for you. I don't know Seymour Duncans that well so other players might want to chime in.
My first inclination would be to send an email to SD and describe your plan. I've gotten good info from pickup makers just by talking to them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Second inclination would be to look at a RailHammer Chisel or Anvil; third would be to consider the Lace signature pickups designed for guys like Matt Pike, Bill Kelliher, and Brent Hinds.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Two things:
There are three output levels of P-Rail. SD typifies two of them as bridge pickups and one as a neck pickup. I tried all three and ended up using the middle one (labeled by SD as a bridge pickup) as my neck pickup. I also like the rail coil nearest the fretboard, and SD will actually do one for you that has the logo in the correct position. If I'd thought about it, I'd probably have had SD make a version with the rail coil from the hottest version and the P90 coil from the middle version, and maybe with an A2 magnet (dunno what's under there at the moment).

Modest suggestion for a bridge pickup: get the Suhr Aldrich. The bridge pickup may be one of the best I've used. Don't care for the neck pickup they offer, but that Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup is special. One other option -- if you can find a Gibson '57 aftermarket pickup putting out around 9.2Kohms, give it a try as well. Really nice in the string separation department, and it's hotter than most '57s, and that makes a definite difference. You'll have to sift through a bunch with your multimeter (or have someone do it for you), but they're out there, and they're golden.