Hey guys!
I need help with this one, as I'm quitting guitar once and for all if it isn't solved.
My guitar is never in tune, especially the B string. I was using my phone as a tuner, but recently I bought a tuner and the problem still exists. I took it to my local guitar store, and he adjusted the action, but still no change.

I started to really hate guitar and get frustrated. I really need help!

Thanks in advance!
Define "isn't in tune": do you mean you just can't get the open B to sound in tune or does it go out of tune once you start fretting notes? Does it get worse as you go up the neck? Is it some combination of open notes not sounding in tune and then fretted notes being worse as well? Are your strings very old? What sort of condition is the guitar in generally?

We just need a bit more information to be able to help. Also this is probably the wrong forum for this so I'm going to report the thread: this forum is for the actual process of playing the guitar, it's not really about gear.

Also: I know gear issues can be frustrating but don't let this make you quit: these are more often than not the simplest issues to fix. It can cost a bit of money but these issues can be made to go away pretty simply, rather than having to go through a tonne of practice. Just calm down and once it's sorted you'll wonder why you ever got so frustrated about it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 19, 2015,
This may answer some questions on tuning:
http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/Tuning/tuning.html

Can you still make amazing music with an imperfect" equal tempered instrument? Yes you can.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by vayne92
The first and most obvious question is what guitar do you have?

Oh, sorry. Totally forgot that one!
It's a Cort AD810. It's not the best guitar in the world, but it wasn't that way when I got it.
Imho, If you can quit guitar based on such a small problem, you might as well.
Quote by chin0495
Imho, If you can quit guitar based on such a small problem, you might as well.

Don't be a jerk.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Seriously, I'm not trying to be. Learning a new skill requires motivation (sometimes a lot of it) and if someone can quit because of a simple reason, it's better that he quit because this won't be the last problem he faces.
Back to the original problem:
If you're tuning the string wrong even with the help a tuner, ask someone else to do it for you
If the string goes out of tune when you press a fret but otherwise sounds fine, that means the position of the bridge is messed up because to have proper intonation, the 12th fret should be in the middle of the bridge and the nut. If that's the case, get a new guitar.
Quote by chin0495
Seriously, I'm not trying to be. Learning a new skill requires motivation (sometimes a lot of it) and if someone can quit because of a simple reason, it's better that he quit because this won't be the last problem he faces

It doesn't matter if you're trying to be or not, what you said wasn't an encouraging or particularly nice thing to say. We're trying to give people a space here where they feel free to ask questions and talk about their problems. Saying things like that takes away from that.

And anyway, this isn't about learning a new skill, this is about solving a problem that TS doesn't understand and obviously doesn't know enough to find the help they need on their own. This is exactly the point at which a person is going to get most frustrated and need the most encouragement to get past it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Acoustics are pretty much impossible to get perfectly in tune because the saddles are not singular like electrics.
Is it going sharp or flat when you fret a note? If it is flat, you could try raising your action a little by cutting something the thickness of a business card and putting it under the saddle.
If it is going sharp, you could sand the bottom of the saddle to lower the action. BE CAREFUL, going too low will cause buzzing.
Also try "Tempered" tuning by tuning the E notes perfect on each string, that is open high E, B5, G9, D14, A 7th fret harmonic, and E 5th fret harmonic.
If you like the way the guitar already feels, I would do the tempered first. That is how I usually tune my guitars
There are a variety of things that can be happening. Anything from the set up to strings to overall guitar integrity. I would suggest going to a different guitar tech than you mentioned and describe what's going on. Maybe the guitar neck or head stock took a hit you may not be aware of. Also, a big game changer could be the weather. When it's cold out, the heat we pump into our homes can have disastrous effects on the wood, acoustic or electric. I find it more challenging going to keep it in tune durning the winter months than the summer.

🎸

Ps. Don't let this push you away, it's easy to get frustrated, but if you love playing you can always trade it in for something different. If you love to play and learn the instrument, you'll find a way to keep it alive.
Last edited by gravitycure at Apr 20, 2015,
You said it wasn't like that when you got it, are the strings on there now the same gauge as when you first got it?
I'm not sure what you mean be "never in tune". Do you mean you can't get it into tune or that you get it into tune, and it goes out of tune over some period of time? If it is the first, it might be some kind of mechanical problem in the tuners, or you might not have put the strings in the tuner posts properly, or the strings might not be properly seated in the bridge. - Beginners often have problems due to not stringing the guitar up properly. If this is the case, look up some Youtube vids, and don't forget "tune and yank", repeated until the tuning remains stable.

If the guitar goes out of tune of a period of a few days, this is normal, but some guitars are more unstable than others. It also depends on environment - changes in temperature and/or humidity will put a guitar out of tune.
Maybe the nut on the guitar needs to be fixed or replaced,
Bring it to a tech to fix that exact issue - if that doesn't work, then get a better guitar. It's really that simple.
Quote by marioamgad9
I'm quitting guitar once and for all... I started to really hate guitar. I really need help!

So what's the verdict? Did you quit or follow some of the advise posted here?

🎸